Man: Good or Evil

• Replies 31
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Keeping somewhat with this topic, let me further some of my thoughts on this inspired by a email our school district sent out today. Now I am NOT going to start an argument about firearms, so likewise try to stay on the rail as I unpack this and how it relates to my original question.

This email in general discussed measures that the school district has been taking with lock down measures etc in conjunction with the PD, to train staff and be prepared so on and so forth. What really stuck in my craw though was the line suggesting that it's because of the times we live in, without saying outright gun violence. Again trying to stay on track here and not rehash the gun debate. It went on to mention the numerous other types of training or drills they conduct i.e. fire and tornado/weather.

So a few thoughts really got to me, and I've spoken about them many times to people. The times we live in....has there been a time when humans aren't committing horrible atrocities against one another, including children in schools or even at home? We will safeguard our banks and money but let blind ignorance lead us to believe that our children our safe congragated in one place, unprotected.

We completely ignored the possibility of bad things done at school by people going back a long ways. They train, have special alerts for, special equipment and locations for, and special safety weeks for weather and fire safety. They used to have nuclear bomb drills once upon a time for those old enough to remember.

Yeah but Jessie those are natural disasters, fire, and wartime preparations. Which these drills have someone go to a nuclear shelter, outside in an orderly fashion, or get under a table. With a shooter I would imagine other than using their desk to smash some windows and jump outside there are really no frills that can help. Any sort of ordered fashion will be known and exploited by the shooter I imagine.

Keeping somewhat with this topic, let me further some of my thoughts on this inspired by a email our school district sent out today. Now I am NOT going to start an argument about firearms, so likewise try to stay on the rail as I unpack this and how it relates to my original question.

This email in general discussed measures that the school district has been taking with lock down measures etc in conjunction with the PD, to train staff and be prepared so on and so forth. What really stuck in my craw though was the line suggesting that it's because of the times we live in, without saying outright gun violence. Again trying to stay on track here and not rehash the gun debate. It went on to mention the numerous other types of training or drills they conduct i.e. fire and tornado/weather.

So a few thoughts really got to me, and I've spoken about them many times to people. The times we live in....has there been a time when humans aren't committing horrible atrocities against one another, including children in schools or even at home? We will safeguard our banks and money but let blind ignorance lead us to believe that our children our safe congragated in one place, unprotected.

We completely ignored the possibility of bad things done at school by people going back a long ways. They train, have special alerts for, special equipment and locations for, and special safety weeks for weather and fire safety. They used to have nuclear bomb drills once upon a time for those old enough to remember.

Jesse, I get the impression you are a man of faith. You have a job where breaking one of the 10 commandments (Kill) is something you may have to do at some point. Is that something you wrestle with or you understand it comes with the gig?

Jesse, I get the impression you are a man of faith. You have a job where breaking one of the 10 commandments (Kill) is something you may have to do at some point. Is that something you wrestle with or you understand it comes with the gig?

I pray each and every day that I never have to take a life, no matter the means. But if the situation arises that I have to defend myself or another, I am able to do so without hesitation that will cause increased danger and loss of life.

I've had situations where I could've shot someone and it would have been totally justified. I'll try and elaborate a bit more about this one story later, because it was a tough deal to wrap my mind around, and perhaps you'll understand when I give the entirety of two nights a few years ago.

Sorry almost done with chemo for my wife and don't want to interrupt that story when I type it.....

I pray each and every day that I never have to take a life, no matter the means. But if the situation arises that I have to defend myself or another, I am able to do so without hesitation that will cause increased danger and loss of life.

I've had situations where I could've shot someone and it would have been totally justified. I'll try and elaborate a bit more about this one story later, because it was a tough deal to wrap my mind around, and perhaps you'll understand when I give the entirety of two nights a few years ago.

Sorry almost done with chemo for my wife and don't want to interrupt that story when I type it.....

Thoughts and prayers are with you and your wife.

• 2 weeks later...

Assuming it is a justifiable action to stop an unjust aggressor, he wouldn't be breaking the 5th commandment, according to Catholic teaching (I can't speak to other faiths).

This is one of those gray areas you mention that often get overlooked.

From the Catechism of the Catholic Church, just for informational purposes:

Legitimate defense

2263 The legitimate defense of persons and societies is not an exception to the prohibition against the murder of the innocent that constitutes intentional killing. "The act of self-defense can have a double effect: the preservation of one's own life; and the killing of the aggressor. . . . The one is intended, the other is not."65

2264 Love toward oneself remains a fundamental principle of morality. Therefore it is legitimate to insist on respect for one's own right to life. Someone who defends his life is not guilty of murder even if he is forced to deal his aggressor a lethal blow:

If a man in self-defense uses more than necessary violence, it will be unlawful: whereas if he repels force with moderation, his defense will be lawful. . . . Nor is it necessary for salvation that a man omit the act of moderate self-defense to avoid killing the other man, since one is bound to take more care of one's own life than of another's.66

2265 Legitimate defense can be not only a right but a grave duty for one who is responsible for the lives of others. The defense of the common good requires that an unjust aggressor be rendered unable to cause harm. For this reason, those who legitimately hold authority also have the right to use arms to repel aggressors against the civil community entrusted to their responsibility.

2266 The efforts of the state to curb the spread of behavior harmful to people's rights and to the basic rules of civil society correspond to the requirement of safeguarding the common good. Legitimate public authority has the right and duty to inflict punishment proportionate to the gravity of the offense. Punishment has the primary aim of redressing the disorder introduced by the offense. When it is willingly accepted by the guilty party, it assumes the value of expiation. Punishment then, in addition to defending public order and protecting people's safety, has a medicinal purpose: as far as possible, it must contribute to the correction of the guilty party.67

2267 Assuming that the guilty party's identity and responsibility have been fully determined, the traditional teaching of the Church does not exclude recourse to the death penalty, if this is the only possible way of effectively defending human lives against the unjust aggressor.

If, however, non-lethal means are sufficient to defend and protect people's safety from the aggressor, authority will limit itself to such means, as these are more in keeping with the concrete conditions of the common good and more in conformity to the dignity of the human person.

Today, in fact, as a consequence of the possibilities which the state has for effectively preventing crime, by rendering one who has committed an offense incapable of doing harm - without definitely taking away from him the possibility of redeeming himself - the cases in which the execution of the offender is an absolute necessity "are very rare, if not practically nonexistent

I really want to believe that we are born good.

I think when we are born we come into a very loving situation. Joy, happiness, and hope surround that child...at least at that moment.

Most babies stay in an environment like that for a long time...there might be struggles along the way but love usually stays.

However, some are born into situations where there is anger, hate, mistrust, and abuse which shapes a young mind...morphing them into evil.

Good people make mistakes but that doesn’t make them evil. An evil person is cultivated and allowed to fester...and it’s sad and tragic.

Just my two cents.

If anyone is interested check out the first episode of Jordan Peterson's Biblical Series, the first is called Introduction to the Theory of God or something like that. It the most viewed on YouTube in this lecture series with 2 million views I believe.

For those devote atheists out there or non Christians, the way he speaks about these concepts in this lecture particularly, has more to do with how ideas formed across time. He goes through how early man struggled with the meaning of life and went about formulating ideas and beliefs to live in the world around them and we still carry today. I find it really fascinating and deep to think about. There have been many NC and atheists who've remarked about how well the lecture is done. Anyway don't take my word, check it/him out.