2016 MLB Thread

OKCIrish99

Take that right cross Joey Bats. Hilarious. You got plunked and punked!

Haha. Just watched it. Wow. What to say really. Rangers got their payback by hitting Bautista. Then Bautista, probably mad after getting hit, (but did nothing wrong) slid hard at their second baseman. Then, Odor retaliates for the hard baseball slide. Man, this is baseball at its finest. You could argue all sides from each baseball players perspective. I love it!

• Replies 102
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Haha. Just watched it. Wow. What to say really. Rangers got their payback by hitting Bautista. Then Bautista, probably mad after getting hit, (but did nothing wrong) slid hard at their second baseman. Then, Odor retaliates for the hard baseball slide. Man, this is baseball at its finest. You could argue all sides from each baseball players perspective. I love it!

Odor is a 20 year old up-and-comer with serious skills and attitude. That punch and video will be talked about for 25 years. I feel a meme coming on.

I'm torn on this one. Obviously I'm biased and will almost always take the Jays side, but even I get tired of Bautista time to time when he seems to think he's bigger than the game. However, for the Rangers to argue that "it got away from Bush"? Come on. Yes, it was a 1 run game. But it's May, this was the last time you were going to see Bautista unless they meet in the playoffs, and Bush had just thrown darts in back to back games and never missed that badly.

It was a hard slide, but Odor had to know it was coming. It was also right at the bag, low, and with his cleats down. It could have been a lot worse (but that was one HELL of a punch!!). I still don't get why Donaldson was singled out and ejected - he was definitely out there and in the middle of it, but less so than Pillar.

My hope is the longest suspension goes to Odor - he pushed first and threw the first punch. If Bautista gets suspended, then so too should Matt Bush. But this is baseball. No one should be getting 10 games for this. Make it long enough that we don't see it every night, but we all knew it was coming, it's over and, thankfully, there are no long lasting injuries.

As an aside, Bautista's post-game interview about the punch is hilarious.

I'm torn on this one. Obviously I'm biased and will almost always take the Jays side, but even I get tired of Bautista time to time when he seems to think he's bigger than the game. However, for the Rangers to argue that "it got away from Bush"? Come on. Yes, it was a 1 run game. But it's May, this was the last time you were going to see Bautista unless they meet in the playoffs, and Bush had just thrown darts in back to back games and never missed that badly.

It was a hard slide, but Odor had to know it was coming. It was also right at the bag, low, and with his cleats down. It could have been a lot worse (but that was one HELL of a punch!!). I still don't get why Donaldson was singled out and ejected - he was definitely out there and in the middle of it, but less so than Pillar.

My hope is the longest suspension goes to Odor - he pushed first and threw the first punch. If Bautista gets suspended, then so too should Matt Bush. But this is baseball. No one should be getting 10 games for this. Make it long enough that we don't see it every night, but we all knew it was coming, it's over and, thankfully, there are no long lasting injuries.

As an aside, Bautista's post-game interview about the punch is hilarious.

I just can't see Bush getting suspended. It was his 2nd big league game to pitch in, 3rd big league game overall. Yes, the pitch probably was intentional, but pretty hard to prove it.

When even the umps say the slide was illegal, it had to be pretty bad. So, yes, Bautista should and will almost certainly receive a suspension or fine. Odor? No doubt he will be suspended, I'm guessing for probably 6-10 games; he'll be remembered for decades for that punch.

I hope these two teams meet in the postseason.

Odor is a 20 year old up-and-comer with serious skills and attitude. That punch and video will be talked about for 25 years. I feel a meme coming on.

Go back and look at the video of Odor's slide against the Angels last year....slides spikes up, off the bag, and stomps a guys exposed leg. Brutal. I think he is crazy talented, probably the best 2nd baseman in the AL not named Cano, but when you do **** like that you kind of lose respectability for reacting to hard slides. Bautista's was deemed illegal because he went past the bag. Had noting to do with his angle to the bag or contact with Odor.

And if I had a choice to be remembered 10 years from now, I would pick the bat flip to end all bat flips to win a playoff series over a sucker punch during a regular season game in May.

