Adopt a democrat

This is one issue I always found funny. And no, I'm not knocking conservatives. It was TheRizz's #1 statement-the right to life for all. Save the fetus but bring out the electric chair. It's like you're playing God.

Anyways, I've had many discussions from both sides but this one always perplexed me. But carry on fellas. Good post Davis.

I wrestle back forth with the death penalty myself. I understand all the arguments just fine. I'm not that strongly in favor of it at alleast if I know the offender will not be allowed in public ever. I've said that if pro choice wants to continue killing humans their way, why can't the other side have their bloodbath as well? Fair is fair, and at least the criminals get to stand trial and have decades of appeals to halt their death sentence. Plus they got to live life and screw it up before they are snuffed out.

Not trying to start an argument but pointing out the hypocrisy on both sides.

• Replies 42
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Clinton is an awful politician and apparently an awful person in general. Trump... I don't even know where to begin. After last night I have come to the realization that he does not give a rip about winning the election and for him this was all just publicity for his next business endeavors.

The real failing here is in the GOP party, which is falling apart, putting Trump out there when he clearly has no interest in being president. The way things are going we will see a Kardashian in office in the next 20 years.

Yes the GOP has done a poor job at a lot of things in the past decade or so. Since I won't commit to being a member, I have to let the primary process do its job in selecting the nomination. I'm tired of the radicalization of both parties and the fringes calling the shots. The regressive left is now the Christian Right and so forth.

One of the biggest issues that the GOP failed to stress on the masses is the potential reversal of SCOTUS with this election. That's huge, and to most of the populace it's an afterthought.

I wrestle back forth with the death penalty myself. I understand all the arguments just fine. I'm not that strongly in favor of it at alleast if I know the offender will not be allowed in public ever. I've said that if pro choice wants to continue killing humans their way, why can't the other side have their bloodbath as well? Fair is fair, and at least the criminals get to stand trial and have decades of appeals to halt their death sentence. Plus they got to live life and screw it up before they are snuffed out.

Not trying to start an argument but pointing out the hypocrisy on both sides.

The problem is the black and white thinking. As a fairly liberal individual, I still think there is a place for the death penalties. However, the goal of prison is rehabilitation, if someone is unable to be rehabbed then okay. However, that is very rare with the right treatment and resources. Problem is with the right is the black and white. Abortion bad, death penalty good. This is without the gray. I agree with a lot of therizz commandments of being conservative. However, he approached it dichotomously. Not many left leaning folks want abortions, we just agree with science and other approaches to target less abortions. Guess what, it works. Banning abortion and crimilizing it has proven to not work. Criminalizing drug use has proven not to work. Not providing proper rehabilitation services has proven not to work. Great quote from a someone released from small prison sentence, "it cost $900,000 to keep my locked up, they gave me $250 when I walked out". With the rates of return, he was probably back due to no resources charging 9000000 to taxpayers. Fiscal conservatives what a joke. As I have said before, sure republicans promise tax breaks but somewhere down the line they take more of my money. It might not be short term, but when you think dichotomously it bites you big in the long term. It has been said; GOP=reactionary party, DEM=prevention. Either way the demos are changing, GOP has to get off the far right by 2020 to even stay as a party.

Edited by Jim2Dokes

The problem is the black and white thinking. As a fairly liberal individual, I still think there is a place for the death penalties. However, the goal of prison is rehabilitation, if someone is unable to be rehabbed then okay. However, that is very rare with the right treatment and resources. Problem is with the right is the black and white. Abortion bad, death penalty good. This is without the gray. I agree with a lot of therizz commandments of being conservative. However, he approached it dichotomously. Not many left leaning folks want abortions, we just agree with science and other approaches to target less abortions. Guess what, it works. Banning abortion and crimilizing it has proven to not work. Criminalizing drug use has proven not to work. Not providing proper rehabilitation services has proven not to work. Great quote from a someone released from small prison sentence, "it cost $900,000 to keep my locked up, they gave me $250 when I walked out". With the rates of return, he was probably back due to no resources charging 9000000 to taxpayers. Fiscal conservatives what a joke. As I have said before, sure republicans promise tax breaks but somewhere down the line they take more of my money. It might not be short term, but when you think dichotomously it bites you big in the long term. It has been said; GOP=reactionary party, DEM=prevention. Either way the demos are changing, GOP has to get off the far right by 2020 to even stay as a party.

I have no problem with black or white, on or off, it is or isn't. There is nothing wrong with certainty. Killing a human being outside the defense of yourself or another, is unacceptable in my mind when I ponder the subject. That's why I don't really argue for or against the DP or abortion. I have views on life that are absolutely grounded in black and white, scientific fact as well, but still are subjective to me.

I agree wholeheartedly about reforming inmates. But if even with reform like improving education, job training, behavior therapy etc, it's still no guarantee that once they are released life will be better for them. They will still have that stigma attached to them and have to overcome it individually. Again not arguing against reform because I agree with it.

