2020-21 women’s BB games

• 2 weeks later...
  • Replies 49
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

This article answered my question and rubbed some salt in the wound about Ivey's son. I still cringe that we didn't get him on the men's team. What a shame.

https://www.ndinsider.com/basketball/womens/why-olivia-miles-move-makes-sense-for-notre-dame/article_21c12f3b-4979-557f-996e-515dbea4fa77.html

I actually forgot about that...How does her son get away from ND?

ND wins by 11 ......59-48 ....against Pitt tonight (Monday). Miles that high school freshman guard looked good she makes things happen. She’s not the biggest or fastest she just keeps the ball moving. It sounds like they are an NCAA bubble team. Oh Sam B did not play tonight....my guess is it is Covid related.

Hey Frankus wrote the below on another thread I just moved it over here. I pretty much agree with his evaluation.

Just watched ND get destroyed by Louisville.

Ivey needs to get much tougher with her players. The difference in toughness between Walz and how he coached his players vs Ivey was huge. They out hustled ND all game long.

Ivey also has to get on the refs. ND got a ton of lousy calls, which Ivey should have been all over the refs.

Miles is already the most important player. If she develops a reliable outside shot she’s going to be a superstar.

Brunelle can’t defend post players. She needs to lose 20 lbs and be a perimeter player. That said, at least she can score consistently. With the proper S&C and development she could be much better in the next two years.

Not impressed at all by People’s. She can’t shoot. She’s a garbage points player. Trouble is, she can’t shoot free throws.

Westbeld will get better, but she’s not ready to play with premier post players. She needs to get stronger and quicker. She’s only a fresh. So, it’s up to Ivey to bring out her talent.

Walker is a good athlete with poor basketball skills. She’s not going anywhere professionally.

Gilbert is simply not athletic enough. She’s a 2nd tier player.

Mabrey is too streaky to be a full time starter if ND is going to be elite

Citron better have Miles type potential if ND wants to sniff the Elite 8

Overall, McGraw had a lot of recruiting misses during a period when ND should have really loaded up on talent. Ivey has got to get some superstars and coach her players harder. If she doesn’t, it could be a long time before ND is relevant again.

I actually like Peoples. She does get a lot of garbage baskets, but you need that. She's a good rebounder.

I though Gilbert was pretty good last year. She has been hurt this year, so I think that has impacted her - obviously she was out for several months.

The thing that strikes me is how bare McGraw left the cupboard. She had a roster full of elite talent, all who are in the WNBA with Arike Scoring Champion , and there’s nobody in the senior or junior classes who are going to be drafted. I could speculate, as ND has a habit of pulling the plug on successful coaches recruiting (see Lou Holtz/Frank Leahy/Digger Phelps) , but it’s also possible Muffet staked everything on her last two teams and did not spend enough time recruiting. Secondly, the first person to be fired is the S&C coach. Look at the difference in Kelly’s teams conditioning after he fired Longo and hired Ballis. Night and day.