• Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

1 c. Butter

4 c. Frank's Red Hot Sauce

1/2 c. Crushed Red Pepper

1 c. Tabasco

1/2 c. Honey

We usually combine in a saucepan and slowly heat it. Half the recipe usually makes 12 - 20 wings quite sloppy. Whole recipe is probably good for 40 wings. I like it on grilled legs also.

I like to grill my wings, but this is great on fried wings also. Turn up the crushed red pepper for more heat, otherwise this is a great mix of heat and sweet.

What you requested:

Get an 8-10lb. pork shoulder from a local butcher shop or a higher end grocery store like Wegman's or Whole Foods.

Take the shoulder out of the wrapper and put it in a large 2 gallon ziploc bag with ~1 gallon of water, 2 cups of brown sugar and 1 cup of salt. This is the brine I use.

Refrigerate overnight inside of a large aluminum disposable tray with 4 inch sides.

I recommend soaking your wood chips overnight in a large bowl too. Some guys are good with just an hour or so, but I have found that I get better smoke this way. See below for wood chip specifics.

In the morning, take the pork out of the bag and pat it dry with paper towels. Save the aluminum tray because this is what you're going to put the shoulder in once it's done smoking.

Put the dried off pork back in the aluminum pan. Put some latex gloves on (I use medical gloves) and slather the entire shoulder in a liberal layer of Honey Dijon mustard. This actually doesn't give the shoulder much mustard flavor, but rather serves as "glue" for the rub that results in a crispy bark once it's finished cooking.

Now you're ready for the rub. This rub requires you to crush some fennel, coriander, and peppercorn so if you have a mortar and pestle---great. If not, you can put them in a ziploc bag together and smash them with whatever is available.

Dry Rub:

1 Tbsp Morton's Season All Seasoning Salt

1/4 tsp sea salt (or table salt)

1 Tbsp Paprika

1 tsp Cumin

1/2 tsp Cayenne

1 Tbsp crushed fennel seeds

1 Tbsp crushed coriander seeds

1 Tbsp brown sugar

1.5 tsp crushed black peppercorns

1 tsp garlic powder

1 tsp onion powder

After you've crushed everything up and mixed the rub together, don your gloves again and rub the entire mixture over the shoulder, covering every bit of it. You shouldn't have any of the rub left. Let the pork get to room temperature before you put it in the smoker--I always use this time to get the smoker ready.

Wood Chips: For pork, I use apple, pecan, or Jack Daniels chips (JD can be bought in the store even tho I prefer my own). As I said before, you can mix with lump charcoal for an authentic taste...just don't use much.

Water Basin: You can either use all water or your brine mix + water.

Get your smoker leveled out at 215-220 degrees. Using the gloves again, put the shoulder on a rack lined with aluminum foil (because cleaning a smoker sucks). *It is very important that you place the pork with the fat on top! This lets the fat melt down into the roast instead of dropping into the pan.

Every hour or so, spray the shoulder liberally with a small mist bottle (2 part apple cider, 1 part peanut oil, and 1 part apple cider vinegar.

Should cook for about 12 hours. Be sure to check the water basin after about 6 hours to replenish if needed.

When the pork is done, the internal temp should be about 195-200 degrees and the entire outside should be covered in a dark brown/black crust. Do not remove the roast with tongs because it will fall apart. I get two new latex gloves and carefully grab the pork with both hands to transfer it back to the large aluminum pan.

Let it rest for about a half hour on the kitchen counter. You won't even need a fork to pull it apart. I serve it on sandwich rolls/buns with a thin slice of gouda cheese, but shoulder can be served any way you like....

Hope it turns out well!

This is easy and pretty tasty.

3lb Pork loin with fat trimmed

8-10oz of pepsi

1 packet of French onion soup mix

1 small can of cream of mushroom soup

Throw it all in a crock pot and cook on low for 6-8 hours. It should fall apart.