I won't indulge the drugs or other vices argument.

Isn't prevention and reaction the same thing? Either something has or is about to happen and you're trying to prevent it, ie reacting to the problem.

In the end, as I mentioned above, everything still boils down to individual responsibility and accountability, black and white. Either you do or don't, the reason why is irrelevant, just the choice made and the ramifications that come with every decision. That's why I should not be compelled to cover someone else's bad choices in life (except my family)anymore than I am entitled the benefits of someone else's success with good choices. Just like my choices are mine to live with and deal with accordingly.

I found this as interesting a read as I found the comments unsettling:

http://www.aol.com/article/news/2016/10/20/letter-reveals-advice-george-hw-bush-gave-clinton-before-his-pre/21588256/

It gives a bit of perspective. I think I can say nearly across the board that the candidate we want to win is not going to win, regardless of who wins. But in the end that person is going to be our president and the best thing we can do is root for them and hope they do well. It is best for all of us when our president does well.

Thanks guys. I'll be pm'ing some of you occasionally. I think this thread is taking a wrong turn. I'm not interested in who's right or wrong. I just want an honest POV from the right. I don't get enough of that from my news sources.

Sorry for getting off track. I do commend you for looking further into this and talking to people! BTW if I was someone you were considering pm, for some reason I can't get or send them anymore. Been like that for years now, since SJ and Rick left the board, and I never asked the mods about it.

• 3 weeks later...
When things settle down for me and i have a little more free time, I'd like for one of my republican brothers to take me under their wing and teach me about being a republican. Im pretty sure (and hope) im not getting an accurate portrayal of what you believe.

I'd like someone more toward the center. Baby steps.

Someone who can explain their point of view without constantly bashing the left when doing it. A turn off.

Basically just send me a link to a good article once in a while and i can ask you questions.

I'm not looking to be converted but i feel a need to be exposed to both sides.

So if anyone is interested let me know.

Thanks.

So I'm guessing last night was like group therapy for you?

So I'm guessing last night was like group therapy for you?

I'm gonna need therapy. I'm actually just happy it's over but I'm getting the feeling it's never truly gonna end. Political talk keeps the lights on at those cable news networks.

Quick question. I heard some many republicans say they would not vote for trump. Did they lie or just change their mind once they got in the booth?

Also monday morning qb me why trump won and how democrats got so blindsided.

I'm gonna need therapy. I'm actually just happy it's over but I'm getting the feeling it's never truly gonna end. Political talk keeps the lights on at those cable news networks.

Quick question. I heard some many republicans say they would not vote for trump. Did they lie or just change their mind once they got in the booth?

That appears to be the leading factor, the so-called "hidden" Trump vote. I am not sure if that is people afraid to say they would vote for Trump or what, but it is a thing. I guess with his personal conduct being what it is a lot of people were unable to say that they think his platform outweighs his personality, but the votes say otherwise.

I think a lot of people turned out who haven't in past elections, independents turned out for him, and some Repubs simply help their nose and cast their vote.

Hill was a weak choice period. She never polled above 50% approval during the whole contest season. She's an established Washington elite and people are fed up with that in a big way.

His numbers were not huge though. I think it was more people wouldn't vote for Hillary in the end than Trump blowing up the polls, as shown by her winning the popular vote barely.

So this is a DNC issue for running a deeply dislikable candidate with more baggage than a 747. Trump was there for the taking but they ran with a dud and it blew up in their faces so they have nobody else to blame other than the never Hillary Bernie hangers on who I'm sure feel quite smug right now... the morons.

I'm going to give a real honest assessment of my family and friends who are democrats. They voted like that for years. But when Obama ran in 2008, they voted against him in both elections. I asked them why they didn't revert back to voting democrat and Hilary in this election, not because of the email scandal, but because they didn't want any policies that Obama put into place.

Frankly, they had racial undertones. This I know for fact from many conversations we have had.

I wouldn't be surprised if that's how many others have felt too. Just my honest opinion on the election.

I'll ask this question.

It's been pretty damn civil around for being right after an election. Would it be like this if hillary won?

I would've continued railing about Trump getting the nod and how beatable Hill was this cycle. In most people there was pretty low enthusiasm for this race, except for the hardcore for both sides. I don't recall many puffing their chest about their candidate, just more about how bad the other one was.

What's sad is people even pay attention to those AH's anymore. The skinheads, KKK, etc do more infighting and damage to themselves than anything. I've been screaming from the rooftops for years if you just ignore them and don't counter protest them, there will be no media interest for them and they will fade away. They count the frenzied people they draw out to oppose them and the media comes following along like a dog with its tongue hanging out. People make them sound like the damn boogie man but they are so weak and pathetic with extremely low membership. This isn't the Klan from a 100 years ago and will never rival anywhere close to those numbers again.

Sure there are racist AH's out there, but these jokers are literally the bottom of the barrel and aren't very organized like the past.