Head coaches

Suppose you were a college AD in search of a new head coach for your football team. Your fan base demands a guy who has already proven himself successful coaching at the collegiate level. Below is a list of coaches who have lost no more than 9 games in the last two years, with their W-L records over that time. If you had to choose from these guys, who would you take? And, be realistic. Saban ain't happening. If you have an assistant coach somewhere that you would prefer, who? (I apologize in advance if I've left someone off this list)

Alabama. Saban. 24-1.

Arizona State. Graham. 16-7.

Ball State. Lembo. 19-6.

Baylor. Briles. 17-6.

Boise State. Peterson. 18-6.

Central Florida. O'Leary (Yes, that O'Leary!). 20-5.

(Cincinnati. Tuberville. (19-5)) (first year coaching there)

Clemson. Swinney. 21-3.

Florida. Muschamp. 15-9.

Florida State. Fisher. 23-2.

Fresno State. DeRuyter. 19-5.

Georgia. Richt. 19-6.

Louisville. Strong. 21-3.

LSU. Miles. 18-6.

Michigan. Hoke. 15-9.

Michigan State. Dantonio. 17-7.

Missouri. Pinkel. 15-8.

Nebraska. Pelini. 18-9.

Northern Illinois. Carey. 24-2.

Notre Dame. Kelly. 20-4.

Ohio State. Meyer. 23-0.

Oklahoma. Stoops. 19-5.

Oklahoma State. Gundy. 18-6.

(Oregon. Helfrich. (21-3)) (first year coaching there)

San Diego State. Long. 16-8.

Stanford. Shaw. 21-4.

South Carolina. Spurrier. 20-4.

Texas. Brown. 17-7.

Texas A&M. Sumlin. 19-5.

Toledo. Campbell. 16-9.

UCLA. Mora. 17-8.

(USC. Who knows? 16-9)

Utah State. Wells. 18-6.

Who would you pick if you could realistically get him?

Edited by Kelly Gruene
Left Meyer and Pinkel off the list.

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Well, to help the question, you need to specify the school hiring or at least the type of school (i.e. SEC school, BCS school, BCS traditional power, etc) -- just because there is a coaching food-chain, and you rarely see coaches flow against the food chain..i.e, Saban to your point.

In the absence of that, obviously Charlie Strong will be a hot candidate for upper tier BCS positions coming forward.

At ND, you would have put the academic and admission requirements plus that he would have to graduate a very high percentage, that would reduce that number down to single digits.

Also, no Junior college players or red shirts unless they have their degree in hand, that brings the number down to Brian Kelly.

Who else can recruit at a very high level at Notre Dame like Kelly? Urban said that it couldn`t be done.

If Kelly came to ND with a QB that could beat a stacked box or run the option plays or QB keepers, he would not have had those 8-5 seasons.

BTW, Rees is the only reason that teams stack the box against ND. OK didn`t and BYU started in the third quarter and we put up big rushing numbers. You can not run the ball against a stacked box without a running QB.

Well, to help the question, you need to specify the school hiring or at least the type of school (i.e. SEC school, BCS school, BCS traditional power, etc) -- just because there is a coaching food-chain, and you rarely see coaches flow against the food chain..i.e, Saban to your point.

In the absence of that, obviously Charlie Strong will be a hot candidate for upper tier BCS positions coming forward.

You're right. No doubt schools have a budget and differing priorities. Texas, for instance, may actually be able to pull off a Saban type deal. Suppose you are Ohio State. Meyer's heart gets REALLY stressed this year after they lose to scUM and he has to retire. Who's next for you?

Pretty much ready to sell my soul for a National Championship...

I see sooooo much corruption all over the world of college football and ask if us always (or for the most part) playing by the rules is ever going to result in hoisting of hardware...

I'm prepared to ask Mother Mary for forgiveness...

Pretty much ready to sell my soul for a National Championship...

I see sooooo much corruption all over the world of college football and ask if us always (or for the most part) playing by the rules is ever going to result in hoisting of hardware...

I'm prepared to ask Mother Mary for forgiveness...

Another question for anyone: Would you want to win a national title and have all that joy and then have to vacate it 10 years later.

You know what the media would do with a big time ND scandal? oh my.

Another question for anyone: Would you want to win a national title and have all that joy and then have to vacate it 10 years later.

You know what the media would do with a big time ND scandal? oh my.

Ask yourself how many national titles have been vacated in the history of college football...that's right, just one...so I'm willing to risk it ;) The NCAA has smaller balls than Bea Arthur...

Notice that Urban Liar's thugs are already acting out against the Skunbears. Two of them tossed for fighting.

Give me a break, princess.

If Meyer were at ND he wouldn't have any of the issues with discipline he's had at UF...and nowhere else. Utah? Fine. Bowling Green? Fine. Ohio State? Fine.

He also had nothing to do with Aaron Hernandez murdering someone while he was in the NFL.

Swear to God, ND hiring Urban Meyer would be the best thing ND could do. It'd drive out the Mickey Mouse Club, ND chapter because they'd all break their keyboards overusing Urban Liar and Snakeoil Salesmen. Then maybe I'd never, ever have to hear Goldshirt, RKG or Next Man In again in my life.