2016 MLB Thread

OKCIrish99

Allright. Pitchers and catchers officially report this week so let's get this started. As a Cubs' fan, I cannot wait to get this season started. Adding Lackey, Heyward, Zobrist, and Adam Warren is exciting and having another year for our youngsters. A few questions to get the ball rolling:

1) What teams do you like this year overall?

2) Possible MVP/rookie of the year candidates?

3) Predictions for each division/series etc.

Mine-

1) Cubs (duh), Arizona, NY Mets- NL Red Sox, Royals, Rangers

2) Harper, Trout, Byron Buxton, Corey Seager

3) Cubs over Red Sox in 7

• Replies 102
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I think the Cubs and Pirates are the two best teams in the NL and think those are the two I'd favor for the NL crown.

In the AL I like the Rangers if fully healthy. Hammel/Darvish is an awesome 1/2 combo and they still have a good offense. Along with them, the Blue Jays and Royals will remain very good as well.

I hope it doesn't happen, but I'll say Blue Jays over Pirates in the World Series.

AL MVP and Cy Young - Trout/Darvish

NL MVP and Cy Young - Harper/Kershaw

ROY - Berrios/Turner

I think the Cubs and Pirates are the two best teams in the NL and think those are the two I'd favor for the NL crown.

In the AL I like the Rangers if fully healthy. Hammel/Darvish is an awesome 1/2 combo and they still have a good offense. Along with them, the Blue Jays and Royals will remain very good as well.

I hope it doesn't happen, but I'll say Blue Jays over Pirates in the World Series.

AL MVP and Cy Young - Trout/Darvish

NL MVP and Cy Young - Harper/Kershaw

ROY - Berrios/Turner

Say whaaaaaaaaa?????

Playoffs I'm going:

AL Division winners: Blue Jays (obviously), Royals, Rangers

Wild Card: Red Sox, Astros

Last team out: White Sox

NL D: Mets, Cubs, Giants

Wild Card: Dodgers, Pirates

Last team out: Cardinals

Cubs over Rangers (just threw up a little....not about the Cubs - that would be awesome [2nd to Toronto of course], but more for the Rangers. Hate their manager)

MVP: Trout (close 2nd for Donaldson), Bryant

Rookies: Gallo, Matz (I think he still qualifies??)

Pumped for this season!

I love the Giants this season the additions they made put them over the top considering they almost made it to postseason last year without half their lineup

I always like the Nats and they always dissapoint

Like the Mets again of course

Im not as high on the Dodgers as most and think the Dbacks made great improvements

Marlins are a sneaky team that I think got a lot better revamping their whole bullpen

Although the NL Central is where the NL will be won this year and I think the battle between the Cubs cards and pirates will be fun to watch...I think Cubs edge cards in regular season, but the birds take the NL crown

In the AL I LOVE THE YANKEES THIS YEAR....that insanity of a bullpen will be exciting to watch...they already have a big injury in Greg Bird...but if they stay healthy they will be tough to top in the east even for the jays stacked lineup...Orioles will have a drop off...Red Sox could contend but I think it is still a mixed locker room as far as personalities and could just turn into a Papi goodbye tour

White Sox made excellent additions this season to help them win along with Rodon and Sale they could make things interesting with the Tigers and Royals...speaking of tigers the trade they made of price last year will pay off soon and maybe sooner than most think as Norris looks filthy and Verlander started figuring it out late last year...Twins surprised last year and have youth that will be there soon, but still may be 1-2 years away (I was wrong about Cubs last year as I thought they would finish .500 maybe twins are 2015 Cubs?) Royals play a brand of baseball I don't particularly enjoy and we'll see if they can keep it up

THE A's WILL NO DOUBT WIN THE AL WEST AL AND WORLD SERIES (just kidding...I'm the only A's fan I've ever known so I have to do these sort of things to stay sane). The Angels will continue to not supply one of the greatest young players ever with what he needs to reach post season (this pisses me off because I love Trout but makes me happy because u hate the Angels) Texas like the Yankees will be scary if they are healthy but that is always a BIG IF....I want to see them in a WS again without a DH in Right Field (lost a lot of money on that Nelson Cruz misplay in game 6 interesting story really if anyone wants to hear) Astros are my team to beat in the West though as they have made the greatest rebuild in a short time in sports history, so much talent and depth

