The future CFP National Championship could be a 12 team playoff

3 hours ago, NDhoosier said:

Who is generating money? NBA and NFL both had pretty big declines in ratings. Not sure losing money from year-to-year really proves your point.

Pretty sure the athletes are still making millions...  That’s evidence of how much those sports are making.

22 hours ago, NDhoosier said:

Who is generating money? NBA and NFL both had pretty big declines in ratings. Not sure losing money from year-to-year really proves your point.

Are you really trying to say the loss of ratings is because the playoffs? Both of those sports had their highest regular season ratings while the playoffs existed. There are many reasons for the drop in ratings and none of them have to do with a playoff system.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

I think 12 is too much. 

6 or 8 is plenty to keep the integrity of the regular season while allowing the opportunity for group of 5 teams to get in and showcase/grow their brand. 

Also would like to see the use of bowl games to play-out the bracket. Watching Jan 6 bowl games have become a waste of time. 

6 team format would force ND to join a league. 8 teams would allow UND to remain independent. 

6 Teams with 4 conference tie-ins is essentially a 10 team playoff if the runner ups do not get the remaining 2 at large bids. 

• Heart 1

I wonder if it’s inevitable to have 12 teams with this new alliance. 
I can see 6 teams from the SEC crying they deserve to get it. Then you have at least 6 teams from the b10, pac-16, and ACC crying to get in. Along with ND and whoever else is left. 
I think they are going to have to get to 12 teams the way this is playing out. 
Because you know the way the SEC sets up their top teams schedules that will allow for a few of them to go with one loss seasons. 
It’s going to be a mess for sure. 

On 6/8/2021 at 7:58 PM, tneun89 said:

Teams 5-12 would have to beat 2 or 3 of the elite teams, which is almost impossible when you don’t have comparable talent. Alabama, Clemson, and Ohio State are only distancing themselves further from the rest of CFP with how they’ve been recruiting. Trying to beat 2 of those teams without the requisite talent will nearly impossible.

It makes the regular season meaningless because of precisely what you just said. Teams can lose and still get in. The reason CFB is so great is because every game is do or die. A 12-team playoff would have made Clemson-ND Part I much less exciting because the loser would still have been guaranteed to make it assuming they take care of business against a mediocre ACC. Games like Clemson-Georgia and Oregon-Ohio State next year would be more like exhibitions because a loss doesn’t matter. It also makes upsets less meaningful. Ohio State losing to Purdue kept them out of the Playoff in 2018. It wouldn’t have mattered in a 12-team format.

Last season, 3 of the Top 12 in the final CFP Rankings had 2 losses, including Iowa State who lost by 17 to Louisiana and Oklahoma who lost to 4-6 Kansas State. The regular season has to mean something. There are only a few teams that deserve to be in title contention every year. The 12-Team Playoff will result in more blowouts and the same 3 teams celebrating at the end of every season because other schools who undeservingly make it will not be able to pull off 2 or 3 upsets in a playoff.

If ND had not played in ACC last year Clemson may not have made the playoff. IMHO

I also think 12 is too much and dilutes the regular season. I can easily see a couple two-loss teams getting in. Pre-season rankings will be much more important as well because if you start the season high, two losses and you are still in (obviously I understand it depends on the losses). Take for example, Alabama is pre-season #1, but losses to Miami and Georgia (their two biggest games of the regular season), they could still get in the playoffs even though they lost their two big games of the year. I dont like it...

Yea I don't like 12.  No more than 8 in my opinion and even that is going to take something away from the regular season.  If they go as high as 12 then the NCAA is going to have to do something different with the regular season.  Its going to have to be all in conference games to establish conference rankings and then go from there.  It'll end up being just like the NFL playoffs.  Divisional rounds, conference rounds, etc.

• 2 months later...
On 9/2/2021 at 10:18 AM, NDhoosier said:

I also think 12 is too much and dilutes the regular season. I can easily see a couple two-loss teams getting in. Pre-season rankings will be much more important as well because if you start the season high, two losses and you are still in (obviously I understand it depends on the losses). Take for example, Alabama is pre-season #1, but losses to Miami and Georgia (their two biggest games of the regular season), they could still get in the playoffs even though they lost their two big games of the year. I dont like it...