And if I had a choice to be remembered 10 years from now, I would pick the bat flip to end all bat flips to win a playoff series over a sucker punch during a regular season game in May.

Sucker punch? Looked like a Wendell Clark special to me...I think it could have gotten really bad for Joey Bats if Beltre didn't step in.

Sucker punch? Looked like a Wendell Clark special to me...I think it could have gotten really bad for Joey Bats if Beltre didn't step in.

No doubt, he landed one right on the button - would have planted me on my ***, that's for sure. But Bautista's hands were down and Odor threw the punch and then slid behind 3 teammates (watch the extended replays). You can argue that it's not a sucker punch because it seemed like a fight was inevitable, but I think that it escalated that quickly kind of took everyone involved by surprise, don't you think?

Go back and look at the video of Odor's slide against the Angels last year....slides spikes up, off the bag, and stomps a guys exposed leg. Brutal. I think he is crazy talented, probably the best 2nd baseman in the AL not named Cano, but when you do **** like that you kind of lose respectability for reacting to hard slides. Bautista's was deemed illegal because he went past the bag. Had noting to do with his angle to the bag or contact with Odor.

Odor is not an angel. Plays hard, with an attitude, and probably dirty at times. The kind of guy you want on your team, but hate when he's on the other team. Kind of like Bautista. Bautista's slide past the bag was completely intended to create contact with Odor. So, while it wasn't outrageous contact, it was intended contact. A "good" illegal slide, but illegal according to the rules nonetheless. Odor's slide was bad in every sense of the word. A true 'punk' move. Love him on your team, hate him everywhere else.

Of course you are going to pick the bat flip. However, I'm talking about baseball fights, not showmanship. The bat flip was something that will be talked about for years. Great attitude, a spectacular hit at a crucial moment. Truly, though, lots of guys do similar types of flips. And, while lots of guys get into fights, you'll probably go an awfully long time before seeing a full-on hit to the jaw like that one, with glasses and helmet coming off.

No doubt, he landed one right on the button - would have planted me on my ***, that's for sure. But Bautista's hands were down and Odor threw the punch and then slid behind 3 teammates (watch the extended replays). You can argue that it's not a sucker punch because it seemed like a fight was inevitable, but I think that it escalated that quickly kind of took everyone involved by surprise, don't you think?

Drake deserved to be punched. He had no business being on the field. That dude is always trying to insert himself into the action.

Wasn't a sucker punch... Only thing I'm pissed about is that Bush wasn't on roster when game 5 happened, should have been Dyson and should have been first game of the first series in Toronto.

Wasn't a sucker punch... Only thing I'm pissed about is that Bush wasn't on roster when game 5 happened, should have been Dyson and should have been first game of the first series in Toronto.

This hopefully will turn into a great rivalry for years to come.

If it had happened in the first game of the first series in Toronto, there would have been retaliation after retaliation over the next 6 games. Who knows how many players and coaches from both teams would have been suspended for a bunch of games?

Yes, it's kind of lame for it to take place in the 8th inning of the last time these two teams will meet this year, but truthfully it's better for both teams. Fewer suspensions of meaningful players.

Some real excitement in baseball!

This hopefully will turn into a great rivalry for years to come.

If it had happened in the first game of the first series in Toronto, there would have been retaliation after retaliation over the next 6 games. Who knows how many players and coaches from both teams would have been suspended for a bunch of games?

Yes, it's kind of lame for it to take place in the 8th inning of the last time these two teams will meet this year, but truthfully it's better for both teams. Fewer suspensions of meaningful players.

Some real excitement in baseball!

Odor is going to get the worst of it. My guess is 6 games...

Yep. They aren't the love able losers anymore. Funny how winning can change that...

Winning? Cubs? HAHAHA What have the Cubs won? The month and a half of April and May?

100 years have passed and the only thing the Cubs have to show for it is Bartman, a drunk old announcer, and a goat!!

Winning? Cubs? HAHAHA What have the Cubs won? The month and a half of April and May?

100 years have passed and the only thing the Cubs have to show for it is Bartman, a drunk old announcer, and a goat!!

