Why is the biggest sports story in the last few months locked????

DTCBND03

• Replies 43
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Here's a few fairly common phrases we hear, just off the top of my head.

ย 

I know my rights.

You can't do this.

I pay your salary.

You're going to fingerprint that right?

I want my phone call. (Another Hollywood Myth)

I'm a criminal justice major.

I'm going to call my lawyer.

I only had 2 or 3 beers.

That light was yellow.

Shouldn't you be out arresting real criminals.

I want to talk to your supervisor.

This is harassment.

I don't like your tone.

You guys never do anything.

What took you so long.

I want them arrested NOW!

Any type of Doughnut reference.

Here's a few fairly common phrases we hear, just off the top of my head.

ย 

I know my rights.

You can't do this.

I pay your salary.

You're going to fingerprint that right?

I want my phone call. (Another Hollywood Myth)

I'm a criminal justice major.

I'm going to call my lawyer.

I only had 2 or 3 beers.

That light was yellow.

Shouldn't you be out arresting real criminals.

I want to talk to your supervisor.

This is harassment.

I don't like your tone.

You guys never do anything.

What took you so long.

I want them arrested NOW!

Any type of Doughnut reference.

ย 

Krispy Kreme sounds pretty good right now!

Getting a Krispy Kreme store near my apartment! I only get a craving for doughnuts when I am in uniform though. :)

ย 

If you tell me you have had 2 beers, you are too drunk to drive. I should just put handcuffs on you right then and there. The drunks always say 2 beers. I enjoy doing SFSTs though.

ย 

My favorite are the drunks who will constantly say "read me my rights or this case will be thrown out." I always try to explain to them why I dont need to, and the look they have is priceless. The lightbulb in their head is trying to turn on, but there is just not enough electricity for it to light up.

Getting a Krispy Kreme store near my apartment! I only get a craving for doughnuts when I am in uniform though. :)

ย 

If you tell me you have had 2 beers, you are too drunk to drive. I should just put handcuffs on you right then and there. The drunks always say 2 beers. I enjoy doing SFSTs though.

ย 

My favorite are the drunks who will constantly say "read me my rights or this case will be thrown out." I always try to explain to them why I dont need to, and the look they have is priceless. The lightbulb in their head is trying to turn on, but there is just not enough electricity for it to light up.

ย 

2 or 3 is the universal answer for drunk drivers, for whatever reason they feel it's a safe answer although they smell like brewery. If DUI's are your thing, I just went to ARIDE training not too long ago, if you havent been you should check it out. DRE school is no joke but I don't have any interest in putting myself through that. Hammering down on DUI'S will never get old for me. Each arrest is a potential life or lives saved.

Agreed, I am considered the DUI guy on my shift, only because I seem to get a lot, averaging about one a week. I have 7 DUIs on my next court date, ill be there all day. :( I love getting DUIs and I am getting pretty good at them. However, drugs still get me. I am going to try and take a school to be certified at better detecting individuals under the influence of drugs, but the budget for training is running short right now.

ย 

nickman, I didnt see your post for some reason. What you would like to discuss specifically?

Nice keep up the good work. Definitely look into ARIDE then, it's specifically designed to bridge the gap between SFST and Drug Recognition Expert. Not sure if you have any DRE guys but if you do use them. The amount of people driving around blasted on prescription meds is insane, but most people think since they prescribed its all good. Luckily Pa has some good DUI laws which cover driving impaired drug related.

In TN, we just charge them with the same DUI charge as alcohol. I have had a few where it was obvious it was drug related and not alcohol related, so I will ask for blood instead of breath in those situations.

ย 

My shift use to have a DRE, but she was promoted to detective. Now my shift is full of youngins. Dont run from the police when my shift is on I guess. :p

2 or 3 is the universal answer for drunk drivers, for whatever reason they feel it's a safe answer although they smell like brewery. If DUI's are your thing, I just went to ARIDE training not too long ago, if you havent been you should check it out. DRE school is no joke but I don't have any interest in putting myself through that. Hammering down on DUI'S will never get old for me. Each arrest is a potential life or lives saved.

ย 

ย 

In the league of contradictions, you do not get suspended for a DUI. Go figure.

ย 

ย 

Yet another topic Roger Goodell does not have his finder on the pulse with.

ESPN vote "Should Roger Goodell remain as NFL commissioner?" currently at about 500k votes.

ย 

Yes - 40%

No - 60%

ย 

I can't believe the No's

ย 

ย 

Once again, what exactly does Roger Goodell do to make the average fans football experience better?

ย 

The answer is very little and naturally they see his handling of these issues as a farce and he should go.

Once again, what exactly does Roger Goodell do to make the average fans football experience better?

ย 

The answer is very little and naturally they see his handling of these issues as a farce and he should go.

ย 

The NFL Draft. Expanded it to 3 days in 2010 and moved the first round to Thursday. Also will begin to rotate the draft to other cities to increase exposure and allow fans a chance to view in person without going to Radio City.