The rankings don’t start until week 8 so I don’t see that as a problem. I don’t have an issue with it. More playoff games and nd getting a shot almost every year at the playoffs. Sign me up.  Hell if Alabama loses a close game to Georgia they will be in with 2 losses this year.  Might as well open it up.

• Heart 1

1 hour ago, Domers23 said:

The rankings don’t start until week 8 so I don’t see that as a problem. I don’t have an issue with it. More playoff games and nd getting a shot almost every year at the playoffs. Sign me up.  Hell if Alabama loses a close game to Georgia they will be in with 2 losses this year.  Might as well open it up.

I dont see a two loss Alabama getting in the playoffs. I think Notre Dame would have a great shot every year with 8 teams.

Just now, NDhoosier said:

I dont see a two loss Alabama getting in the playoffs. I think Notre Dame would have a great shot every year with 8 teams.

I think it depends how the rest of the teams finish.  If Alabama loses the SECCG with a game ending field goal and Oregon has another loss I can still see Bama getting in over Cincinnati.  That is why I am praying Auburn knocks off Bama.

Also, even at 4 teams the Irish have been right there with a chance just about every season.  If we didn't blow our chances during the comeback against Cincinnati we would be right up there at 3 or 4.

• 1 month later...
On 11/16/2021 at 6:28 PM, NYGoldenDomer said:
On 11/16/2021 at 6:32 PM, NYGoldenDomer said:

I never was able to get anyone to DM me these two articles.  I would still appreciate it if someone could....as well as this one too lol
https://www.espn.com/college-football/insider/story/_/id/32979717/why-college-football-primed-unexpected-powerhouse-emerge

Despicable Me Please GIF

• 1 month later...

Why the College Football Playoff is not expanding -- and what's next

For more than eight months, leaders of the College Football Playoff have been unable to unanimously agree on what the future format of the sport's postseason should look like. This week, they finally agreed to disagree, recommitting to the four-team format for the next four years. Friday's news ended all speculation about whether the playoff would expand before the current contract expires following the 2025 season.

That the 10 FBS commissioners and Notre Dame athletic director Jack Swarbrick were unable to agree to the specifics of a 12-team format was not surprising, considering that's exactly what has happened during their past nine in-person meetings. (That includes three straight days of meetings before the national championship game in January.) Nothing changed Wednesday afternoon, when they had a critical videoconference to determine whether it was worth continuing to try to push forward in spite of their differences.

On Thursday, the 11 school presidents and chancellors who have the authority to change the playoff approved a recommendation from the 10 FBS commissioners and Swarbrick to remain at four teams for the remainder of the 12-year contract, which runs through the 2025 season. Because there are still two years remaining on the current deal, the vote to make any changes had to be unanimous.

Why it fell apart

There are multiple reasons -- and it's unfair and inaccurate to pin it on one conference or person -- but the most glaring are the ACC's stance that now is not the right time to expand, and the Big Ten's public push for automatic qualifiers. The Big Ten did favor expansion during the current contract, but also shared concerns in the room about revenue distribution and the Rose Bowl's relationships with the Pac-12, Big Ten and CFP.

"To be very clear, the Big Ten Conference supports expansion of the College Football Playoff system -- for our student-athletes, member institutions and fans," Warren said in a statement Friday. "Expansion provides increased opportunities, exposure and value for our member institutions, student-athletes, coaches, football teams and athletic programs. I trust that we will continue to collectively address the unresolved matters and move forward with expansion for the greater good of college football."

Phillips pointed to three main reasons for the league's reluctance: too many unanswered questions as it relates to the health and safety of the athletes; the "overall disruption in college athletics," including the new NCAA constitution and a desperate plea for federal legislation as it relates to NIL; and a 365-day "holistic review" of policy as it relates to the sport.

Even though the ACC champion, No. 12 Pitt, would have qualified for a 12-team playoff had it existed this year, Phillips said his coaches are unanimous in their opinion that "this isn't the right time."

https://www.espn.com/college-football/story/_/id/33320585/why-college-football-playoff-not-expanding-next