How to ditch cable TV?

SDIrishFan

So I'm to the point that I'm tired of taking it in the rear from my cable company. So I'd like to look at ditching cable TV and using a service like Netflix or Amazon prime or something for watching shows.

Obviously I'd still need internet.

My question is has anyone done this?

How do I still watch live tv? Sports etc?

I live in a pretty rural area so I doubt a digital tuner is going to get me much, but maybe.

Any tips or tricks on how to go about this?

• Replies 40
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Sports are the only thing that keep my dish on. It can be done, but you will sacrifice some.

It can be done if you are a casual sports fan I suppose. But I have a feeling 90% of DD members are not casual fans. They have us by the balls. I hope some day we can get dish or something ala cart. I only need 10 channels or so

Here is what I am looking at doing...

http://www.cnet.com/news/dish-launches-20-sling-tv-streaming-video-service-with-channel-lineup-that-includes-espn-disney/ This gets me ESPN, wife gets HGTV and Food Network

Add rabbit ears for locals, plus netflix.. for around $30 a month

I have been with dish for close to 20 years my main complaint is that I want all my TV's hooked up to HD without having to pay a 9.99 a month cost per TV.

I will have to buy 2 ruko sticks for a couple of my older tvs.. but it's still a 1 time cost.

I am waiting for 6 more months before i pull the trigger right now dish is knocking $30 a month off my bill since I am not under contract. Which helps but limited to 4 tvs without going to crazy expensive prices. I have 3 more tvs I would hookup in spare rooms, garage etc.

It can be done if you are a casual sports fan I suppose. But I have a feeling 90% of DD members are not casual fans. They have us by the balls. I hope some day we can get dish or something ala cart. I only need 10 channels or so

you nailed it. Not only do they have me by the balls...I am now wondering how I can get access to BEIN...so I can watch Spanish/French soccer.

totally interested in getting out from under Comcast...just not ready to completely leave the grid

I know. I just recently finished a Nielson survey where I had to log what I watched for a week. It's amazing to see how few channels I watch. I felt like I had to force myself to watch something on HBO so I wouldn't feel bad about paying for it.

Cable loves to screw over long term customers.

SDIrish,

If you can do without baseball, March madness, or the NBA playoff, you might want to cancel your service. Most channels have their shows available online.

After a couple of months your cable company will be offering you a deal to come back.

Ya, I don't watch a ton of sports, honestly. If something is on I may watch it for a bit.

I'll definitely need to have options for my 5 year old, who likes to watch cartoons before school in the morning.

I've pretty much played the game for years switching between cable providers and taking advantage of their deals, but that gets annoying as well.

I probably watch more TV than I should but whatta ya do.

Ya, I don't watch a ton of sports, honestly. If something is on I may watch it for a bit.

I'll definitely need to have options for my 5 year old, who likes to watch cartoons before school in the morning.

I've pretty much played the game for years switching between cable providers and taking advantage of their deals, but that gets annoying as well.

I probably watch more TV than I should but whatta ya do.

I haven't looked into Amazon Prime yet but I stream Netflix and have found enough stuff to keep me busy for a while. Have you looked into Hulu? They have a lot of shows. Between the two you may be able to manage. Hulu has a 7 day free trial and netflix has a 30 day. Give it a shot.

So I'm to the point that I'm tired of taking it in the rear from my cable company. So I'd like to look at ditching cable TV and using a service like Netflix or Amazon prime or something for watching shows.

Obviously I'd still need internet.

My question is has anyone done this?

How do I still watch live tv? Sports etc?

I live in a pretty rural area so I doubt a digital tuner is going to get me much, but maybe.

Any tips or tricks on how to go about this?

Check out rainierland.com

If you have a smart tv then you are golden. I am currently watching all seasons on Game of Thrones which is not available on Netflix. I also watched all the academy award nominated movies. PS ... Its free

If you don't mind peni being flashed in front of you VCdomer can FaceTime you the shows you want to watch on his phone.

Peni as in multiple penises? A single slingblade I might be able to deal with as long as it was only every 15 minutes or so. But a whole pigpen crossing the screen every 5 minutes for a four hour game might be more than I can gut out.

I haven't looked into Amazon Prime yet but I stream Netflix and have found enough stuff to keep me busy for a while. Have you looked into Hulu? They have a lot of shows. Between the two you may be able to manage. Hulu has a 7 day free trial and netflix has a 30 day. Give it a shot.

Prime is pretty similar, but they have an additional tier of paid rentals. Netflixbprobably has more free content worth watching.

But if you use the other Prime services, music, photos, free shipping!etc., I tuink Prime offers the better value.

Prime is pretty similar, but they have an additional tier of paid rentals. Netflixbprobably has more free content worth watching.

But if you use the other Prime services, music, photos, free shipping!etc., I tuink Prime offers the better value.

I'm sure my wife would love the free two-day shipping from Amazon.

We have had Directv for awhile and have been happy. You can typically talk them into lowering your bill, throwing in freebies, and their options are endless for programming. We're huge sports and movie people, and they are perfect for that. Best of luck if you really ditch the cable.

Movies and premium series = http://www.primewire.ag (use the sharepo.com option after choosing what to watch)

Tv = nothing good is on. Ever.

Irish games = stream live online w/ Chromecast or go to a bar.

Been off the grid for years...such a waste of money

Admirable Echo for you to get off cable. Imagine it's like anything else once you get used to it. I think it would be bearable with a dvd player and "rabbit ears" to get locals. We plan on keeping it though. ;)