2016 MLB Thread

OKCIrish99

• Replies 102
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

3 story lines you're most interested in following this year????

For me,

#1 seems obvious - the Cubs. Is this finally the year?

#2 for me is Washington. They seem like an MTV reality show. With all their talent are they going to flame out again? What happens with Papelbon and Harper?

#3 is me being biased, but does the world series return north of the border? I personally believe Toronto is better this year than last year. But if they do crap the bed, do they trade Bautista and Encarnacion for young pitching?

I look forward to your thoughts!!

Well, it's an even year, means the Giants will win it all. :-P That's partially in jest, but they've got a decent chance.

My Playoff teams:

NL: Cards, Cubs, Mets, Giants, Nats

AL: Royals, Astros, Jays, Red Sox, Rangers

I'll take the Cubs over the Jays. I think we're looking at amazing 3-5 year stretch of baseball with the ungodly amount of young talent in the game.

• 3 weeks later...

Losing Schwarber stings for the Cubs but think they'll be ok. Definitely a big opportunity for Jorge Soler who got his first dinger yesterday. Want to see Javier Baez get some more playing time after he completely recovers. Pretty great start for the MLB season though all around.

Was at the Cubs game yesterday. Terrific atmosphere in AZ. Cubs fans were everywhere. I almost caught the Brito home run ball. Looking forward to watching the home opener tonight!

Yep, went to the game on Saturday. Great crowd. ALOT of Chicago fans that are transplants out here. THe Cubs look pretty good so far. :)

Losing Schwarber stings for the Cubs but think they'll be ok. Definitely a big opportunity for Jorge Soler who got his first dinger yesterday. Want to see Javier Baez get some more playing time after he completely recovers. Pretty great start for the MLB season though all around.

That's just it, Baez will be back! Even though Schwarber has great pop, he was a defensive liability. They will be much better defensively in the long run, IMO without him. He needs to catch. Too much depth in the outfield. You'll see Bryant in left, Szucar, Soler, and probably some Dexter when Baez or Heyward are in center. I don't see the loss of Schwarber costing them. Maybe in the playoffs, but not during the season.

Boy am I glad they didn't trade Soler in the offseason.

That's just it, Baez will be back! Even though Schwarber has great pop, he was a defensive liability. They will be much better defensively in the long run, IMO without him. He needs to catch. Too much depth in the outfield. You'll see Bryant in left, Szucar, Soler, and probably some Dexter when Baez or Heyward are in center. I don't see the loss of Schwarber costing them. Maybe in the playoffs, but not during the season.

Boy am I glad they didn't trade Soler in the offseason.

Agree completely. If you wanna go simply based on WAR. What they lose in his bat will be made up by defensive WAR and whatever they get outta Soler+. In reality, Soler could but up 25+ bombs and no one is talking about it anymore. It's hurts for the times of year they need a DH though, even if just a little bit.

Agree completely. If you wanna go simply based on WAR. What they lose in his bat will be made up by defensive WAR and whatever they get outta Soler+. In reality, Soler could but up 25+ bombs and no one is talking about it anymore. It's hurts for the times of year they need a DH though, even if just a little bit.
Soler has no excuses anymore at all. This is a huge opportunity for him. Think Maddon/Theo are almost going to treat this a prove it year for him considering Schwarber/Baez injury status. Supposedly he had issues in left field before but hopefully he'll get accustomed to it. Hope he makes the most of the opportunity. Nice 3 run bomb by Addison Russell last night! Think that kid is going to have a heckuva year.

• 2 weeks later...

I hate the Cubs (I'm a White Sox fan) but love the team they put together. A lot of young players with low egos and high talent.

It's hard to imagine a scenario where the Cubs don't win a WS over the next 4 years. That being said, they are the Cubs so there's still hope for me that they will somehow screw this up in dramatic fashion.

Hopefully the White Sox can keep up the illusion of being a top team into June/July when they play the cross-town series.

Best pitcher in baseball right now.

Still don't see him being more valuable than Kershaw but what he has been doing is absolutely incredible

Over his last 25 starts his median ER allowed is 0!!

Kershaw is absolutely incredible though.....maximum durability....4++ pitches and a +change....had 301 K's last year....multiple no hitters....MVP....hasn't finished lower than 5th in Cy Young voting in past 6 years and won 3 of them...The best Pitchers in the game today are amazing to watch....so many future HOF pitchers in the game right now

Still don't see him being more valuable than Kershaw but what he has been doing is absolutely incredible

Over his last 25 starts his median ER allowed is 0!!

Kershaw is absolutely incredible though.....maximum durability....4++ pitches and a +change....had 301 K's last year....multiple no hitters....MVP....hasn't finished lower than 5th in Cy Young voting in past 6 years and won 3 of them...The best Pitchers in the game today are amazing to watch....so many future HOF pitchers in the game right now

He's not more valuable because of age and contract, but I think since June last last year he's been the best pitcher in baseball.

Jays' Chris Colabello suspended 80 games for PEDs...
Evidently it was news to him also (regarding a positive ped test.) If he was really innocent, that would royally suck. Very harsh suspension honestly. MLB isn't messing around with peds at all anymore.