Transfer portal names to know?

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Don't know for sure but just maybe he is trying to find a Kylar Murray, Drew Brees, Russel Wilson, or Lamar Jackson. Those guys are likely too short though.:biggrin1:

You know what’s common with all those? They never won a college championship:)

Neither did Tom Brady or Aaron Rodgers or Patrick Mahomes so what's your point?

The point...if Kelly has aspirations of ever winning a title at ND it’s not going to happen drafting 5’11 guys all the time.

But if he wants to set inflated records for passers who are short. Have at it.

Those potential portal QBs are worth considering. Honestly, I don't know how I or anyone else can presume to know what the best choice is. You have to trust the staff will make the best choice. They see the current QBs at practice and we don't.

The point...if Kelly has aspirations of ever winning a title at ND it’s not going to happen drafting 5’11 guys all the time.

But if he wants to set inflated records for passers who are short. Have at it.

Tua was in 2 consecutive Natty games and he's 6 ft, come on man.

You seem to of used that same logic with Jurk too. Never before seen qbs who you have first hand knowledge if they are better than their counterparts.

It's hard to imagine any QB worse than Guarantano and I'm not being hyperbolic. He's downright TERRIBLE.

Tua was in 2 consecutive Natty games and he's 6 ft, come on man.

2001 Ken Dorsey 6'4

2002 Craig Krenzel 6'4

2003 Matt Mauck 6'2

2004 Matt Leinart 6'5

2005 Vince Young 6'5

2006 Chris Leak 6'0 (shared with Tebow 6'3)

2007 Matt Flynn 6'2

2008 Tim Tebow 6'3

2009 Greg McElroy 6'2

2010 Cam Newton 6'5

2011 AJ McCarron 6'3

2012 AJ McCarron 6'3

2013 Jamesis Winston 6'4

2014 Cardale Jones 6'5

2015 Jake Coker 6'6

2016 Deshaun Watson 6'2

2017 Tua Tagliovoa 6'1

2018 Trevor Lawrence 6'6

2019 Joe Burrow 6'4

so yeah...let's keep drafting 6'0-6'1 noodle arm qb's like Rees, Book, Pyne, or athletic shorter qb's like Golson, Zaire and Wimbush and expect a different outcome.

C'mon..

2001 Ken Dorsey 6'4

2002 Craig Krenzel 6'4

2003 Matt Mauck 6'2

2004 Matt Leinart 6'5

2005 Vince Young 6'5

2006 Chris Leak 6'0 (shared with Tebow 6'3)

2007 Matt Flynn 6'2

2008 Tim Tebow 6'3

2009 Greg McElroy 6'2

2010 Cam Newton 6'5

2011 AJ McCarron 6'3

2012 AJ McCarron 6'3

2013 Jamesis Winston 6'4

2014 Cardale Jones 6'5

2015 Jake Coker 6'6

2016 Deshaun Watson 6'2

2017 Tua Tagliovoa 6'1

2018 Trevor Lawrence 6'6

2019 Joe Burrow 6'4

so yeah...let's keep drafting 6'0-6'1 noodle arm qb's like Rees, Book, Pyne, or athletic shorter qb's like Golson, Zaire and Wimbush and expect a different outcome.

C'mon..

I’m not saying this to refute your point, it’s more just an observation, but it’s wild to see this list and realize how few of these guys have had any sustained success in the NFL. Goes to show that QB is such a hard position to evaluate, recruit, and draft.

I’m not saying this to refute your point, it’s more just an observation, but it’s wild to see this list and realize how few of these guys have had any sustained success in the NFL. Goes to show that QB is such a hard position to evaluate, recruit, and draft.

Oh absolutely. I was feeling this way when I was writing it up. It's got to be one of the hardest positions to recruit. At the same time, you can recruit and miss when you have an outstanding defense and skill players around you. But if you don't, like ND, then you better hit on some really talented qb's. Which Kelly has missed a ton on.

But I still stand by my point, taller qb's tend to get the job done in college. Even if they are a head case like Jones, an idiot like Young, or game managers like McCarron, Stenzel, or McElroy. Size helps...

Oh absolutely. I was feeling this way when I was writing it up. It's got to be one of the hardest positions to recruit. At the same time, you can recruit and miss when you have an outstanding defense and skill players around you. But if you don't, like ND, then you better hit on some really talented qb's. Which Kelly has missed a ton on.

But I still stand by my point, taller qb's tend to get the job done in college. Even if they are a head case like Jones, an idiot like Young, or game managers like McCarron, Stenzel, or McElroy. Size helps...

Certainly fair, for sure. Kizer was on the taller side, and he was great when he was here (before things went sideways in ‘16.)

Grant Gunnell is another QB in the portal to keep an eye on. ND recruited him pretty heavily before he went to Arizona

I don’t know why I have the scorned girlfriend feel when a recruit that we targeted is deciding to transfer and now may want to come back. It’s a year lost with that recruit and the fact that he couldn’t beat out the guy ahead of him, or he couldn’t wait a year to start, puts a sour taste in my mouth. What’s he going to do when he gets here? Maybe he’s not that good? So many questions come to mind. I guess that can be said for any transfer though ha.