Derek "Karma" Jeter

Rocketsan

• Replies 35
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

That dude deservedly sh!ts gold bricks...

What an ending to a wonderful career...

That was his fruit basket to us all. Really unbelievable to think about it. Breaks up with gorgeous actress, dates model. Breaks up with model, dates supermodel. Breaks up with supermodel, dates Jennifer Grey--pre-nose job. Oh yeah, and his HOF career, too... Class act though through all of it.

it was a really cool moment.

but the team misses postseason again.

you could ask for a better ending.

hell, even a home run is a better ending in this game alone.

perfect storybook ending is walk off hit in game 7 of the world series.

How many rings does he have though? At least 4 and I'm pretty sure most people would say that's perfect in itself despite the last two "abysmal" seasons. :grin: That walkoff single, despite not being a blast out of NY, summed up Jeter's career. He didn't come up there and blast homers into oblivion, he hit clutch singles and doubles and scored the runs needed to win. I'd hate to play the game of Life against him, 'cause he'd win every time...

amazing finish to a legendary career.

yesterday's game was the only game at Yankee Stadium in his career that he was eliminated from post season contention. That says a lot about the Captain.

Love the fact that he will not play in the field in Boston as homage to NY.

I don't think we ever see another guy like this again.

Having grown up in So. Bend, I had no connection to the Yanks. (Watched a ton of Cubbies but was more of a Sox fan.) But anyway, as an adult, I found myself watching the Yanks a lot, and it was mainly because of Jeter.

I just have a ton of respect for the way the guy approached the game, which it's kinda sad that we have to make such a big deal over anyone who just works hard, follows the rules and doesn't cheat, but such is the current climate with so many athletes who *will* resort to cheating to get an advantage.

That moment last night was really freakin' awesome.

They've had debates before...assuming the other 3 spots on the Yanks Mount Rushmore are taken by the old greats, and you have to pick Jeter or Rivera for the 4th spot, who do you go with? For me, it's Jeter. But you can't go wrong with either pick really :)

I hate the Tankees...I mean Yankees (lifelong Orioles fan), but I must say that I could not have been happier to see his last home game end like that. He is one of those guys that you just cannot dislike.

It is very very cool that he said he will not play SS in the final game(s) he plays in on the road. He wants to have his last game at short be in Yankee Stadium, both for his memory of it and for the fans.

Great player.....and a class act.

It's been quite an honor to watch Jeter play the game of baseball for last 20 years. Echoing others' comments, but he was great leader on and off the field. He will always be remember as one of the greatest to ever play. I definitely looked up to him growing up.

One of the only guys I can think of that compares is Jonathan Toews from the Blackhawks. I think his career will be oddly similar. Just wish hockey was more popular.

I would have watched Jeters final home game if baseball wasn't so damn boring.

That's nice...

I agree some of the comments here, I am not a Yankees fan, I always love to see them miss the playoffs, them and Boston. However, I respect Jeter as much as any player in the league. One of my favorites.

That's nice...

I agree some of the comments here, I am not a Yankees fan, I always love to see them miss the playoffs, them and Boston. However, I respect Jeter as much as any player in the league. One of my favorites.

I do respect jeter too, he's had a great career and has done it with class (something you rarely see anymore). but I just cant stand to watch baseball, it just bores me to tears.

I know that none of this is Jeter's fault. But damn this hysteria is crazy. I wouldn't be surprised if the pitcher gave him that one like they have been doing all season. We will probably never know but an 86 MPH fastball down the middle seems odd, especially in a situation when they should have walked him and went for the double play. He seems to be a great ball player and person but hes not the best player ever, not even close. And not even close to being the best Yankee. Can't blame the guy I would accept all the kudos too, good for him. But the groping and gifts is a little over the top for a GOOD player. Are they gonna do this for LaBron?

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/__UJ9VZB508" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Edited by Jim2Dokes

I wouldn't be surprised if the pitcher gave him that one like they have been doing all season. We will probably never know but an 86 MPH fastball down the middle seems odd, especially in a situation when they should have walked him and went for the double play.

that throw to home to stop the winning run sure seemed pretty close if the intent was 100% to not ruin the storybook ending.

He may not be the best SS, Yank, or player from his generation but I think what people remark when talking about #2 are the attributes he brought outside of talent (leadership, hustle, no baggage, etc)

I know that none of this is Jeter's fault. But damn this hysteria is crazy. I wouldn't be surprised if the pitcher gave him that one like they have been doing all season. We will probably never know but an 86 MPH fastball down the middle seems odd, especially in a situation when they should have walked him and went for the double play. He seems to be a great ball player and person but hes not the best player ever, not even close. And not even close to being the best Yankee. Can't blame the guy I would accept all the kudos too, good for him. But the groping and gifts is a little over the top for a GOOD player. Are they gonna do this for LaBron?

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/xafiSZO_r2g" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

LeBron isn't as loved as Jeter, and I don't think anyone is hyping him as the best player of all time. At least people with any baseball knowledge...

The fact is...he is a class act and one baseball's greats. He deservec everything he got last night. The Orioles did nothing for him intentionally in that game or in that inning.

Edited by LasVegasIrish

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/xafiSZO_r2g" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

no different then brett farve falling down so Michael Strahan could get the sack record.

He is one of son's favorite players. It is so nice to have a role model like him. I hate to see him retire. With all the pro athletes that run from being a role model, I will miss him. He just loves to work hard at playing a game. That is such a message to the next generation. He never once thought he was bigger than the game or his team. Glad I got to take my son to see him play this year.

How many rings does he have though? At least 4 and I'm pretty sure most people would say that's perfect in itself despite the last two "abysmal" seasons. :grin: That walkoff single, despite not being a blast out of NY, summed up Jeter's career. He didn't come up there and blast homers into oblivion, he hit clutch singles and doubles and scored the runs needed to win. I'd hate to play the game of Life against him, 'cause he'd win every time...

totally agree. he is an awesome player and more importantly a decent role model for hard work and dedication. probably not a top 10 yankee though oddly. but there are soooooo many of them.

keith olberman pointed out he didn't exactly ever "lead" the team to a title. those first four rings the yankees were stacked. but jeter played a part in that. it was his first five years though.

my main point is it wasn't a story book ending. but it wasn't a bad ending, either. I don't think he should play in boston, honestly.

I have never been a Yankees fan but have always appreciated the class and work ethic he brought to the park everyday. Playing for one of the highest profile teams in one of the largest television markets and not having one blemish on his character is something in of itself. He kept a low profile, stayed out of the childish bickering in and out of their clubhouse and showed that you can be a professional and a role model without trying too hard. A great and fitting ending to his career with that RBI single walk off. Only Jeter could write that ending. The single greatest example of his class and understanding of the importance he had to the fans in New York was saying that he will not play SS again ant that he only wants to take the view of his SS position in New York with him into retirement.

Even as a Red Sox fan, I can't dislike Jeter. Always a class act.

Looking forward to seeing how Boston will send him off this weekend, even though Jeter said he's not going onto the field to play shortstop. I trust that the tribute from the Boston crowd and the Red Sox organization will be classy and deserving of Jeter's accomplishments.