Recipes

• Replies 32
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

No worries at all man, I will take any and all criticism/tips whatever :) I did see this recipe last night on Jimmy Kimmel Live from Adam Perry Lang and it looked really tasty:

ย 

http://abc.go.com/shows/jimmy-kimmel-live/news/news/082714-george-dickel-whiskey-caramel-garlicky-marinade

ย 

I haven't watched the video in the link but it should explain what cut of beef he's using as well.

ย 

For a marinade that thick and heavy I would use a low grade cut of meat. Something like a flank steak that you might otherwise use for Carne Asada. Holds the marinade well and you are not covering the steak flavor.

He used some sort of chuck "roll" that he tied up and cut into 2" thick "steaks." Man it looked good :)

ย 

On baking: I made a few handmade breads this winter and spring using sourdough cultures. Amazingly good stuff. If you ever get a hankering to make bread (but not using a breadmaker), give this book a look: Flour, Water, Salt, Yeast by Ken Forkish. Good stuff :)

• 3 weeks later...
Has anyone smoked catfish? Think about going fishing tonight and just popped in my head. If you've got a recipe that you swear by, let me know.

ย 

Thanks.

ย 

Pulled from the web? Never tried it, but it makes sense. I would use Sriracha instead of Louisiana though.

ย 

Cajun Smoked Catfish Ingredients

4-8 catfish fillets

Water

1 cup salt

1 cup hot sauce (Louisiana preferred)

Cajun seasoning

Salt and black pepper

Cherry or apple wood chips

ย 

ย 

Smoked Catfish Recipe Directions

This recipe calls for a brine to help the fish fillets absorb water and salt before smoking them. The brine will help keep the fish from drying out. Start by filling a couple casserole dishes half full with room temperature water. Put 1/2 a cup of salt in each casserole dish and then lay the catfish fillets inside the salty water mixture. Set the dishes in the refrigerator for 4 hours to let them brine.

Fire up your smoker to 200 degrees. Typical smoking is done between 220-250, but a little lower temperature for these catfish is nice to have to prevent them from cooking too quickly without absorbing the smoke flavor.

Take your catfish out of the refrigerator and out of the brine mixture. Pat the fish dry with a paper towel.

Sprinkle Cajun seasoning, salt and pepper all along the top of the fillets and then drizzle hot sauce on top.

Once your smoker is up to temperature, add cherry or apple wood. Then put your catfish on the smoker grate and close the lid. Position the vents 1/2 to 3/4 open. You can adjust the vents more closed to lower the temperature or open them to increase it while you are smoking. Make sure you maintain the same temperature the entire time you are cooking.

Your catfish fillets should take about 2 to 2 1/2 hours to smoke, depending on the temperature of your smoker and their distance away from the source of the heat. Once the fish has turned flaky white with a warm center, you can take it off the smoker and let it sit for 15 minutes before serving. Letting the fish sit with foil over the top on your counter will allow the juices to redistribute throughout the fillets before serving.

This is something I made tonight, its pretty good.

ย 

1lb of pork sausage

16oz of large shrooms

1/2 block of cream cheese

1 small onion minced

2 cloves of garlic minced

1/2 cup parmesan

1 tablespoon of Italian seasoning

ย 

Clean mushrooms with wet paper towel, separate stems from caps. Set stems aside and mince them.

ย 

Start browning sausage, when sausage is about cooked add all minced items and Italian seasoning. Let cook for 4-5 minutes. Turn heat down and add softened cream cheese. Continue to stir until cream cheese is fully incorporated and melted down. Take this mixture off of heat.

ย 

Use spoon to stuff shrooms with meat mixture and set on baking dish. Be generous with meat mix to shroom ratio. After all shrooms are stuffed dust them heavily with parmesan cheese. Place in oven at 325 for about 45-50 minutes until browned on top.

ย 

ย 

ETA:Wait until 1030pm, passively aggressively insult wife about playing candy crush and sleep in racecar bed with 3 year old son... Life is good lol. I was just joking in case wife knows about DD account!

Edited by nickman54
how night went

Pulled from the web? Never tried it, but it makes sense. I would use Sriracha instead of Louisiana though.

ย 

Cajun Smoked Catfish Ingredients

4-8 catfish fillets

Water

1 cup salt

1 cup hot sauce (Louisiana preferred)

Cajun seasoning

Salt and black pepper

Cherry or apple wood chips

ย 

ย 

Smoked Catfish Recipe Directions

This recipe calls for a brine to help the fish fillets absorb water and salt before smoking them. The brine will help keep the fish from drying out. Start by filling a couple casserole dishes half full with room temperature water. Put 1/2 a cup of salt in each casserole dish and then lay the catfish fillets inside the salty water mixture. Set the dishes in the refrigerator for 4 hours to let them brine.

Fire up your smoker to 200 degrees. Typical smoking is done between 220-250, but a little lower temperature for these catfish is nice to have to prevent them from cooking too quickly without absorbing the smoke flavor.

Take your catfish out of the refrigerator and out of the brine mixture. Pat the fish dry with a paper towel.

Sprinkle Cajun seasoning, salt and pepper all along the top of the fillets and then drizzle hot sauce on top.

Once your smoker is up to temperature, add cherry or apple wood. Then put your catfish on the smoker grate and close the lid. Position the vents 1/2 to 3/4 open. You can adjust the vents more closed to lower the temperature or open them to increase it while you are smoking. Make sure you maintain the same temperature the entire time you are cooking.

