Why is the biggest sports story in the last few months locked????

DTCBND03

Here's a few fairly common phrases we hear, just off the top of my head.

Shouldn't you be out arresting real criminals. Probably true.

Everyone knows that sex trafficking is a huge problem in my city. There are hot spots where it goes on daily. In fact, a lot know of a place downtown that does it in broad daylight in the morning. They have a guy outside the place "sweeping" the sidewalk but really acting as a bouncer I am pretty sure. Anyways, long story short downtown walking police walk by it probably 20 times a day. But smoke a cigarette outside of 10 feet of a building and you are sure to get a ticket (never happened to me I do not smoke) but it happens.

Agreed, I am considered the DUI guy on my shift, only because I seem to get a lot, averaging about one a week. I have 7 DUIs on my next court date, ill be there all day. :( I love getting DUIs and I am getting pretty good at them. However, drugs still get me. I am going to try and take a school to be certified at better detecting individuals under the influence of drugs, but the budget for training is running short right now.

nickman, I didnt see your post for some reason. What you would like to discuss specifically?

Do you give DUI's to your co-workers? I have a few friends that are police and I used to go to gatherings with one of them. Every cop was getting hammered and driving home. I am sure this is not ALL police, but there was about 30-40 there and I am sure that is a large portion of the force in that area.

The biggest thing that gets me about police is the hypocrisy. A lot showed in TV shows does seem to be true when police break minor laws. Instead of getting arrested for minor infractions (DUIS ect.) they are told "have a good night". Another poster mentioned the "turn on the lights" through lights and everything else only to turn them off as soon as they are through the red. I understand if you have somewhere to go for an emergency, but it seems that police due this just to avoid the red lights a lot.

Anyways, enough of my rant it sounds like you do the right thing as do my friends that wear the badge and that I respect. So thank you for your service.

• Replies 43
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

As for the red light thing, I am sure it still happens, but most departments in my area have cameras that turn on automatically every time the officer initiates his emergency equipment, so the entire "act" the officer just did is recorded. You cannot turn that feature off either, so the Sgt will spot your infraction. Whenever my blue lights flash, my camera is on, no ifs, ands, or buts.

I have yet to pull over a co-worker for suspicion of DUI. However, I did arrest a retired cop for DUI. I have no issue with arresting someone for that. My department and me personally take DUIs very seriously. I am sure other cops on this board have seen more than me, but I have been to too many accidents with serious injury and/or death because of a drunk driver. Those are not fun calls to go to, so if one of my co-workers decides to be that stupid, they are risking an arrest and their career if I catch them. However, I think you are right, some cops still give others breaks on stuff like that. I have given co-workers rides in the back of my patrol car when the bar lets out, which can be fun. Since they are drunk, you can get a laugh from them flopping around in the back... their punishment I guess.

I would probably not give another cop a ticket though... some jurisdictions with multiple departments have gotten into ticket wars over stuff like that. Instead of patroling the streets, the county agency was looking to pull over the city agency and vis versa (no, my department was never involved, but it did happen in Tennessee and it is pretty well known what was going on)... Not very good use of tax payer money. That is not my entire reason, but out of professional courtesy as well. Heck, I may give a guy a break if he has a ND sticker on his car. Before you ask, the answer is no, if someone had a Michigan sticker on their car, I would not be more strick. I never use something "against" a person, only in favor. :) bunch of Bama fans around these parts!

Edited by NDhoosier

• 2 weeks later...

NFL Draft is now moving to Chicago in 2015....as a resident and fan i'm excited.

NFL also just increased it's Sunday Ticket deal with DirecTV from 1 billion to 1.5 billions per year...a 50% increase!!! What does this do for fan experience? Lots. More money for owners...means they can build monstrous stadiums like jerry world...means more money for players means more athletes are drawn to football means more kids grow up wanting to play football as opposed to other sports means NFL retains some of the best athletes in the world means our viewing experience is that much better. Trickle down economics at work...

I rest my case...Goodell's gettin stuff done!

NFL Draft is now moving to Chicago in 2015....as a resident and fan i'm excited.

NFL also just increased it's Sunday Ticket deal with DirecTV from 1 billion to 1.5 billions per year...a 50% increase!!! What does this do for fan experience? Lots. More money for owners...means they can build monstrous stadiums like jerry world...means more money for players means more athletes are drawn to football means more kids grow up wanting to play football as opposed to other sports means NFL retains some of the best athletes in the world means our viewing experience is that much better. Trickle down economics at work...

I rest my case...Goodell's gettin stuff done!

Retaining the best athletes for the NFL!!! That's really grabbing at straws. In fact the more money these idiots make annoys me further but that's beside the point.

That DirectTV package will now cost you more money. This is not the federal reserve where they can print their own cash so more money for owners, players and the NFL means more money you pay for TV rights, merchandising, tickets, concessions etc.... but if that makes you happy then fine.

The NFL is at saturation point and the vast majority of this if fluff. None of it changes the basic viewing experience of watching games.