'23 KS RB/APB/Slot Dylan Edwards Decommits

I try not to hold others to a higher standard. I happen to love where I work. Still, if someone offered me more money, a better title, and an easier path to promotion (see link), I might be tempted to leave.

Best of luck to the kid. ND will likely be fine without him.

https://www.si.com/college/notredame/recruiting/running-back-dylan-edwards-decommits-from-notre-dame-football

• Heart 1
  • Cheers 1

16 minutes ago, NYGoldenDomer said:

After just hosting the coaches in his home 2 days ago.  What a punk.  frig him then, ND will be fine without him.

Right. Unless he told them right then. But why have the coaches come to your house?  Just tell them over the phone before they fly over there. My favorite salesman selling his bs already. Good luck with that 4-8 season at Colorado. Deion cares about one person. Deion. 

• Heart 1

He's Colorado bound. His dad has some relationship with Deion.

He would have been dynamic at ND. Brutal loss, no doubt.

That said, many KState people were almost relieved when he decommitted. Mentioned issues with the dad, in particular. Obviously just rumors, but the KState people are in the same community as Dylan Edwards, so probably some truth to them. 

31 minutes ago, tneun89 said:

He's Colorado bound. His dad has some relationship with Deion.

He would have been dynamic at ND. Brutal loss, no doubt.

That said, many KState people were almost relieved when he decommitted. Mentioned issues with the dad, in particular. Obviously just rumors, but the KState people are in the same community as Dylan Edwards, so probably some truth to them. 

So ND avoided a problem father is what you're saying?

Honestly, this won’t be the last. Man, I wished we had that speed. ND’s been lacking that for awhile now. But as Hoosier said, keep the other two and we are fine. ND has a very solid class. Nil, transfer is something I guess we’ll all have to get used to..especially me as a fan..

• Heart 1

Sucks to lose speed like Edwards has.  Really think his fit would have differentiated him from other RB/WRs on the roster and incoming guys.  

My larger concern is that ND always seems to be on the bad end of flipping recruits.  Sure doesn't seem like the staff puts much time/energy into flipping high profile commits from other schools.  Why not!?!

4 minutes ago, 4thand1 said:

My larger concern is that ND always seems to be on the bad end of flipping recruits.  Sure doesn't seem like the staff puts much time/energy into flipping high profile commits from other schools.  Why not!?!

My suspicion is that this is a case of "availability bias," the tendency we have to believe that the things that come readily to mind are more representative than is actually the case. In other words, it feels that way to me because I care about and follow ND. However, I suspect it also happens to other schools at a similar rate.

For example, Edwards was a flip from KSU. Minchey was a flip from Pitt.

• Heart 1

This is the way going forward, I think, until something changes related to NIL and/or the portal.

It seems unlikely things will change much with the portal, though.  If coaches can recruit and sign kids, only to leave in late December, players should be able to transfer too.  And they are.  In big numbers. 

I do believe there will be changes to NIL as schools develop a better understanding of how things work and how much players make in relation to their on-field performance and their tenure at the schools.  Pay for play is here to stay, but I suspect the changes, they are a-coming.  

I'm sad to lose Edwards.  Seems like quite a talent.  I'd hate to be a coach in this era.  So much uncertainty with any commitment.  As BIG has mentioned many times, buckle up, people.  Early signing period is an eternity away.

• Heart 1

History says that a kid that flips this much is gonna flounder….  I mean good luck to him, but the grass is always greener, he won’t stick somewhere and commit, so then he’ll never work his way up the food chain…if ya don’t do that, it’s pretty much over for you…

Maybe he’ll prove me wrong.

• Heart 1
  • Cheers 1

TAMU just poached a 5 star RB from Louisville. It’s been a great run for coach Freeman but this is where the money starts flowing. Either the NIL money is good at ND and we keep guys or it isn’t and we get the oddball who cares about tradition and education over a big payday.

• Heart 1

12 hours ago, EddieAngel said:

TAMU just poached a 5 star RB from Louisville. It’s been a great run for coach Freeman but this is where the money starts flowing. Either the NIL money is good at ND and we keep guys or it isn’t and we get the oddball who cares about tradition and education over a big payday.

ND is fine on NIL numbers, the difference is that ND is actually following the ACTUAL rules and not enticing players to come to their school because of a contract (again, it is against the rules to do it). ND players are making pretty darn good money, they just dont advertise it or promise high school players you get $XXXXXX if you come to us.

I do think parts of NIL will balance itself out. Look at TAMU after their historic recruiting class that was bought for $30m.

3 minutes ago, NDhoosier said:

ND is fine on NIL numbers, the difference is that ND is actually following the ACTUAL rules and not enticing players to come to their school because of a contract (again, it is against the rules to do it). ND players are making pretty darn good money, they just dont advertise it or promise high school players you get $XXXXXX if you come to us.

I do think parts of NIL will balance itself out. Look at TAMU after their historic recruiting class that was bought for $30m.

Doubt schools (SEC and other football factories) really need to advertise. Most kids already know. Kids now have agents, lawyers, etc... And there are companies that pair players with sponsors. There are booster collectives, and other groups that help too. Not sure what ND does specifically, or allows, but kids only need to know school specific rules. And the money finds them. 

22 hours ago, NYGoldenDomer said:

So ND avoided a problem father is what you're saying?

That's my glass half full / trying to make myself feel better take. Plenty of smoke about his dad.

But this is a huge loss, even with a stacked RB room. He is such a different type of athlete that what ND has on the roster - think of a more agile and dynamic Chris Tyree. That's how I view Edwards.

• Cheers 1

• 8 months later...