Chance at a 2 seed

I was thinking depending who we play round one of the acc tournament I think we are almost a lock for a 3 seed especially if we get a win. If we make a run in the conference tourney how good of a chance do you guys think we could sneak in as the 3rd or 4th 2 seed?

Exciting time of the year!

• Replies 42
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

You'd have to figure that Arizona, Wisconsin and Villanova are locks for 2-seeds, with one of them likely getting a 1-seed. I would think that, as things stand today, Gonzaga and Kansas are ahead of us for the other two 2-seed spots. Oklahoma, Iowa State, Notre Dame, and Maryland are probably the likely 3-seeds.

My guess is that we are the top or 2nd-rated 3 seed so there's a good chance we can move up with a good showing.

If we win the ACC tourney, I we would be a lock for a 2-seed. We'd likely have beaten #2 Duke and #3 Virginia to make it happen. Even if we beat just Duke and lose a close one to Virginia, I think we'd have a good chance.

Here's a link to the ACC bracket for those who are interested...

http://raycomsports.com/sports_labs_docs/m-baskbl/2015_mbb_bracket.pdf

There is certainly a chance, but we would have to either make the finals of the ACC and possibly win it in order to have that happen. It's unlikely. Win our first game against (probably Miami), and a third seed is pretty much locked up.

I know it is all probably based on RPI and "name" and all that other garbage, but I am struggling with Kansas and N. Iowa ahead of us.

I haven't see out SOS in quite a while, but I have to imagine that it is looking better with Mich St, Purdue and Providence all close to top 25.

I guess we just have to win to stop the haters from hating.

If we win the ACC tourney, I we would be a lock for a 2-seed. We'd likely have beaten #2 Duke and #3 Virginia to make it happen. Even if we beat just Duke and lose a close one to Virginia, I think we'd have a good chance.

I would agree that if ND won the ACC then a #2 seed would be justified. right now im seeing ND ending up with a 3 seed, ND would probably be the 3rd or 4th 3 seed in the tourney.

however I think the NCAA owes ND one. back in 2011 when ND was ranked in the top 4 they gave duke the 1 seed over ND when NDs resume was clearly better.

I know it is all probably based on RPI and "name" and all that other garbage, but I am struggling with Kansas and N. Iowa ahead of us.

I haven't see out SOS in quite a while, but I have to imagine that it is looking better with Mich St, Purdue and Providence all close to top 25.

I guess we just have to win to stop the haters from hating.

I would agree with you. I think ND is better than both teams.

The only to get a 2-seed would be to beat Duke and Virginia. I think ND could beat Virginia on a neutral floor if Anderson is out. I really don't think ND can beat Duke in Greensboro, barring some sort of explosion in Duke's hotel minutes before the game. They have just gotten way better than they were since we beat them.

The only to get a 2-seed would be to beat Duke and Virginia. I think ND could beat Virginia on a neutral floor if Anderson is out. I really don't think ND can beat Duke in Greensboro, barring some sort of explosion in Duke's hotel minutes before the game. They have just gotten way better than they were since we beat them.

As evidenced by the absolute spanking they put on us last time. The spanking ND put on Louisville might be reason to believe they are hitting their stride, but the late season mini breakdown makes me feel like I am watching football.

As evidenced by the absolute spanking they put on us last time. The spanking ND put on Louisville might be reason to believe they are hitting their stride, but the late season mini breakdown makes me feel like I am watching football.

I don't see the mini breakdown that some on this forum see. I see a team that was tested in conference play against quality opponents. Playing in close games and losing to teams like Pittsburgh on the road are not something to be ashamed of. It happens to 95% of teams. Now, if you lose all the time that is a different story. This team only has 5 losses though.

I don't see the mini breakdown either, Pittsburgh is a good team and really played their best game of the year to beat us. if we lost to Louisville and maybe Clemson then there is a breakdown but it didn't happen, that Louisville win was big too.

I could see us beating Virginia too but not too sure on Duke, they look REALLY good. If anyone beats Kentucky I would expect it to be the Blue Devils.

Didn't know the road to the ACC championship would have Duke in our path, beating them is the start to a 2 but I don't think we'll be able too.

No shame in a 3 though.

How can we complain about a 5 loss season and a 9/11 ranking...

We need to obviously make it to the Duke game, but I would love it if we just had a lights out game when we played them. Everyone needs to be firing on all cylinders. We need one of those magic moments. I know we have already had a couple this year, but we need a couple more.

We have been snake bitten so many times over the years, it is really hard not to get my hopes up, but I do think this team is different - we have multiple threats instead of just Harrongody or Garrity, etc. and we can play some defense.

I hate to say it because we all want ND to be this good every year, but I think the standards are a bit too high for many on this board. I've heard the narrative, "we should expect to be an elite basketball team and every year and there are no excuses for Brey recruiting the way he does."

Let's not forget that ND has only made the final four once in their history. That alone just tell you to lower expectations. ND is pretty consistently under Brey a top 30 team that makes the tournament almost every year. Should they have done better in the tournament some of the years? Definitely, but if your expectations are for Brey or any coach to be constructing a top 10 every year than you should temper those expectations.

I hate to say it because we all want ND to be this good every year, but I think the standards are a bit too high for many on this board. I've heard the narrative, "we should expect to be an elite basketball team and every year and there are no excuses for Brey recruiting the way he does."