Serve with mashed potatoes or egg noodles.

FYI about half way through cooking it will not look good as the pepsi starts frothing, just let it go it will turn out good.

Not a grilling recipe but here's one I make from time to time. I actually put this one together myself:

Serves 2

Alfredo Sauce

2 Tbsp unsalted butter

3⁄4 cup heavy cream

1 garlic clove, sliced thinly

pinch red pepper flakes

1 Tbsp flat parsley, minced; reserve 1⁄2 Tbsp

pinch kosher salt

1⁄4 tsp ground black pepper

3⁄4 cup ground Parmesan

Heat butter over low heat, stir in heavy cream to combine, bring to a gentle simmer, stirring occasionally

Add garlic slices, red pepper flakes, half of parsley, salt, and black pepper

Whisk to combine, let simmer together for 5-10 minutes over low-medium heat

Reduce heat to as low a simmer as possible

Protein mix

8 large, uncooked shrimp

1⁄4 cup thickly sliced pancetta, roughly 1⁄4” by 1” slices

1⁄2 cup sliced red pepper, 1” x 1⁄4” pieces

1 clove garlic, minced

Pinch salt

three-finger pinch of Cajun seasoning, or to taste

If on-hand, 1 Tbsp compound herb butter, else 1 Tbsp unsalted butter

Optional – for extra heat, finely mince one Thai bird chili, with seeds

Combine in medium glass bowl, let sit for half an hour prior to cooking

Pasta – 1 1⁄4 cup uncooked Penne noodles

Salt water heavily, boil for 9 minutes or until just before al dente

When pasta is cooked through, drain, leave in pot

Melt remaining 1Tbsp butter over medium heat so as not to burn. Once it is shimmering, add protein

mix and increase heat to med-high/high. Stir/flip vigorously for 5 minutes , or until peppers and shrimp

have a nicely charred exterior. Add cooked noodles, continue stirring for 1 minute, reduce heat to low.

Add sauce, stir for 1 to 2 minutes until everything is fully coated.

Serve, garnishing with fresh parsley and optional thai chili.

My go-to BBQ sauce at the moment:

Chipotle Maple BBQ sauce:

3 chipotle peppers, with adobo sauce, pureed and pushed through a sieve

1/4 cup ketchup

1/4 cup pure maple syrup

1 cup chicken stock

1 Tbsp veg oil

1/4 cup diced onion

3 garlic cloves, minced or pressed

1/4 tsp allspice powder

1 Tbsp lemon juice

Heat onion and garlic in oil in a medium saucepan on med-high heat for around 5 minutes, until just browned. Pour in all remaining ingredients except lemon juice and reduce heat to medium. Let reduce/thicken for 20 minutes. Turn off heat, add lemon juice. You can puree the remaining onion and garlic for a richer sauce or strain it out. If you like spicy, do not push the chipotle peppers through a sieve.

I can not take credit for this one. This was posted by foreverirish34 I believe. I made it and it was every bit as good as anything I have had.

BBQ SAUCE RECIPE

Fry up 2 strips of bacon, take bacon out and eat it. Save the grease.

cut up 1 yellow onion and three cloves of garlic and sautee in bacon grease add 2 cups of ketchup, 1/3 cup of molasses, four tablespoons of dry mustard, 1 table spoon of kosher salt, 2 teaspoons of pakrika, 1/3 cup of red wine vingear 2 teaspoons of ground cumin, and two cups of brown sugar, and a half can of pepsi or coke, put all ingredients in a sauce pan and simmer for one hr. Then take the sauce and put it in a blender to smooth it out, you dont have to do this but I think it makes it better.