NL WEST

1) Giants

2) Dodgers

3) Dbacks

4) Padres

5) Rockies

Dbacks could surprise and finish 2nd here over Dodgers pretty confident in Giants here though

NL Central

1) Cubs

2) Cardinals

3) Pirates

4) Brewers

5) Cow ****

5) Reds

3 horse race where all the horses are on roids....possibly 3 best teams in baseball

NL EAST

1) Mets

2) Nationals

3) Marlins

4) Phillies

5) Braves

Don't be surprised if Marlins make a run at this division I like what they are doing and if Ozuna gets his head out of his butt and Stanton and Jose stay healthy they have all the makings of a future title contender...Mets may have best rotation of all time talent wise

AL WEST

1) Astros

2) Rangers

3) Angels

4) Mariners

5) A's

Astros are my faves cuz they hit some freaking dingers...they also play surprisingly great defense and they have this Correa kid who's every bit of trout and Harper at a more premium position except he's Latin and won't get the hype which is BS....Rangers here are also very good put i think they'll need Darvish and won't rely on that to say they'll win division....Trout watches postseason from home again

AL Central

1) White Sox

2) Royals

3) Twins

4) Tigers

5) Indians

I love Chris Sale enough to put the White Sox on top...the royals lack of money will show soon since they haven't been stocking first round picks for a decade now....I am biased because I dislike the royals and how they play (yordano Ventura is the biggest POS in baseball right with papplebon)....Tigers and Twins are tough to judge here because they have great potential, it is just whether it will be realized

AL East

1) Yankees

2) Blue Jays

3) Rays

4) Red Sox

5) Orioles

Toughest division to call I think professionalism and experience of Yankees will go a long way this seasonIF THEY ARE HEALTHY....if not that Jays lineup will win a division, but they will not win a series without pitching and defense

NLCS: Cardinals and Giants

ALCS: Astros and White Sox

WS: Cardinals beat Astros (Boo cards for winning every year)

AL MVP: Carlos Correa

AL Cy Young: Chris Sale

AL ROTY: Jose Berrios

NL MVP: Bryce Harper

NL Cy Young: Clayton Kershaw

NL ROTY: Corey Seager

WORST TEAM OF SEASON: The Reds....congrats on trading every valuable player you have for prospects I don't personally care fore (2-3 good pitchers) have fun wasting my favorite hitting mind in Votto

PS:: THIS IS ONE OF MANY REASONS WHY BASEBALL IS THE GREATEST SPORT EVER you have Red Sox in World Series and i have them preseason 4th in division

ALSO D1 COLLEGE BASEBALL STARTS THIS WEEKEND....please find a school near you and look at the schedule...is always cheap and entertaining and the college sport needs to grow because IMO it is the most entertaining level of baseball....Wish me luck as its my first season as a non player

Edited by yikityyakirish

I love the Giants this season the additions they made put them over the top considering they almost made it to postseason last year without half their lineup

I always like the Nats and they always dissapoint

Like the Mets again of course

Im not as high on the Dodgers as most and think the Dbacks made great improvements

Marlins are a sneaky team that I think got a lot better revamping their whole bullpen

Although the NL Central is where the NL will be won this year and I think the battle between the Cubs cards and pirates will be fun to watch...I think Cubs edge cards in regular season, but the birds take the NL crown

In the AL I LOVE THE YANKEES THIS YEAR....that insanity of a bullpen will be exciting to watch...they already have a big injury in Greg Bird...but if they stay healthy they will be tough to top in the east even for the jays stacked lineup...Orioles will have a drop off...Red Sox could contend but I think it is still a mixed locker room as far as personalities and could just turn into a Papi goodbye tour

White Sox made excellent additions this season to help them win along with Rodon and Sale they could make things interesting with the Tigers and Royals...speaking of tigers the trade they made of price last year will pay off soon and maybe sooner than most think as Norris looks filthy and Verlander started figuring it out late last year...Twins surprised last year and have youth that will be there soon, but still may be 1-2 years away (I was wrong about Cubs last year as I thought they would finish .500 maybe twins are 2015 Cubs?) Royals play a brand of baseball I don't particularly enjoy and we'll see if they can keep it up