ย 

Just one of many things he has done to make the average fans football experience better...

Other than giving both teams one offensive possession (regardless of touchdown) I don't know how you can improve it. You can't have the game go on forever given injuries. That rule is also up to the Competition Committee of which Goodell is not a part of:

ย 

The National Football League Competition Committee is a group of eight members chosen from the ranks of the NFL teams' head coaches and managers to oversee competition and suggest rule changes.

As of April 15, 2013,[1] the members were:

Chairman: Rich McKay (Atlanta Falcons)

- Jeff Fisher (St. Louis Rams)

- Stephen Jones (Dallas Cowboys)

- Marvin Lewis (Cincinnati Bengals)

- John Mara (New York Giants)

- Mark Murphy (Green Bay Packers)

- Ozzie Newsome (Baltimore Ravens)

- Rick Smith (Houston Texans)

- Mike Tomlin (Pittsburgh Steelers)

I do? You mean like on topics that are about police? I think it is fair to say what I do in those cases so people understand where I am coming from. Others have brought it up in a backhanded way much like you did in this thread. Or speedster and I joking about the job on live chat?

ย 

ย 

ย 

First, do not down play TV and the media's role in this. Media has a profound impact on how people view this job. I promise you every cop on this board can give you 10 examples from their last shift where media played some role in how people thought of them or what they could or could not do. Most common, Miranda Rights... TV shows have botched the public understanding of Miranda Rights.

ย 

I have heard this before, but I dont think you have much room to talk if you have never gotten a ticket. Do people always tell you after they get a ticket how rude the officer was or something? They break the laws, but it is the cop's fault for catching them. Maybe it is the other way around, people approach us with a preconceived notion and act accordingly, so anything we do is confirmation bias. Besides, people do not really like their rights taken away, even after they have committed a crime, so who do they blame? The person who is doing their job and punishing them for breaking the law. A good example, remember when you were a kid and your dad spanked you for being a bad boy/girl? Well, you hated your dad for the next hour or so "I HATE YOU!"; similar concept in my opinion. Blame the punisher for catching you, not yourself for committing the improper act.

ย 

Tell me, who is the rude one in this video, who "comes off" negatively? The taxpayer or the cop? Before you say this does not happen in real life, it does (except the ice cream part, she aint getting a lick from my cone!). I hear this about twice a month...

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/9b1YqPZAH_M" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

ย 

-If you say the taxpayer is the rude one in this video, then you should realize that we deal with people identical to this on a daily basis, even on the routine traffic stops, then they go back and tell you how rude the cops were.

-If you say the cop is the rude one in this video, then you are an individual who has preconceived notions about cops and if they say anything you do not agree with, they are automatically rude. Also, if you believe this, what could the cop have said to not have been rude? If the cop ignored her, would he have been rude?

ย 

Personally, I hate those "my taxes pay your salary folks". I watched the video and i don't think over 99% of police officers would have been that kind. I can only go by my life experience. I live by a school with a reduced speed limit during certain school hours. Officers would often turn on their sirens just to get around the slow traffic. A neighbor called and complained about it, so now we get sirens blaring every time they drive down the street.

ย 

I'm gonna apologize for what I said in an earlier post. It was ignorant to pass judgment without knowing you. Thanks for your responses and giving me your perspective.

Personally, I hate those "my taxes pay your salary folks". I watched the video and i don't think over 99% of police officers would have been that kind. I can only go by my life experience. I live by a school with a reduced speed limit during certain school hours. Officers would often turn on their sirens just to get around the slow traffic. A neighbor called and complained about it, so now we get sirens blaring every time they drive down the street.

ย 

I'm gonna apologize for what I said in an earlier post. It was ignorant to pass judgment without knowing you. Thanks for your responses and giving me your perspective.

ย 

No problem, if you have any questions regarding police work or legal advice (though remember I am not a lawyer), dont be afraid to ask. I will be more than happy to give you a police officer's perspective to your questions and concerns. If I dont have an answer, I am sure the other officers here who have more experience than I do can help you and/or willing to talk. :)

ย 

99% of cops would not have acted the same way this cop did because every officer has a different personality, there are multiple ways to respond to stuff like that. My point is that the taxpayer in this video will go to her friends at work or family and tell them how rude the cop was. She did not get the answer she wanted, so the cop was automatically rude to her and she is going to let others know about it, put a spin to it, and give a negative view of police to the people she tells. This is simply an example, you can take the concept of that video and apply it to many different situations that police are involved in.

ย 

Again, there are bad cops out there, but not near as many as the media makes it out to be or some people think there is. The issue I have is when people generalize all cops based on the actions of a few, just because a cop in Texas violated someone's rights does not mean I am a bad cop or I abuse people's rights. Most cops, especially in bigger jurisdictions have cameras and/or mics on their uniform. Everything is recorded. Most of the bad cops cannot get away with stuff even if they wanted to.

Edited by NDhoosier