ND is Not That Close

By that I mean ND is not that close AT ALL to winning a national championship. Watching these teams today we would get beat by at least two touchdowns in the playoffs. ND was lucky to play Georgia in Week 2. They would make the Irish look silly if they played them now. So would Ohio State, Clemson, and Oklahoma. ND isn’t even close to an elite team right now.

• Replies 35
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm a badgers fan as well, living in Wisconsin. The one team I didn't want them to play was OSU because of how fast and talented they are. I knew it was a bad matchup because of their speed . It's so far playing out that way.

I think ND on offense has some real speed especially if Dex is in the backfield. Our defense, especially DBs are slow, and get burned to easily. They can't look back sometimes, because they are always trying to catch up.

This is just from a talent stand point, our mentality is something else all together. That's on coaching .

By that I mean ND is not that close AT ALL to winning a national championship. Watching these teams today we would get beat by at least two touchdowns in the playoffs. ND was lucky to play Georgia in Week 2. They would make the Irish look silly if they played them now. So would Ohio State, Clemson, and Oklahoma. ND isn’t even close to an elite team right now.

As bad or worse than the Miami game, Stanford owned us top to bottom. From the offense line play to the quarterback's embarrassing performance and an anemic running attack, we have regressed to a point that doesn't remotely resemble the promise of the first eight games. Now with our first decommit , the downward cycle continues. I won't be watching ND football from start to finish anymore until Kelly is gone.

Yep.

Miami vs. ND 41-8…

Clemson vs. Miami 38-3…

Thus, by associativity, Clemson vs ND would be 79-11.

I’ll take us in the Camping Bowl (or whatever) over that type CFP shellacking (again), thank you.

Can you please show your work for USC vis a vis the Stanford game head-to-head?

I hate the associative property. Just leave it in the bag.

I actually came here to post the opposite.

We had FSU on the ropes at their place the year they won it all.

We had Clemson on the ropes, at their place, and they won it all.

I bet Georgia wins it this year and we had them on the ropes, too.

We can play with these teams. We just lose it mentally after losing a big game.

I think college football is one of the most unpredictable sports week to week. A team can look unbeatable one week and get thrashed by a rival in a down year the next. Associations based on who beat who in the past hold little weight. I still think an ND team clicking like they were in weeks 3-7 could hang with anyone in the country

Watching the games yesterday, I actually thought (outside of QB play) we could play with any of those teams, if we were playing at mid October levels.

Yeah same here, I've never seen a team take such a nose dive like we did. Going from a team who looked like they were a lock for the playoff to a team who doesn't even look like they should be in the top 25.

Was it a bunch of guys playing through injuries? Kelly doing something to mess with the offense? We can only speculate but something had to have been going on.

We can play with these teams. We just lose it mentally after losing a big game.

Good point.

We could probably hang with all of those teams early on. Late in the season we are just too predictable and many teams have said as much.

So? That year we lost to Az St by 24, Northwestern and Lousiville at home and USC by 35. One game doesn't make us "close" when you are so awful in other games.

In what was probably Kelly's best team, after squeaking by a bunch of nobodies, we lost to Stanford and Ohio State in a bowl game that was never close.

We got blown out by Miami, squeaked by Navy and got beat again by Stanford.

I don't care what excuse is made, if we were close we'd make the playoffs, or at least a solid January Bowl and be competitive. That hasn't happened once in Kelly's era and like too many years, we're back in a 3rd tier bowl this year, with some of our fanbases still picking rainbows out of turd piles.

Close, you kidding me right.

I don't care what month it is Okla, Clem, Ohioist, Bama, Auburn, Georgia, Wash, Miss St, PennSt, Mich w/there QB would give us a beat down.

This team right now is not going to beat LSU, Coach O knows our QB can't hit the side of a barn, he is going to stack the box and make Wimbush beat them which he has shown against a Good defense he has failed.

And for those that say stack the box against them Danny Etling had a solid year. He just torched Texas A&M for 350 yards and 3 td's, threw for 2,300 yards 14td's and only 2 ints'.

We pass the test against the teams were supposed to be, thank God we are finally back to that level, but we have a long way to go before we can compete with top 8 teams. I know this sounds crazy but in a way am happy were not playing in the playoff, just would have been another beat down on national TV and showing once again that we don't belong and took a teams that did's place because of who we are.

Close, you kidding me right.

I don't care what month it is Okla, Clem, Ohioist, Bama, Auburn, Georgia, Wash, Miss St, PennSt, Mich w/there QB would give us a beat down.

This team right now is not going to beat LSU, Coach O knows our QB can't hit the side of a barn, he is going to stack the box and make Wimbush beat them which he has shown against a Good defense he has failed.

And for those that say stack the box against them Danny Etling had a solid year. He just torched Texas A&M for 350 yards and 3 td's, threw for 2,300 yards 14td's and only 2 ints'.

We pass the test against the teams were supposed to be, thank God we are finally back to that level, but we have a long way to go before we can compete with top 8 teams. I know this sounds crazy but in a way am happy were not playing in the playoff, just would have been another beat down on national TV and showing once again that we don't belong and took a teams that did's place because of who we are.

Georgia beating us by 1 point gave us a real beat down...We'd beat miss st and Michigan for sure. Have you watched them this year at all? Penn State and Washington would be toss ups. USC is a top 8 team and we crushed them. Where do you come up with this stuff?? Lsu is a solid team and will be a close battle. They also lost to troy. It's gonna be a4th quarter game and be decide by who has less turnovers. A win and it's a 10 and 3 season and wins over 4 top 25 teams. 2nd hardest schedule in the nation. Not too bad.

Georgia beating us by 1 point gave us a real beat down...We'd beat miss st and Michigan for sure. Have you watched them this year at all? Penn State and Washington would be toss ups. USC is a top 8 team and we crushed them. Where do you come up with this stuff?? Lsu is a solid team and will be a close battle. They also lost to troy. It's gonna be a4th quarter game and be decide by who has less turnovers. A win and it's a 10 and 3 season and wins over 4 top 25 teams. 2nd hardest schedule in the nation. Not too bad.

Dude, we lost by 1 to a Georgia team playing there 2nd game with a Freshmen QB making his 1st start, we play them today we lose by 14 to 21 points.

Like we always do in the BK era the only time we Beat USC is when there banged up on O-line or at QB. We play USC we lose.

Penn St and Wash, would you put you nutts on the table against them, i wouldn't, not this ND team.

Yes LSU did lose to Troy but there playing better ball in the 2nd half of the season.

Let me ask you something, did you watch this team this season, this is a team trending down, not up.

Georgia beating us by 1 point gave us a real beat down...

I don't think it would be a close game at all if these teams played now. That was Fromm's first start ever. I view losing at home by a point to a true freshman with one week's worth of practice on the first team offense as a missed opportunity more than anything else.

I think it's clear as day that we aren't beating any team with a competent defense as long as Wimbush is the quarterback. Teams have gotten to the playoffs with freshman qbs a few times now.

Wimbush is not the answer, maybe it's Jurkovec or Davis. Either way BK needs to open up the competition.