The future CFP National Championship could be a 12 team playoff

I would personally hate a 12-team playoff. It would render the regular season virtually meaningless. It would be nice to give more schools/conferences access to the playoff, but does anyone really think a 12-team playoff makes it more likely that one of the current elites doesn't win it all? If anything, it makes it more likely that Alabama, Clemson, and Ohio State win it every year. Maybe Georgia, LSU, or Oklahoma can pull it off one year when everything clicks (LSU 2019), but in a 10-year period, at the rate recruiting is going where all of the elite recruits are only going to a handful of schools, Alabama/Clemson/Ohio State will win at least 8 of the 10 championships.

Completely disagree.  It would align it with every other sport.  Automatic bids for conference champs and at large.  And more importantly, it would give the small schools exposure to prove themselves and make money for facilities to recruit and ultimately retain coaches.  I personally think it should be 14-16.  Right now, the playoff is weak sauce, bullsh!t in my opinion.

• Heart 1

I personally would love the expansion and believe it would bring more parity to the game overall. It would also give more opportunities for the top dogs to trip up. I don’t know how it would make the regular season meaningless. The 12 teams still have to win their games in order to qualify. If anything it would make the regular season more important for teams 5 - 12 because if they lose 1 game they still have a shot and a reason to play for. 

• Heart 1

I am all for 12 teams. The favorites may still win, but it gives more teams an opportunity and exposure. You never know what could happen. From what I have heard it sounds like it will happen because of the money.  I would love for them to start it in December and have meaningful football right after the end of the regular season.  I know nay sayers say 4 is enough because they don’t want to watch a bunch of blowouts.  Even playoff blowouts would be better than more meaningless bowls that I don’t tune in for. I think eventually if more teams have a chance then the playing field in recruiting might even out some. 

• Heart 2

3 hours ago, ndfanatic78 said:

I personally would love the expansion and believe it would bring more parity to the game overall. It would also give more opportunities for the top dogs to trip up. I don’t know how it would make the regular season meaningless. The 12 teams still have to win their games in order to qualify. If anything it would make the regular season more important for teams 5 - 12 because if they lose 1 game they still have a shot and a reason to play for. 

Teams 5-12 would have to beat 2 or 3 of the elite teams, which is almost impossible when you don’t have comparable talent. Alabama, Clemson, and Ohio State are only distancing themselves further from the rest of CFP with how they’ve been recruiting. Trying to beat 2 of those teams without the requisite talent will nearly impossible.

It makes the regular season meaningless because of precisely what you just said. Teams can lose and still get in. The reason CFB is so great is because every game is do or die. A 12-team playoff would have made Clemson-ND Part I much less exciting because the loser would still have been guaranteed to make it assuming they take care of business against a mediocre ACC. Games like Clemson-Georgia and Oregon-Ohio State next year would be more like exhibitions because a loss doesn’t matter. It also makes upsets less meaningful. Ohio State losing to Purdue kept them out of the Playoff in 2018. It wouldn’t have mattered in a 12-team format.

Last season, 3 of the Top 12 in the final CFP Rankings had 2 losses, including Iowa State who lost by 17 to Louisiana and Oklahoma who lost to 4-6 Kansas State. The regular season has to mean something. There are only a few teams that deserve to be in title contention every year. The 12-Team Playoff will result in more blowouts and the same 3 teams celebrating at the end of every season because other schools who undeservingly make it will not be able to pull off 2 or 3 upsets in a playoff.

It probably cannot get any worse than the current CFP in terms of concentration of teams.

While an 12th seed might not win the 4 games needed for the NC, There is an increased chance for an upset since the Alabama, Ohio St, and Clemson's will each need to win one more game assuming that they stay ranked in the top 4.

Right now, they basically play each other and only one other team like ND, Oklahoma, Georgia, LSU, etc. for the NC.

Edited by jbrown_9999
  • Heart 1

I would have to agree with the majority of views so far. I would have no problem with expanding the number to 12. It would give more teams the spotlight if only for a game. That would mean a lot to the players and their fans……they had a chance to beat one of the BIG dogs. OMG Syracuse fans still talk about how they beat Clemson like it was yesterday.

Agree Teun.  Another thing to note. Don’t teams already have to play two elites to win it every year?  Ohio Stare had to play Clemson then Alabama. That didn’t work for them. ND would of had to bear Bama then TOSU to win it. Again, highly unlikely.  
Here’s another scenario with ND, say they are 6th or something. Their first round matchup is LSU/Oklahoma while #1 ranked Bama(which will be almost every year) would be playing Iowa State. So while ND is getting beat up Bama is resting players with their already more stacked lineup. Then,  ND’s second game is Clemson. Lastly, ND has to play Bama or tOSU for the final. As Teun said, guys who are 5-12 have almost no chance of winning because of the disparity of talent between the top three teams. All you would be getting is what we already have now.  The top four teams playing for a championship. 

Sure, you may have that team like UCF beat a favorite here and there. But there depth would show through during the second week of bowling.  