Your catfish fillets should take about 2 to 2 1/2 hours to smoke, depending on the temperature of your smoker and their distance away from the source of the heat. Once the fish has turned flaky white with a warm center, you can take it off the smoker and let it sit for 15 minutes before serving. Letting the fish sit with foil over the top on your counter will allow the juices to redistribute throughout the fillets before serving.

ย 

I saw that this afternoon, t looks good. I may try it.....but, didn't go fishing tonight, so...

I love to bake. Now I have fun doing it with the kids (Actually is a freaking nightmare but they have fun). You should try baking, it is extremely cathartic.

ย 

When I was very young I used to bake cookies and cakes. You are right it is fun and it laid a lot of the ground work that has made me a good cook today. Growing up in the late 70 's an early 80 ' s my mom had no choice but to leave me and my older brother home when one of us where sick. If i was sick he would have to stay home an watch me at 13 years old. I would get bored and start cooking even if I had the sniffles. My mom would laugh when she would come home because her 8 year old child was at home sick baking cookies and didn't care if he got in trouble but only cared how the cookies tasted. Baking taught me a lot of fundamentals when I was young and for me to say I don't bake isn't fair because I did at one point. I just don't bake anymore. I should try it again. It's cool that you and your children have so much fun baking. I didn't mean to come of as an a hole.

This is something I made tonight, its pretty good.

ย 

1lb of pork sausage

16oz of large shrooms

1/2 block of cream cheese

1 small onion minced

2 cloves of garlic minced

1/2 cup parmesan

1 tablespoon of Italian seasoning

ย 

Clean mushrooms with wet paper towel, separate stems from caps. Set stems aside and mince them.

ย 

Start browning sausage, when sausage is about cooked add all minced items and Italian seasoning. Let cook for 4-5 minutes. Turn heat down and add softened cream cheese. Continue to stir until cream cheese is fully incorporated and melted down. Take this mixture off of heat.

ย 

Use spoon to stuff shrooms with meat mixture and set on baking dish. Be generous with meat mix to shroom ratio. After all shrooms are stuffed dust them heavily with parmesan cheese. Place in oven at 325 for about 45-50 minutes until browned on top.

ย 

ย 

ETA:Wait until 1030pm, passively aggressively insult wife about playing candy crush and sleep in racecar bed with 3 year old son... Life is good lol. I was just joking in case wife knows about DD account!

ย 

I have been making these for years almost 10 to be exact. > would tell you that the onions and garlic may be to much. It is a great treat with just Jimmy deans hot sausage and cream cheese. Try it it is simple and it is the original recipe with tons of flavor.

1 block of cream cheese to every tube of Jimmy deans hot sausage.

You can also use the same mixture to stuff halve jalapeรฑo peppers that is really good you can wrap them in bacon for a great snack.

When I was very young I used to bake cookies and cakes. You are right it is fun and it laid a lot of the ground work that has made me a good cook today. Growing up in the late 70 's an early 80 ' s my mom had no choice but to leave me and my older brother home when one of us where sick. If i was sick he would have to stay home an watch me at 13 years old. I would get bored and start cooking even if I had the sniffles. My mom would laugh when she would come home because her 8 year old child was at home sick baking cookies and didn't care if he got in trouble but only cared how the cookies tasted. Baking taught me a lot of fundamentals when I was young and for me to say I don't bake isn't fair because I did at one point. I just don't bake anymore. I should try it again. It's cool that you and your children have so much fun baking. I didn't mean to come of as an a hole.

ย 

I don't think we have a facebook "like" emoticon here but if we did, I'd use it here. :)

• 2 weeks later...

2-3lbs Boneless skinless chicken breast

1 package of Italian dressing mix(dry mix)

1 can of cream of chicken

3/4 block of cream cheese

2 tabs of butter

S and P to taste

2 tbs of srirachi(optional)

Spinach is good to add too

ย 

Throw it all in a crock pot on low cook for six hours and serve over egg noodles or mashed taters. The chicken should be falling apart before served.

• 2 weeks later...

Simple stuff here, but should be pretty good for some pulled pork sandwiches later on. Made a cole slaw to go with it.

ย 

The basics:

Preheat oven to 325*

ย 

Heat dutch oven to 375*, I used a little peanut oil for searing, browned for 2-3 minutes a side:

IMG_0399.JPG

ย 

Pull out the shoulder, add a little more oil and scrape anything remaining off the bottom of the oven. Add chopped onion, then garlic, then spices:

w1153-h865-no.jpg

ย 

Spices: toasted whole cumin, piece of anise, and black pepper, ground up in a coffee grinder

IMG_0401.JPG

ย 

Pour about 1 cup ale, bring to boil and stir. Put the shoulder in and pour a little more ale directly over the shoulder, to cover about 1/2

IMG_0402.JPG

ย 

It'll cook for about 2 1/2 hours at 325 with the lid on tightly. After that, if it is done, I'll remove the shoulder, and add some of the ingredients from this recipe to the pan drippings to make a sauce. Shred pork, toss in sauce, put on bun (add cole slaw to sandwich optionally).

ย 

http://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/dave-lieberman/beer-braised-bbq-pork-butt-recipe.html

ย 

If you were an A-hole I missed it. Good back story though, it helps to remember there are people on the other side of the words, makes the world feel a little smaller and less lonesome.