THE A's WILL NO DOUBT WIN THE AL WEST AL AND WORLD SERIES (just kidding...I'm the only A's fan I've ever known so I have to do these sort of things to stay sane). The Angels will continue to not supply one of the greatest young players ever with what he needs to reach post season (this pisses me off because I love Trout but makes me happy because u hate the Angels) Texas like the Yankees will be scary if they are healthy but that is always a BIG IF....I want to see them in a WS again without a DH in Right Field (lost a lot of money on that Nelson Cruz misplay in game 6 interesting story really if anyone wants to hear) Astros are my team to beat in the West though as they have made the greatest rebuild in a short time in sports history, so much talent and depth

NL WEST

1) Giants

2) Dodgers

3) Dbacks

4) Padres

5) Rockies

Dbacks could surprise and finish 2nd here over Dodgers pretty confident in Giants here though

NL Central

1) Cubs

2) Cardinals

3) Pirates

4) Brewers

5) Cow ****

5) Reds

3 horse race where all the horses are on roids....possibly 3 best teams in baseball

NL EAST

1) Mets

2) Nationals

3) Marlins

4) Phillies

5) Braves

Don't be surprised if Marlins make a run at this division I like what they are doing and if Ozuna gets his head out of his butt and Stanton and Jose stay healthy they have all the makings of a future title contender...Mets may have best rotation of all time talent wise

AL WEST

1) Astros

2) Rangers

3) Angels

4) Mariners

5) A's

Astros are my faves cuz they hit some freaking dingers...they also play surprisingly great defense and they have this Correa kid who's every bit of trout and Harper at a more premium position except he's Latin and won't get the hype which is BS....Rangers here are also very good put i think they'll need Darvish and won't rely on that to say they'll win division....Trout watches postseason from home again

AL Central

1) White Sox

2) Royals

3) Twins

4) Tigers

5) Indians

I love Chris Sale enough to put the White Sox on top...the royals lack of money will show soon since they haven't been stocking first round picks for a decade now....I am biased because I dislike the royals and how they play (yordano Ventura is the biggest POS in baseball right with papplebon)....Tigers and Twins are tough to judge here because they have great potential, it is just whether it will be realized

AL East

1) Yankees

2) Blue Jays

3) Rays

4) Red Sox

5) Orioles

Toughest division to call I think professionalism and experience of Yankees will go a long way this seasonIF THEY ARE HEALTHY....if not that Jays lineup will win a division, but they will not win a series without pitching and defense

NLCS: Cardinals and Giants

ALCS: Astros and White Sox

WS: Cardinals beat Astros (Boo cards for winning every year)

AL MVP: Carlos Correa

AL ROTY: Jose Berrios

NL MVP: Bryce Harper

NL ROTY: Corey Seager

WORST TEAM OF SEASON: The Reds....congrats on trading every valuable player you have for prospects I don't personally care fore (2-3 good pitchers) have fun wasting my favorite hitting mind in Votto

PS:: THIS IS ONE OF MANY REASONS WHY BASEBALL IS THE GREATEST SPORT EVER you have Red Sox in World Series and i have them preseason 4th in division

ALSO D1 COLLEGE BASEBALL STARTS THIS WEEKEND....please find a school near you and look at the schedule...is always cheap and entertaining and the college sport needs to grow because IMO it is the most entertaining level of baseball....Wish me luck as its my first season as a non player

Where did you play? My playing days are over as well, but I interned with UNLV baseball after (including travel). Very fun days.

Austin Peay....Im GA until I finish school....then hope to be D-op

That's awesome man. My internship was essentially assistant to the D-op. After graduation just back in December I was suppose to take over as D-op while going to grad school. Unfortunately, a lot of stuff went down including the HC being fired and the school took the position away completely.

A D-op position is really fun and I've inquired to other schools in the last few months. Good luck man!

I don't know how you can question the Jays defense. I would argue that they have one of the top 3 defenses in the MLB - when Goins plays (and unfortunately bats), the infield of JD, Tulo, Goins, and Smoak is airtight. Martin throws out more baserunners than just about anybody. Pillar catches EVERYTHING. Saunders/Pompey is a huge improvement over Revere and Jose Bautista may be slowing down on gappers, but he still has that cannon of an arm.

As for pitching, yes, they are not as good as last year. But we get a whole season of Stroman and I don't know what the hell they did to Happ in Pittsburgh but I hope to God he brought it north with him.