Let's not forget that ND has only made the final four once in their history. That alone just tell you to lower expectations. ND is pretty consistently under Brey a top 30 team that makes the tournament almost every year. Should they have done better in the tournament some of the years? Definitely, but if your expectations are for Brey or any coach to be constructing a top 10 every year than you should temper those expectations.

I agree Brey gets way too much flack for the job he does, he can't work with much. With football it's understandable because we put out a mediocre product and put countless hours and cash into the football program. Let's not forget the recruiting classes show we should have a top 5 team year in year out not 20-30.

Now all the good basketball recruits are one and dones, more than likely. We'll never get a one and done, we might get the odd 4 star and that's it. We'll have a year like this every 3 or 4 years when our senior class is very good and we have some complimentary guys to come in. We bank on him developing these guys to have a year like this and Brey usually does it. He also recruits very well for his system another thing to keep in mind.

I agree Brey gets way too much flack for the job he does, he can't work with much. With football it's understandable because we put out a mediocre product and put countless hours and cash into the football program. Let's not forget the recruiting classes show we should have a top 5 team year in year out not 20-30.

Now all the good basketball recruits are one and dones, more than likely. We'll never get a one and done, we might get the odd 4 star and that's it. We'll have a year like this every 3 or 4 years when our senior class is very good and we have some complimentary guys to come in. We bank on him developing these guys to have a year like this and Brey usually does it. He also recruits very well for his system another thing to keep in mind.

I can see Brey bringing in classes like the DJ and Biedscheid on a more consistent basis, but those at the moment are outliers.

I love how these things snowball out of control. Let's all pump the brakes (Or as I like to say "pump yo brakes"). I don't think anyone is disappointed in this season or it's record, it has been an awesome ride and it has produced some of the most memorable moments (and memes) from ND basketball. Grant's dunk v. GaTech, the comeback v. NcState.

The question that arose early in this thread was whether we could beat Duke as they are in their stride and Virginia, both of which are going to be roadblocks in any championship run. When I talk about a late season mini-collapse I don't think about how well Pitt played, I think of how badly ND played in some of the late season games. Those games where Grant would go 2 for 15 or Vasturia would go 0 for 10 are the result of mental breakdowns. Grant is a freaking beast and he will continue to be a beast in the NBA, he is allowed to have a couple bad games, but you can't argue that there are many times this team has played below it's ability, a lot of times coming away with wins, but a couple Ls a well. They SHOULD have beat Virginia, they led most of the game and then had a defensive breakdown that allowed Va to go on a 9-0 run and claim the lead they would never give up. They pulled ahead of Syracuse late in that game but couldn't maintain defense to come away with the W.

That said, I don't think most of us expect a championship caliber team ANY year. This year has been special, I think Grant accounts for a lot of that and when he is gone the team will probably settle back into a mid major spot and a low seed, but this year is not that year. ND is first and foremost an academic institution, but after that certainly a football school. They are playing against Basketball schools. Duke, Virginia, NC, crap football teams but killer basketball teams. It is rare to field a championship caliber team in both sports (OSU and Florida being two of the more recent exceptions to the rule).

And all of that said, I don't see any haters or nay sayers on here, just a few casual optimists who are a little gunshy after years of optimism turning to poo.

Go Irish, and have a nice day.

--EA

I love how these things snowball out of control. Let's all pump the brakes (Or as I like to say "pump yo brakes"). I don't think anyone is disappointed in this season or it's record, it has been an awesome ride and it has produced some of the most memorable moments (and memes) from ND basketball. Grant's dunk v. GaTech, the comeback v. NcState.

The question that arose early in this thread was whether we could beat Duke as they are in their stride and Virginia, both of which are going to be roadblocks in any championship run. When I talk about a late season mini-collapse I don't think about how well Pitt played, I think of how badly ND played in some of the late season games. Those games where Grant would go 2 for 15 or Vasturia would go 0 for 10 are the result of mental breakdowns. Grant is a freaking beast and he will continue to be a beast in the NBA, he is allowed to have a couple bad games, but you can't argue that there are many times this team has played below it's ability, a lot of times coming away with wins, but a couple Ls a well. They SHOULD have beat Virginia, they led most of the game and then had a defensive breakdown that allowed Va to go on a 9-0 run and claim the lead they would never give up. They pulled ahead of Syracuse late in that game but couldn't maintain defense to come away with the W.

That said, I don't think most of us expect a championship caliber team ANY year. This year has been special, I think Grant accounts for a lot of that and when he is gone the team will probably settle back into a mid major spot and a low seed, but this year is not that year. ND is first and foremost an academic institution, but after that certainly a football school. They are playing against Basketball schools. Duke, Virginia, NC, crap football teams but killer basketball teams. It is rare to field a championship caliber team in both sports (OSU and Florida being two of the more recent exceptions to the rule).

And all of that said, I don't see any haters or nay sayers on here, just a few casual optimists who are a little gunshy after years of optimism turning to poo.

Go Irish, and have a nice day.

--EA

I don't think myself or anyone else was trying to call you out specifically...your post just triggered my response is all. There have been a few on this board who seem to think this team has to win every game by a certain amount of points though or do something special every game. That's just simply not how it works for 95% of college basketball.

Have they played below expectations in a few games this year? Of course, but who doesn't? I guess, I just don't see how they had a mini-collapse. Whenever they had a poor showing (W or L), they seemed to come out the next game with a lot better effort and performance.