0 days until Kickoff

Will I be able to stop myself from posting 100 days in a row..  

15 members have voted

1. 1. Can I avoid posting each day for 100 days?

• No way.
    • Maybe
    • Faith can stop if he wants too. But he doesn't want too.

On 5/20/2023 at 3:36 PM, FaithInIrish Forever said:

Anyone have any good 1960s-1970's Notre Dame football stories to tell?

I was at ND for Montana's last season.  Went to the Ice Bowl Cotton Bowl against Houston.  Ice everywhere.  Had a Zamboni help clear the field before the game (no joke).  High was 24 degrees with 18 mile an hour wind.  That game was such an epic, horrible beatdown.  Until the final 8 minutes!

• Heart 1

7 hours ago, AnTostal said:

I was at ND for Montana's last season.  Went to the Ice Bowl Cotton Bowl against Houston.  Ice everywhere.  Had a Zamboni help clear the field before the game (no joke).  High was 24 degrees with 18 mile an hour wind.  That game was such an epic, horrible beatdown.  Until the final 8 minutes!

image.jpeg

Any Idea why Montana didn't play more at ND?

Jerome Bettis                                                                           vs.                     Ricky Watters                                                   

image.png        image.png

When I first set this up I'm like no contest the Bus. But Ricky had a lot less carries with a better average per carry.

Thoughts?

17 hours ago, FaithInIrish Forever said:

image.jpeg

Any Idea why Montana didn't play more at ND?

I think Devine didn't know what he had in Montana.  Parseghian recruited Montana, but then left.  Montana injured his shoulder in I think his second year and missed most of the season.  At the start of the 1977 season Devine had Montana third on the depth chart, behind Rusty Lisch and Gary Forystek.  Lisch strugged and got benched for Forystek.  Forystek got hurt against Purdue in their third game.  In came Joe, and the rest is history.  Joe started I think 7 or 8 games his junior year, and all of the games his final year.  But, 'back in the day' it was pretty common for QB's not to start until they were juniors or seniors.

If I remember correctly, Montana's team also won the Bookstore Basketball tournament his final year.  He was a good athlete.

• Heart 2

4 hours ago, AnTostal said:

I think Devine didn't know what he had in Montana.  Parseghian recruited Montana, but then left.  Montana injured his shoulder in I think his second year and missed most of the season.  At the start of the 1977 season Devine had Montana third on the depth chart, behind Rusty Lisch and Gary Forystek.  Lisch strugged and got benched for Forystek.  Forystek got hurt against Purdue in their third game.  In came Joe, and the rest is history.  Joe started I think 7 or 8 games his junior year, and all of the games his final year.  But, 'back in the day' it was pretty common for QB's not to start until they were juniors or seniors.

If I remember correctly, Montana's team also won the Bookstore Basketball tournament his final year.  He was a good athlete.

Thanks for clearing that up for me! So Montana did get almost 2 seasons worth of starts.