Very excited to see what this Minnesota team becomes - they are loaded with young talent.

Jays won't have the pitching...and they have some very difficult decisions to make with Bautista and Encarnacion...

Wonder how Donaldson follows up last season's efforts.

Love Donaldson. Did Toronto even make a serious effort to keep Price? Dude was sick during the regular season but seems to hit a wall during the postseason. Boston paid out the wazoo for him.

Love Donaldson. Did Toronto even make a serious effort to keep Price? Dude was sick during the regular season but seems to hit a wall during the postseason. Boston paid out the wazoo for him.

No, not at all...pretty sure they were banking on signing Samardzija or Greinke...

No, not at all...pretty sure they were banking on signing Samardzija or Greinke...
I think SF overpaid for Samardzija. Dude got a crazy contract for a 4.96 era last year and lifetime over 4. Know he can he have some good stuff at times. Greinke's deal was insane with Arizona. Him and Miller will be tough in Arizona.

I think SF overpaid for Samardzija. Dude got a crazy contract for a 4.96 era last year and lifetime over 4. Know he can he have some good stuff at times. Greinke's deal was insane with Arizona. Him and Miller will be tough in Arizona.

Not a big fan of Miller. They gave up a king's ransom to get him as well. Will hurt in the long run I think.

I don't know how you can question the Jays defense. I would argue that they have one of the top 3 defenses in the MLB - when Goins plays (and unfortunately bats), the infield of JD, Tulo, Goins, and Smoak is airtight. Martin throws out more baserunners than just about anybody. Pillar catches EVERYTHING. Saunders/Pompey is a huge improvement over Revere and Jose Bautista may be slowing down on gappers, but he still has that cannon of an arm.

As for pitching, yes, they are not as good as last year. But we get a whole season of Stroman and I don't know what the hell they did to Happ in Pittsburgh but I hope to God he brought it north with him.

Very excited to see what this Minnesota team becomes - they are loaded with young talent.

I kind of use pitching and defense hand in hand...but you are correct they are very good defensively...actually the best if tulo stays healthy....if they do win it all this year I will be interested what happens to pitching contracts compared to position player contracts in the league...I find it completely ironic that a defensive mistake from Joey bats cost them dearly last year due to how good they were on D

Not a big fan of Miller. They gave up a king's ransom to get him as well. Will hurt in the long run I think.
Big right hander. Career 3.22 ERA. Not too shabby. They did give up a lot including Dansby Swanson. Would you have dealt Soler for him as was rumored? Honestly, I think I would have if I'd have known that we were getting Heyward. Also, what do you think about Adam Warren starting? Don't think he will, but I think the club should consider it. Underrated acquisition here.

Big right hander. Career 3.22 ERA. Not too shabby. They did give up a lot including Dansby Swanson. Would you have dealt Soler for him as was rumored? Honestly, I think I would have if I'd have known that we were getting Heyward. Also, what do you think about Adam Warren starting? Don't think he will, but I think the club should consider it. Underrated acquisition here.

I tend not to look at ERA as my go to stat for pitchers. Many of his advance stats and peripherals show him as more of a mid-rotation guy than an ace or number 2. So I like him as a mid-rotation guy I really do, but I wouldn't trade Soler for that nor would I give up what the D-backs did for it either.

It's conceivable to think his stats can improve, but his numbers don't indicate the type of success the D-backs paid for.

I tend not to look at ERA as my go to stat for pitchers. Many of his advance stats and peripherals show him as more of a mid-rotation guy than an ace or number 2. So I like him as a mid-rotation guy I really do, but I wouldn't trade Soler for that nor would I give up what the D-backs did for it either.

It's conceivable to think his stats can improve, but his numbers don't indicate the type of success the D-backs paid for.

Totally agree. He reminds me of Brandon Morrow....loads of talent, left going "meh" most of the time

Totally agree. He reminds me of Brandon Morrow....loads of talent, left going "meh" most of the time

Matt Cain at the worst...Josh Beckett at his best....I think Greinke, Miller, Corbin is a solid 123....with a bevy of pitching prospects in the minors I think about 70% of their top prospects are arms....hope Archie Bradley can overcome injuries

Projected with an excellent lineup they are an exciting team this season