I can't argue with your sentiment but this is a new year. There's all types of stats demonstrating how the Cubs have dominated this year. They have been on a record pace for wins this year. This is the first time in my life where every game I expect them win. And when they don't, I'm asking what happened. Trust me, as a Cubs fan, this year feels very different then any year since 1984....

I can't argue with your sentiment but this is a new year. There's all types of stats demonstrating how the Cubs have dominated this year. They have been on a record pace for wins this year. This is the first time in my life where every game I expect them win. And when they don't, I'm asking what happened. Trust me, as a Cubs fan, this year feels very different then any year since 1984....

After a month and a half?? We are only a quarter of the way through the season.

Given the Cubs history you shouldn't take anything for granted. Perfect example 1984....

Take that right cross Joey Bats. Hilarious. You got plunked and punked!

Really? The way I see it the Rangers looked like punks and cowards. Cowards wait until the last at bat of the last game of the season. My respect is raised for Bautista. He delivered an expected good hard slide well within the unwritten rules of baseball then took a totally unexpected, unblocked, direct punch from Odor and didn't even get knocked down. Odor isn't going to deliver a cleaner, harder punch than that (save for a totally blind sucker punch). The fact he elevated the situation so quickly and yet couldn't even knock Bautista down is going to lose a lot a lot of respect from players on other teams. He will be known as the hot head that can't back it up. Other teams will be looking for an opportunity to injure him.

Really? The way I see it the Rangers looked like punks and cowards. Cowards wait until the last at bat of the last game of the season. My respect is raised for Bautista. He delivered an expected good hard slide well within the unwritten rules of baseball then took a totally unexpected' date=' unblocked, direct punch from Odor and didn't even get knocked down. Odor isn't going to deliver a cleaner, harder punch than that (save for a totally blind sucker punch). The fact he elevated the situation so quickly and yet couldn't even knock Bautista down is going to lose a lot a lot of respect from players on other teams. He will be known as the hot head that can't back it up. Other teams will be looking for an opportunity to injure him.[/quote']

Not to mention when Bautista's teammates finally made it to the field, guess who was literally the furthest player away? There is a great still shot of the mob in right field and Odor is on the far side of the pile, protected by about every Ranger possible. Donaldson almost got there bit 3 of Odor's teammates tackled him before he could get him

Really? The way I see it the Rangers looked like punks and cowards. Cowards wait until the last at bat of the last game of the season. My respect is raised for Bautista. He delivered an expected good hard slide well within the unwritten rules of baseball then took a totally unexpected' date=' unblocked, direct punch from Odor and didn't even get knocked down. Odor isn't going to deliver a cleaner, harder punch than that (save for a totally blind sucker punch). The fact he elevated the situation so quickly and yet couldn't even knock Bautista down is going to lose a lot a lot of respect from players on other teams. He will be known as the hot head that can't back it up. Other teams will be looking for an opportunity to injure him.[/quote']

You are hilarious RR. Timing and situation to plunk him was perfect. You are in the minority. The unwritten rules of baseball were exercised perfectly. The slide was hard and and I have no problem with it. The punch came before Drake could get one off on his own. Beautiful and as what another poster noted, his press conference after couldn't have been better unless he was wearing a skirt, cuz he looked like a little broken bitch. Agree to disagree brother.

After a month and a half?? We are only a quarter of the way through the season.

Given the Cubs history you shouldn't take anything for granted. Perfect example 1984....

Never EVER in my life have I expected the Cubs to win games. So take that however you see fit. I'm allowed to be an optimist. I'm a Cubs fan. This year does have a different feel. The Cubs used to be swing and miss hitters. Go big after some power hitting home run hitter and forget all about the farm system. They did that 30 plus years. These guys are young. They bring excitement. What would you have us Cubs fans do, sit and gloat?

As for the plunking...it was a little weak but well deserved. If it happened early then you'll have guys on both teams missing excess games. What would be the point of that. It's done. It should be over with. But, something tells me with Bautista it won't be. He had a great hard slide. Just like the old days. But he got just what he deserved when you slide that late(over the bag) and at a guys leg. He knew what was going to happen. He should had been ready for a fight, but he thought this was going to be just another baseball brawl of hugging and grabbing.