MBB Non-Conference

It was announced yesterday that ND will play Ohio State on December 8th in the ACC/Big 10 Challenge.

ND announced today that they added a non-conference game against Michigan State on November 28th (at MSU).

Losing Mooney is huge, but I'm excited about the team this year. Excited to see the junior class continue to progress, and hopefully Durham excels in a full-time role as ND's next great big man.

If Santa Clara transfer Trey Wertz was playing, I think ND would be a dangerous team in the ACC.

• Replies 36
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It was announced yesterday that ND will play Ohio State on December 8th in the ACC/Big 10 Challenge.

ND announced today that they added a non-conference game against Michigan State on November 28th (at MSU).

Losing Mooney is huge, but I'm excited about the team this year. Excited to see the junior class continue to progress, and hopefully Durham excels in a full-time role as ND's next great big man.

If Santa Clara transfer Trey Wertz was playing, I think ND would be a dangerous team in the ACC.

Mooney was a good player, but I don't think he is going to be a huge loss. Durham and Nate look like they have added on some good weight. I look for them to more than make up for the Mooney loss this year. I look for this team to be a lot better than they have been the last couple of years. Losing the freshman Taylor for the year hurts the low post depth.

The non conference schedule is absolutely brutal, but will hopefully be fun to watch. Ohio st., Michigan st., Purdue, Howard, Western Mich., Tennessee, and Kentucky. Add on to that home and home with Duke and Virginia. Wow!

I don't know for sure, but I think there is a movement still ongoing to make all transfers eligible this year because of Covid. If that is the case then a backcourt of Trey, Dane, Prentis, and Cormack would be fantastic.

Trey will be the only one in the country not eligible...

I’ve read that he didn’t even want to apply for a waiver and wants to redshirt. If the NCAA grants basketball players a free year like they did for football, I’d see no reason why he’d still sit. But that has to happen for him to get on the court this season.

Here's what the beginning of ND's basketball schedule looks like. It will be entertaining and exciting, but probably very rough considering the number of high profile teams ND has to play right out of the gate. For those scoring at home, ND plays 6 ranked teams in their first 9 games...

Nov. 28: #13 Michigan State

Dec. 2: Western Michigan

Dec. 4: #12 Tennessee

Dec. 8: #23 Ohio State

Dec. 12: #10 Kentucky

Dec. 16: #9 Duke

Dec. 19: Purdue

Dec. 22: Syracuse

Dec. 29: #4 Virginia

• 3 weeks later...

We looked OK for the first 10 minutes or so, then MSU went on like a 29-0 run. That was some really bad bball to watch.

I got distracted and missed most of the 2nd half, but we played a little better towards the end and only lost by 10 after being down closer to 30 for a good part of the middle of the game.

We need some more strength on D and just better flow on offense. There are some good pieces here, but I think our lack of true big man depth is going to hurt. I would say Durham did not look good in the parts of the game I saw. He was forcing offense and could not hit around the rim.

We looked OK for the first 10 minutes or so, then MSU went on like a 29-0 run. That was some really bad bball to watch.

I got distracted and missed most of the 2nd half, but we played a little better towards the end and only lost by 10 after being down closer to 30 for a good part of the middle of the game.

We need some more strength on D and just better flow on offense. There are some good pieces here, but I think our lack of true big man depth is going to hurt. I would say Durham did not look good in the parts of the game I saw. He was forcing offense and could not hit around the rim.

I didn’t see the whole game either so I am going to bite my tongue (or fingers) but anyone that doesn’t think we are going to miss Mooney needs to watch a game this year.

It was rough to watch for sure. Durham was awful! Hopefully he picks it up. The ball movement and spacing on offense were awful! Often they had no plan on offense. I think these two things will get better as the year progresses.

I saw some glimmers of hope with the 3 point shooting. This has not been good for the last two years. Brey teams have to be able to hit lights out from the perimeter. I think it will be better this year especially if they get the spacing and the movement on offense right.

The place that will hurt them the most is on D. They are way too slow and not athletic enough on perimeter D. This will most likely plague them all year. Next year the additions of Wertz and Wesley will help tremendously.

Same old same old for Brey. He doesn’t recruit enough players, which results in short benches. I realize 2 are hurt and one is getting screwed over. OSU completely dominated inside when Durham went out! I’m not feeling the Brey tenure anymore, time to go.

I’ve wanted Brey gone after seeing Murphy & Humphrey wasted and getting worse under him. He’s not a good coach and never has been... Always uses the Ty Willingham and Bob Davie excuses for his failures... He sucks.

I think Brey is a good coach, but his failure to recruit has put us into this boat currently.

We have no viable big men, although I thought Zona did a nice job coming off the bench.

Our kids need to eat a sandwich and get in the weight room.

It was men vs boys again.

That being said, we were winning most of this game and were in it right to the end. Just need a closer.

A must win and a lucky win. I'm not a Brey hater, but two games in a row he got completely out coached. ken. and o$u made very good halftime adjustments and coaching decisions. Brey did not and got lucky as hell with this win. Djogo should never see another min. in an ND uniform, yet he continues to get decent minutes. No Sanders or Zona in the second half. Terrible decision.

A must win and a lucky win. I'm not a Brey hater, but two games in a row he got completely out coached. ken. and o$u made very good halftime adjustments and coaching decisions. Brey did not and got lucky as hell with this win. Djogo should never see another min. in an ND uniform, yet he continues to get decent minutes. No Sanders or Zona in the second half. Terrible decision.

After the first half, I thought to myself that it was the best half of ND basketball that I've watched in probably 3-4 seasons - and I watch most of the games. To follow that up with a sloppy, completely inept performance in the second half was beyond infuriating. I'm glad they won, but this is not a game to hang your hat on. This Kentucky team is not good. They have some players, but this is not a typical Kentucky team.

I thought after last season that Brey's time at ND is up. I really love him - he is a great personality and has really done a terrific job for 20 plus years with some great moments (two Elite Eights and an ACC Championship) - but his teams have been bad for 2+ seasons and not truly competitive in the ACC. ND is not UNC or Duke or UVA, but it's not a lot to ask for them to be a consistent Top 25 team and at least be competitive with the bluebloods in the ACC. The 2018 class - Laz, Hubb, Goodwin, Carmody - was supposed to be Brey's best class. They have been so inconsistent for 2 years and through three games this season. Laz played the best half of his life in the first half, then completely disappeared. Hubb takes some really, really bad shots and is always good for a few unforced turnovers or terrible decisions handling the basketball. For Brey to only have 3 bench players today, including 2 true freshman, is unacceptable - injuries or not. His roster management has always been bad - I don't know why he insists on not using all available scholarships.

I love Brey and hope ND can build some momentum from this win and compete in the ACC. It's certainly a weird year, so ND should be able to compete with most teams, especially with Duke and UNC having down years. But the last 2+ seasons have been uninspiring, and I think the program could use a fresh voice and a new direction.