Best Games to Rewatch

Mike
This post was recognized by Mike!

tneun89 was awarded the badge 'Great Content' and 25 points.

With the start of fall camp coming up next Wednesday, I'm getting more excited for the season and starting to rewatch old ND games on YouTube. I was born in 1989, so I unfortunately missed the Holtz era.  The 2002 season is the first one I vividly remember and the 2005 team is still my favorite team of all time, so I tend to watch games from those years. 

Some of my favorites include:

• 2002 Florida State (huge upset and Arnaz Battle doing the tomahawk chop after his TD)
  • 2005 Michigan (miss those days of playing on a sunny afternoon in Ann Arbor)
  • 2005 USC (Bush Push)
  • 2006 Michigan State (17-point comeback in the fourth in the rain)

From the BK era:

• 2012 Stanford (goal line stand in OT)
  • 2012 Oklahoma (huge underdog - best win of the BK era)
  • 2014 FSU (pain at the end, but amazing game)
  • 2015 Clemson (see above)
  • 2017 USC (absolute beatdown)
  • 2018 Michigan (Finke)
  • 2019 Georgia (more pain)
  • 2020 Clemson (Kyren on the *first official* play of the game)

Freeman Era

• 2022 Clemson (punt block, B-Mo INT TD)
  • 2022 South Carolina (Gator Bowl)

What are games others like to rewatch? Any recommendations for games from the 80s and 90s?

• Heart 4

I had the misfortune of watching ND at USC 1996 last night. A combination of nostalgia and football withdrawal compelled me to leave it on even though it was the Pac12 station, and I knew they wouldn't play a good game.  I couldn't remember if I was at that game or not, getting old sucks. I do distinctly remember watching the 2000 game at the Coliseum, that also sucked.

• Heart 2

Three games from the '88 season:  of course Miami, USC, and the the NC game against WVU.

1993 FSU

1992 Snow Bowl against Pedo State

Montana's chicken soup game against Houston, Cotton Bowl 1979.

The original Green Jersey game 1973 vs USC.

1973 Sugar Bowl vs Alabama, for the natty and part of Bear Bryant's 0-4 record against the Irish.

1978 Cotton Bowl vs Texas, another natty game.

1966 MSU tie, bit boring score wise and a tie, but those two teams were really good.

And any of the games vs Meatchicken from '87-'93, minus the loss in '91 and maybe the tie in '92.  My hate for those f'ers really came out.  Oh and because F them, the sweet shutout in 2014!

• Heart 2

I have watched quite a few of these recently(before these suggestions).  
Two thoughts. 
1.  Man, I feel sorry for us ND fans. These are our options?  8 games or so?  
2.  On the first point. A lot of these games are so long ago now. Which is also sad. 
They also aren’t as great as I remember. 
A lot if three yards here and low scoring games that when you rewatch them aren’t just kinda blah to me. 
“The Snow Bowl” as an example. Not a lot of excitement. 
I know they were great at the time but they haven’t aged real well. 
ND needs to get their shyt together this century. 

• Heart 1

13 minutes ago, coltssb said:

I have watched quite a few of these recently(before these suggestions).  
Two thoughts. 
1.  Man, I feel sorry for us ND fans. These are our options?  8 games or so?  
2.  On the first point. A lot of these games are so long ago now. Which is also sad. 
They also aren’t as great as I remember. 
A lot if three yards here and low scoring games that when you rewatch them aren’t just kinda blah to me. 
“The Snow Bowl” as an example. Not a lot of excitement. 
I know they were great at the time but they haven’t aged real well. 
ND needs to get their shyt together this century. 

I understand.  Folks like to see basketball on grass.  It's fun to watch at times.  I like defense and strong run games.  The heyday of ND under Lou is what I'm fond of.

There are certainly good games post Lou, but the match ups with NC implications have been fewer.  Wins against highly ranked opponents have been just as sparse.  2012 was great until the end, if we won the NC then it would go down as one of the best seasons ever for ND.

1 hour ago, jessemoore97 said:

I understand.  Folks like to see basketball on grass.  It's fun to watch at times.  I like defense and strong run games.  The heyday of ND under Lou is what I'm fond of.

There are certainly good games post Lou, but the match ups with NC implications have been fewer.  Wins against highly ranked opponents have been just as sparse.  2012 was great until the end, if we won the NC then it would go down as one of the best seasons ever for ND.

Oh I sometimes crave for the meat helmets to come back. But seriously, I just watched a game with ND vs Michigan where Lou, as much he says differently, played for a tie at the end of the game. I believe it was 7-7 or something like that. Two hours of just meh really. That was the hey day?

3 hours ago, coltssb said:

Oh I sometimes crave for the meat helmets to come back. But seriously, I just watched a game with ND vs Michigan where Lou, as much he says differently, played for a tie at the end of the game. I believe it was 7-7 or something like that. Two hours of just meh really. That was the hey day?

It was for me.  I was born in '75, when I really latched onto football and ND football I was 13 and playing my first season with pads in Junior High.  It just happened to be the '88 season also, perfect storm I guess.

I could only imagine being alive during Leahy or Ara.  Not very many who were even born for Rockne let alone remember that time.  I can say I was alive for two ND championships, though I was just 2 in 1977 and hadn't followed football that closely yet.  😎

• Cheers 2