Not a grilling recipe but here's one I make from time to time. I actually put this one together myself:

Serves 2

Alfredo Sauce

2 Tbsp unsalted butter

3⁄4 cup heavy cream

1 garlic clove, sliced thinly

pinch red pepper flakes

1 Tbsp flat parsley, minced; reserve 1⁄2 Tbsp

pinch kosher salt

1⁄4 tsp ground black pepper

3⁄4 cup ground Parmesan

Heat butter over low heat, stir in heavy cream to combine, bring to a gentle simmer, stirring occasionally

Add garlic slices, red pepper flakes, half of parsley, salt, and black pepper

Whisk to combine, let simmer together for 5-10 minutes over low-medium heat

Reduce heat to as low a simmer as possible

Protein mix

8 large, uncooked shrimp

1⁄4 cup thickly sliced pancetta, roughly 1⁄4” by 1” slices

1⁄2 cup sliced red pepper, 1” x 1⁄4” pieces

1 clove garlic, minced

Pinch salt

three-finger pinch of Cajun seasoning, or to taste

If on-hand, 1 Tbsp compound herb butter, else 1 Tbsp unsalted butter

Optional – for extra heat, finely mince one Thai bird chili, with seeds

Combine in medium glass bowl, let sit for half an hour prior to cooking

Pasta – 1 1⁄4 cup uncooked Penne noodles

Salt water heavily, boil for 9 minutes or until just before al dente

When pasta is cooked through, drain, leave in pot

Melt remaining 1Tbsp butter over medium heat so as not to burn. Once it is shimmering, add protein

mix and increase heat to med-high/high. Stir/flip vigorously for 5 minutes , or until peppers and shrimp

have a nicely charred exterior. Add cooked noodles, continue stirring for 1 minute, reduce heat to low.

Add sauce, stir for 1 to 2 minutes until everything is fully coated.

Serve, garnishing with fresh parsley and optional thai chili.

No homo, can I stay at your place after the game? This sounds fantastic!

I also make a pretty good Thai Pad Kee Mao (Drunken Noodles):

20140304_203139.jpg but it takes time and a shitton of heat, so I have a stove with (2) 25k burners :)

I'll see if I can find the braised short ribs recipe I used a few months back. Holy crap, best thing I've ever made.

Er, nevermind, found it: http://www.epicurious.com/recipes/food/views/DANIEL-BOULUDS-SHORT-RIBS-BRAISED-IN-RED-WINE-WITH-CELERY-DUO-106671

I'm serious, that recipe paired with some good garlic mashed and a salad? I'd died and gone to heaven.

The house is only about 20 minutes from campus and just a few minutes off the toll road, steaks tomorrow night :)

IMG_0123.JPG

I also make a pretty good Thai Pad Kee Mao (Drunken Noodles):

20140304_203139.jpg but it takes time and a shitton of heat, so I have a stove with (2) 25k burners :)

I'll see if I can find the braised short ribs recipe I used a few months back. Holy crap, best thing I've ever made.

Er, nevermind, found it: http://www.epicurious.com/recipes/food/views/DANIEL-BOULUDS-SHORT-RIBS-BRAISED-IN-RED-WINE-WITH-CELERY-DUO-106671

I'm serious, that recipe paired with some good garlic mashed and a salad? I'd died and gone to heaven.

The house is only about 20 minutes from campus and just a few minutes off the toll road, steaks tomorrow night :)

IMG_0123.JPG

Despite the possibly mutated thumb in the upper right of the first pic, I would still come and stay at your place.... Well done sir well fu(king done...

Lol measuring your ingredients this I have never done so I can't give you recipe's. For some odd reason I was given a gift that smelling is all I need to know if I have added enough of the ingredients. It is actually weird as hell and makes my mom and wife mad as hell. I don't know if there is a name for it but it is something that I have been doing since I was 8 years old. I can't explain it weirds me out sometime.

Lol measuring your ingredients this I have never done so I can't give you recipe's. For some odd reason I was given a gift that smelling is all I need to know if I have added enough of the ingredients. It is actually weird as hell and makes my mom and wife mad as hell. I don't know if there is a name for it but it is something that I have been doing since I was 8 years old. I can't explain it weirds me out sometime.

