The Virus

Man that seems shady to me, I get it and understand the reasoning but I think this stimulus package has money available for businesses to make pay roll. Obviously I have no idea what company you work for so they may not be eligible, just a general remark by me.

A 10% pay cut seems like a decent deal.

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I’m a small business owner. Owned it for 25 years.

I now have to make decisions about laying off people or furloughing people who have worked here for years.

The Small Business Administration is not prepared for what became law last Friday.

The CARES Act has something called the Paycheck Protection Program. Small businesses can apply to this for low interest loans. The money has to be used for payroll, rent, and utilities. The loan amount is pretty small, only covering 2.5 months of these expenses.

I applied for one of those loans today. Sadly I have been explaining the program to my banker over the last week. She hasn’t known almost anything about it, and her big bank hasn’t provided her with information because the Small Business Administration, which is running the program, hasn’t provided guidance to the banks.

I had every stitch of paperwork done last night, ready to file today, the first day you can apply. The federal government, last night, changed the application form. Had to do it all over.

I bring this all up because losing 10% of pay, in this environment, is better than the 700,000 people who lost their jobs in March (per figures just released today), and better than the millions more who will be on next month’s jobs lost report. I am in no way saying losing 10% is a good thing. But as I sit here struggling to keep all of my employees paid anything at all, and as I deal with the (somewhat understandable) lack of coherence in the federal response, I thought a different perspective might add something to the conversation.

I agree 110%

I now have to make decisions about laying off people or furloughing people who have worked here for years.

The Small Business Administration is not prepared for what became law last Friday.

The CARES Act has something called the Paycheck Protection Program. Small businesses can apply to this for low interest loans. The money has to be used for payroll, rent, and utilities. The loan amount is pretty small, only covering 2.5 months of these expenses.

I applied for one of those loans today. Sadly I have been explaining the program to my banker over the last week. She hasn’t known almost anything about it, and her big bank hasn’t provided her with information because the Small Business Administration, which is running the program, hasn’t provided guidance to the banks.

I had every stitch of paperwork done last night, ready to file today, the first day you can apply. The federal government, last night, changed the application form. Had to do it all over.

I bring this all up because losing 10% of pay, in this environment, is better than the 700,000 people who lost their jobs in March (per figures just released today), and better than the millions more who will be on next month’s jobs lost report. I am in no way saying losing 10% is a good thing. But as I sit here struggling to keep all of my employees paid anything at all, and as I deal with the (somewhat understandable) lack of coherence in the federal response, I thought a different perspective might add something to the conversation.

Sorry to hear this. The economic impact has been something I've feared from this since the beginning, and I have been following intensely since I've been hurt and off work since NYE. Hope the filing works out and can provide a little bit of aid to you.

I’m glad you brought this up. If I read this correctly, doesn’t say somewhere on there that if you keep your employees paid, that this loan can be forgiven? Just for small businesses? I’m in the same boat with our doctors. They are now slashing hours to basically nothing but knowing how rich they are, I can see them using this loan still..

I’m glad you brought this up. If I read this correctly, doesn’t say somewhere on there that if you keep your employees paid, that this loan can be forgiven? Just for small businesses? I’m in the same boat with our doctors. They are now slashing hours to basically nothing but knowing how rich they are, I can see them using this loan still..

Correct. Working through the loan process myself. :pan forgiven is certain paremeters are met.

• 3 months later...
Anyone that eats dogs probably deserves to die a horrible, painful death.

Pig is smarter than dog. You eat that bacon?

Just taking you to school, mean no harm. You wish death on folks yet you do the same. Stop judging people for your own crimes. The soy deal and all that, you know.

Edited by Jim2Dokes

Pig is smarter than dog. You eat that bacon?

Just taking you to school, mean no harm. You wish death on folks yet you do the same. Stop judging people for your own crimes. The soy deal and all that, you know.

Dogs are man’s best friend. I can’t lie, I’m not rational when it comes to dogs, bc I legitimately like them better than people.

• 2 months later...

A few interesting but not widely known statistics about COVID deaths, numbers from the CDC website today (https://www.cdc.gov/nchs/nvss/vsrr/covid_weekly/index.htm#AgeAndSex):

All US deaths involving COVID-19: 194,091

Of those deaths, numbers of people over age 75: 111,166.

Over age 65: 153,032.

Ages 5-14: 32

Ages 15-24: 362

Adding a little perspective:

Median age of death from COVID-19: 78.

Average male life expectancy in the US: 76.1; female: 81.1; Average life expectancy at birth (men + women) in the US: 78.5.

Some more numbers.

Since Colleges have started testing, it appears we have had over 70,000 positive tests, with 3 hospitalizations and zero death

If you read the linked "article", you will note that two deaths, one involving a football player from Pennsylvania (not actively participating), that might be related to Covid are still pending official statements regarding actual cause of death.

https://twitter.com/andrewbostom/status/1313162488955973634/photo/2