Forum Upgrades

Message added by Mike,

Continue discussions about forum updates and features in the new forum upgrades topic for 2024.

9 minutes ago, nd_irish said:

Not sure if it was changed for everyone or if I accidentally changed it just for myself, but is it possible to switch from the dark background back to the white background?  If so, how?

Look at the bottom of the screen for “THEME” and that will change it

• Heart 1
  • Trophy 1

• 2 weeks later...
2 hours ago, Big23Head said:

Can Instagram posts be put into posts?

Testing:

Edit: Nope, not yet, but I believe the very next software upgrade will add the ability. The software is ready to push out, but I'm just waiting on the couple plugins I use to update for compatibility before upgrading.

Reintroduced the ability to automatically embed Facebook and Instagram links in posts.

On 5/18/2021 at 5:27 PM, Mike said:

Hey Domers! The next version of the Software is in Beta, which means in a few weeks / months, we'll be ready to upgrade. Don't worry, this will be extremely minor in comparison to the last update, and these typically happen once a year, occasionally twice. Each new version is usually 7 - 10 months apart. And these upgrades are usually focused around bug fixes & new features. 

Some of the bigger features to expect:

• Achievements - I have no idea how I'm going to incorporate them, but should be able to have some fun with it
  • Web app & Push Notifications - This is something you will be able to enable if you choose, allowing notifications on your mobile device or desktop computer. Also so it isn't overwhelming, it will keep related notifications merged into one. This will be optional for those who choose to opt-in.
  • Spam improvements - New features to help prevent spammers from registering

There will be much more, but if you'd like to see the full list in the changelog, you can do so here. I will let you know when to expect the updates, and most members probably won't even notice the update has taken place. Like I said, the new version is in Beta, but I will be waiting until the stable version rolls out, as well as making sure any apps / plugins being used is compatible.

Thanks everyone!

I just updated the forum software to the newest version of the software. I also cleaned up the Dark Theme a bit, making some buttons that were previously hard to see stand out more. If you see anything strange, let me know here or send a private message. Thanks!

Just now, jbrown_9999 said:

I had changed to Dark background but it flipped back to white. Not a big deal but just passing it on

Sorry about that. The old theme I was using for Dark Mode was incompatible with the new software, so I had to disable it / create a new dark theme. Sorry for the inconvenience there. 

Logging In system change.

For security reasons, when you log-in going forward, you'll need to use your email address. It used to be login OR display name. But there's a security risk of bots being able to potentially login / guess your password via display name. We never saw that be a problem, but don't want to see it be a problem either. Since emails are private / inaccessible to members or bots, it's more secure.

If you have any problems / forgot your email, you can use the "Contact Us' button in the footer and I'll lend a hand.

• 3 weeks later...

Is there any adjustment for the light and dark themes with regard to when I copy and paste. See here: 

Switch back and forth between light and dark mode. The ones that remain dark I copied from the recruit list so I don't have to link them constantly for each post. Anyway that can be made compatible both directions? Thanks.

34 minutes ago, Big23Head said:

Is there any adjustment for the light and dark themes with regard to when I copy and paste. See here: 

Switch back and forth between light and dark mode. The ones that remain dark I copied from the recruit list so I don't have to link them constantly for each post. Anyway that can be made compatible both directions? Thanks.

The only way I knew of doing that would be to Right Click > Paste as Plain Text when pasting it. That would remove any formatting / hyperlinks, etc. though.  It's always been one of my pet peeves with the software. I can make it do 'plain text' by default, but once again, all those 'rich' features would be lost.

I did some digging and I was able to add a 'Clear Format' button that I could add to the editor. You should now be able to highlight the text that's wrong and click this button, which should fix it for both dark & light mode. Unfortunately there's no way to have it apply automatically that I can find, but it's a band-aid that beats doing it manually.

Note: Different color text, underline, and bold may revert to default font, but hyperlinks so should remain in place.

Tested below:

MO CB Christian Gray (Offer)
PA LB Ta'Mere Robinson (Offer)
OH DL Luke Montgomery (Offer)*

image.png.90597855ef48dbccd76a234cb13edaba.png

2 hours ago, Mike said:

The only way I knew of doing that would be to Right Click > Paste as Plain Text when pasting it. That would remove any formatting / hyperlinks, etc. though.  It's always been one of my pet peeves with the software. I can make it do 'plain text' by default, but once again, all those 'rich' features would be lost.

I did some digging and I was able to add a 'Clear Format' button that I could add to the editor. You should now be able to highlight the text that's wrong and click this button, which should fix it for both dark & light mode. Unfortunately there's no way to have it apply automatically that I can find, but it's a band-aid that beats doing it manually.

Note: Different color text, underline, and bold may revert to default font, but hyperlinks so should remain in place.

Tested below:

MO CB Christian Gray (Offer)
PA LB Ta'Mere Robinson (Offer)
OH DL Luke Montgomery (Offer)*

image.png.90597855ef48dbccd76a234cb13edaba.png

That is a big help. Thank you. 

• Heart 1

4 hours ago, echo88 said:

Yeah I did that before and now it says Rocketsan "cant accept messages".  This is all working out so well.

I don't appreciate the sarcasm. Most members are a fan of the changes. And you're welcome be a part of the discussion and provide feedback. But if it's too much of an inconvenience, nobody's forcing you to hang around. Can't please everyone.

Anyways, there's a message quota of 50 conversations for members and 100 for mods. Anybody who was over that limit before the migration is over the quota and would need to get below it. Sounds like @Rocketsanis above that. I just added an alert plugin so members could hopefully see if they're over the quota going forward. Like I said, I'm receptive to feedback and will try to accommodate. 

Feel free to leave constructive criticism or feedback. But whining isn't a very mature approach.

Thanks.

• Heart 1

No, I was above the threshold on messages---not Jeff, as my initial post explained.  Messages that I would've liked to have hung on to even for nostalgic purposes, if nothing else.  I wiped them all out so I could send my message though.  And you're right about not being forced to stick around.  I've only seen about 10 members total post anything here since the ownership change, so Im not sure how you quantify that as "most".  Not that you held any open dialogue before making the changes anyway.  That's not "whining".  It's criticism of decisions you made in your own financial/creative design interests...on an ND forum supporting and discussing a team of which you are not even a fan.  Good luck with that.  

Edited by echo88

31 minutes ago, echo88 said:

No, I was above the threshold on messages---not Jeff, as my initial post explained.  Messages that I would've liked to have hung on to even for nostalgic purposes, if nothing else.  I wiped them all out so I could send my message though.  And you're right about not being forced to stick around.  I've only seen about 10 members total post anything here since the ownership change, so Im not sure how you quantify that as "most".  Not that you held any open dialogue before making the changes anyway.  That's not "whining".  It's criticism of decisions you made in your own financial/creative design interests...on an ND forum supporting and discussing a team of which you are not even a fan.  Good luck with that.  

Echo, as an IT type who had somewhat seriously considered buying the domain but who did not want the responsibility/time commitment, I do not have a problem with the work Mike has done. The prior site was on an old, unsupported version of software and upgrading or migrating it was something which probably should have been done sooner even if only for security purposes. IMO, Mike has been fairly responsive from a support/issue perspective (especially considering that this is probably more of a hobby given the financials). Is it perfect, no. But I do not have any major complaints.

Also, the old site is most likely backed up so those past messages might be available if Mike wanted to spend the time to do that. (good spot for the old catching flies with honey / vinegar adage ) 

Well as an IT type who actually tried to buy the domain but was inexplicably denied at the final hour, i respectfully disagree.  Ask before you making changes.   It's pretty simple.