You have a rare talent, that's for sure, but it's not "lol" to use recommended measurements the first time you make something. It's not a hard and fast rule. Need more spice? Add more spicy stuff. Added too much? Add savory or sweet to cut it back. Sauce seem bland? Add salt - good salt - that's what it's there for. No good dish goes untasted before it is served, but that doesn't mean absolutely measurements aren't a good place to start.

Can you smell how much flour you need to add when you bake? Or how much butter to add to make a perfect roux? Noses are absolutely essential to good cooking, undoubtedly. But sometimes in cooking, relative weights and measures are essential. I'm not talking about a BBQ rub, but more a good pizza dough or pastry. Your nose won't help you make a perfect pizza dough. With all that said, I'm jealous you can do what you can do :)

As for the mutated thumb, lol, I've never noticed that before but it was a bit of a crazy dinner party that night, no clue exactly who or what that ended up being :)

Edited by toddrhodes

You have a rare talent, that's for sure, but it's not "lol" to use recommended measurements the first time you make something. It's not a hard and fast rule. Need more spice? Add more spicy stuff. Added too much? Add savory or sweet to cut it back. Sauce seem bland? Add salt - good salt - that's what it's there for. No good dish goes untasted before it is served, but that doesn't mean absolutely measurements aren't a good place to start.

Can you smell how much flour you need to add when you bake? Or how much butter to add to make a perfect roux? Noses are absolutely essential to good cooking, undoubtedly. But sometimes in cooking, relative weights and measures are essential. I'm not talking about a BBQ rub, but more a good pizza dough or pastry. Your nose won't help you make a perfect pizza dough. With all that said, I'm jealous you can do what you can do :)

As for the mutated thumb, lol, I've never noticed that before but it was a bit of a crazy dinner party that night, no clue exactly who or what that ended up being :)

I am an executive chef and agree completely... the key in any kitchen is consistency, consistency, consistency.... when you have a good nose you need to make recipes for the people that don't... if i took the logic of letting every one of my cooks do whatever they wanted i would be out of a job. On another note food looks great just one thing... never leave food on the edge of the plate when presenting it, when its clean it makes your dish pop and not look messy.

I don't bake sorry.

I am an executive chef and agree completely... the key in any kitchen is consistency, consistency, consistency.... when you have a good nose you need to make recipes for the people that don't... if i took the logic of letting every one of my cooks do whatever they wanted i would be out of a job. On another note food looks great just one thing... never leave food on the edge of the plate when presenting it, when its clean it makes your dish pop and not look messy.

My stuff taste the same all the time. It becomes natural. That's cool that you are a chef.

Thanks for the tip! Rocket's right, it was just a "****, I'm tired and this looks like it's gon' b gud" moment and snapped an iPhone pic. I love to cook but will admit, they aren't always winners :) I will say there is no way I could do it for a living so kudos to you, you have a job that is so much more stressful than I think anyone would imagine!

Thanks for the tip! Rocket's right, it was just a "****, I'm tired and this looks like it's gon' b gud" moment and snapped an iPhone pic. I love to cook but will admit, they aren't always winners :) I will say there is no way I could do it for a living so kudos to you, you have a job that is so much more stressful than I think anyone would imagine!

Wasn't hating at all... food looked really good! Was just trying to give advice to make it look better, am not playing the I am better card etc... nothing can beat a good home cooked meal imo and your dish looks delish! And I appreciate the compliments and the job is stressful but it's like an adrenaline rush, I love the chaos and can't imagine going to work everyday doing anything else.

No worries at all man, I will take any and all criticism/tips whatever :) I did see this recipe last night on Jimmy Kimmel Live from Adam Perry Lang and it looked really tasty:

http://abc.go.com/shows/jimmy-kimmel-live/news/news/082714-george-dickel-whiskey-caramel-garlicky-marinade

I haven't watched the video in the link but it should explain what cut of beef he's using as well.