I like the thought of adding all the conference champs but 12 teams seems a bit much. 

3 hours ago, coltssb said:

Agree Teun.  Another thing to note. Don’t teams already have to play two elites to win it every year?  Ohio Stare had to play Clemson then Alabama. That didn’t work for them. ND would of had to bear Bama then TOSU to win it. Again, highly unlikely.  
Here’s another scenario with ND, say they are 6th or something. Their first round matchup is LSU/Oklahoma while #1 ranked Bama(which will be almost every year) would be playing Iowa State. So while ND is getting beat up Bama is resting players with their already more stacked lineup. Then,  ND’s second game is Clemson. Lastly, ND has to play Bama or tOSU for the final. As Teun said, guys who are 5-12 have almost no chance of winning because of the disparity of talent between the top three teams. All you would be getting is what we already have now.  The top four teams playing for a championship. 

Sure, you may have that team like UCF beat a favorite here and there. But there depth would show through during the second week of bowling.  

I like the thought of adding all the conference champs but 12 teams seems a bit much. 

This is assuming that everything stays as it is. If you look at the history of the game it does not. Teams come and go at the top. New teams emerge and top dogs fall. It has also been seen that when more access is given the talent disparity increases. If players have the opportunity to play for playoff teams and not have to sit to play at one of the top 4 teams you are going to see more players going to those teams. I truly believe parity is coming to college football and with increased team access in the playoffs it will speed up the process.

5 hours ago, ndfanatic78 said:

This is assuming that everything stays as it is. If you look at the history of the game it does not. Teams come and go at the top. New teams emerge and top dogs fall. It has also been seen that when more access is given the talent disparity increases. If players have the opportunity to play for playoff teams and not have to sit to play at one of the top 4 teams you are going to see more players going to those teams. I truly believe parity is coming to college football and with increased team access in the playoffs it will speed up the process.

Saban just signed through 28’.  Dabo signed an extension not too long ago. Ohio State will always recruit well. Maybe Day leaves for the NFL. Either way, those three are going to be in the upper echelon for at least the next three years. So, if you’re talking long haul, sure. But nothings happening anytime soon for the lower ranked teams. 

3 hours ago, Officer Tim McCarthy said:

Could push ND to join the ACC for real given in this proposal ND can never get a bye (1-4) because they’ll never be conference champs

Swarbrick is apart of this. I feel he’s a little sneaky. That his overall goal is to have ND join a conference. 

11 hours ago, Officer Tim McCarthy said:

Could push ND to join the ACC for real given in this proposal ND can never get a bye (1-4) because they’ll never be conference champs

i feel quite the opposite.  When asked about the first round bye JS stated that the other teams have the option of losign their bye during the conf champ game and that this is the trade off. 

Hell, i would rather a Dec snowy game against a southern team. 

The assumption that teams 1-4 will dominate is baloney because a playoff ultimately spreads money.  Money and exposure are the key to recruiting.  

I grew up watching Memphis football and basketball.  I have one foot in that world and one in ND’s world.  Calipari made a living at Memphis promising kids great facilities, his tenure as coach, and exposure.  Play big nonconference games, sweep the conference, get in the tourney and make a run.  Somebody like Malzahn at UCF could do the same and when he does, there will be extra money in the program and they will load up with recruits who can play immediately with the promise of making the playoff every year.  This dilutes the Bamas of the world and dilutes the grip the power fice conferences have on the money.  Hell, maybe UCF and Memphis would’ve held on to their last two coaches, or Boise State with Hawkins or Petersen.

Anything against a large playoff is either short sighted stupidity or selfish corruption, in my opinion.

• Heart 2

If ND were to be ranked 5-8 they would have an additional home game. Big bucks, good television exposure. 
If they win, then it’s on to a neutral site game.  It seems in a way that the most highly rated conference champion teams (the 1-4 seeds) are penalized because they would only play neutral site games, no home games. 

I think this system will ultimately dilute the talent pool a bit, taking a few players away from the usual 3-4 teams that dominate recruiting. Of course only time will tell, and this is probably at least a few years from happening. 

3 hours ago, NDhoosier said:

I think 12 is too much, it makes the regular season meaningless. I think 4 is fine, but 8 would be alright (Notre Dame could lose a game and still get in with 8 teams).

So, college basketball seasons are meaningless...?  Literally the postseason for every other NCAA sport is meaningless?  The NBA season and NFL seasons are meaningless...?

• Heart 1

3 hours ago, irishwavend said:

So, college basketball seasons are meaningless...?  Literally the postseason for every other NCAA sport is meaningless?  The NBA season and NFL seasons are meaningless...?

yes, absolutely; the regular season is watered down. College football is the last remaining sport that each and every game is important. No one cares about the NBA until the playoffs, same can be said for college basketball. NFL (while the ratings are clearly declining for other easons) is the one sport that has a watered down regular season but still gets a good crowd, but that is because people love football and there are only 16 games.

• Leprechaun 1