ND basketball news

• 5 weeks later...
  • Replies 28
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I knew this was going to be a transition/rebuilding year as most of us did.

The shooting has been horrible especially from 3. The freshmen look very promising though. I expect they will develop into the shooters they are supposed to be as the game slows down for them some. I'm very glad to see Brey play them and get meaningful experience for next year. I hope this continues through ACC play. Carmody is a little selfish right now in his offensive play. Hopefully he grows out of that.

Gibbs has been downright awful, and maybe unrealistically so I was hoping Durham was going to come in and start for them and be a great low post presence. Very disappointed so far with him. Harvey - the jury is still out. I think his lack of consistent outside shooting is really going to hold him back. Hopefully with some more time to recover from his injury, he will start to really turn it on.

We were cruising in the first half. Mooney was on fire.

Seemed like there was a lot of crazy one on one stuff happening in the second half. Wild drives to the basket, etc.

I thought our defense had some major lapses at times, too, that killed us. If a guy starts nailing 30 footers on you, get in his face dammit.

Radford was a tourney team and is projected to be again this year (I believe they were saying), so its not like we lost to a bad team, just we should be beating these lower tier teams if we want to be a good team.

this team will definitely experience their ups and downs this season. Young roster with a lot of different types of players. Should be the case of the team is much better at the end of the year than they are now. Looking forward to watch this team grow.

Could be a very good roster in 1-2 years with how talented the freshman + Harvey are.

Burns leaving program and transferring after graduating at semester break.

Interesting. He obviously was a role player, but I thought he was a captain this year - could be wrong.

We really don't have a lot of bigs, so this sort of hurts, but I guess it will throw the young guys in there more.

Burns leaving program and transferring after graduating at semester break.

Interesting. He obviously was a role player, but I thought he was a captain this year - could be wrong.

We really don't have a lot of bigs, so this sort of hurts, but I guess it will throw the young guys in there more.

Good for him. Go somewhere and play your senior season. This doesn't hurt ND at all. He was ok, but I'm sure he saw the writing on the wall. Brey is going to play this year for next year. Burns was just going to sit during ACC play.

If ND does something this year, super! but I think Brey wants to get all of the pieces that are going to be major players next year, tons of experience this year. Next year could be special.

Edited by Domers23

I would not be surprised if Djogo is next.

I'd be fairly shocked if Djogo did this season. Probably after the year. With that said, this is why I am fairly surprised ND didn't push more for 1-2 player in this class. Maybe that changes now. Right now, only at 11 scholarship players. Late signees and transfers are definitely in play.

Anybody watch tonight? Durham is a beast.

We almost choked and blew a double digit lead.

Illini missed a buzzer beater that went in and came out.

Team seems to lack good offensive flow right now. Lots of one on one action.

Lots of promise though.

ND barely escapes 2-4 Illinois, winning 76-74 after a last second three by the Illini goes in and out.

ND should have won this game going away, up 68-58 with 4 minutes left. But turnovers and going 24-36 from FT (61.5%) almost did them in.

Obviously a super young team, so a win is a win. But this season is going to be up and down and incredibly frustrating once ACC play starts.

ND barely escapes 2-4 Illinois, winning 76-74 after a last second three by the Illini goes in and out.

ND should have won this game going away, up 68-58 with 4 minutes left. But turnovers and going 24-36 from FT (61.5%) almost did them in.

Obviously a super young team, so a win is a win. But this season is going to be up and down and incredibly frustrating once ACC play starts.

The fact that people out there like Rex is laughable. Hate, to say it but won’t miss him next year. This, team could be really good next year, if we get a couple good freshman.

The fact that people out there like Rex is laughable. Hate, to say it but won’t miss him next year. This, team could be really good next year, if we get a couple good freshman.

I’m not a huge lover of Rex but I think he has been great for this team. He is showing the freshmen how nds offense runs. U need spacing and unselfish passing. Which he brings. He also brings an intensity that is good for the younger kids to see.

Don’t be surprised if Nd doesn’t get a freshman this year. Cole Anthony might fall into their lap, but I think that is a long shot. Brey sees a lot of “Nd” guys in next years class so I think he is content not signing anyone this year. They may get a transfer this year who knows.

Anybody watch tonight? Durham is a beast.

We almost choked and blew a double digit lead.

Illini missed a buzzer beater that went in and came out.

Team seems to lack good offensive flow right now. Lots of one on one action.

Lots of promise though.

Finally, in the second half of last night’s game Durham looked like what I was hoping he would be this year. Now he needs to build on last night and consistently play like that. A shot blocking force in the middle that is not a total dud on offense will make this a deadly team as they all mature and play more together, not only this year but the next couple.

Finally, in the second half of last night’s game Durham looked like what I was hoping he would be this year. Now he needs to build on last night and consistently play like that. A shot blocking force in the middle that is not a total dud on offense will make this a deadly team as they all mature and play more together, not only this year but the next couple.

Agree with all of this, especially for this season. If ND wants any chance at surviving the ACC this year, Durham is gonna have to play at or around this level on a consistent basis. That could mean just getting more minutes as well. Looks like Brey is gaining confidence in him with every game. I expect he’ll be a key part of the rotation moving forward.

I would also add, I’d like to see a rotation on floor more often that includes 2 of Durham, Las, Mooney. Las and Mooney can still make the 4 around 1 concept work with their shooting ability. Just adds extra length for the most part.

Edited by LasVegasIrish

Oklahoma beat ND tonight at Madison Square Garden 85-80.

Notre Dame once again struggled on offense. Not only can they not shoot, but they really have problems creating offense. There is no movement off the ball and they end up taking really bad shots. The final shooting numbers are bad: 41.9% (31-74) FG, 28.0% (7-25) 3PT, and 57.9% (11-19) FT.

TJ Gibbs had a really off day. He shot ok from 3PT - 4-7, but he struggled from the floor, going 6-16 FG. He takes too many shots when he is out of control. He also forces up bad shots constantly. ND had a chance to tie the game with less than a minute left, and he drove to the basket completely out of control and forced up a brick. I was expecting an All-ACC type season, but he has been nowhere close to that so far.

Prentiss Hubb really struggled shooting the ball: 2-9 FG, 0-4 3PT, and 0-2 FT.

Pflueger still has no offensive game. He was 1-6 FG and 0-3 3PT. He also bricked two FTs at the end of the game that could have gotten ND within one point.

Harvey really struggled from 3PT - he finished 0-4.

I thought Mooney and Durham played well. Mooney finished with 15 points and 14 rebounds. Yes, 14 rebounds. I was really impressed with him. He needs to shoot more from 3PT (he only took two shots). Durham continues to be really effective on the defensive side, and his offensive game is coming along. He finished with 15 points (7-8 FG) but only 3 rebounds. He did have 3 blocked shots, including 2 on one possession. He really needs more playing time.

The freshman are going to have ups and downs obviously, but I thought they all (minus Hubb) played fairly well. I think Laszewski could develop into a reliable 3PT shooter later this season. Goodwin had a solid game as well.

It's just going to be a long season for the Irish. But they will be better for it in a year or two with all of these freshman getting a lot of playing time.