Is anyone on here sick of sports?

I guess this is a weird thing to ask on a sports forum, but is anyone else here really just sick of sports (including college football and all the ND drama)...?

It's just all so gross for so many reasons. Maybe I get an extra dose of it because I have to cover sports for a living, but I'm just so tired of all the scumbag coaches/players/execs and all the cheating and money and expansion and realignment and all the cliches we hear from everyone about everything. No one's real anymore and it seems like all the fun is gone.

Does anyone else here just want to turn the TV off any maybe never come back to watching it, or is this just me? Maybe part of it is my personal life not being awesome either, but god...I've never cared less about sports than I do now.

I think I'd rather just read a comic book these days.

• Replies 33
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Here's what you do: go play.

Watching sports is only for when you're too tired to play them. Watch too much and play too little and you are bound to get disillusioned. Lebron James is exciting and all, but he can not match the adrenaline rush you get from a front row seat of your own physical endeavor, be it racquetball, basketball, cycling, or running. It's no different that when you were a little kid, except that instead of your mother yelling at you to come home, it's usually someone you can ignore.

There's other benefits too. Here, for example, is my online skating partner Helga.

http://cdn.bleacherreport.net/images_root/slides/photos/000/182/761/JuliaMancuso2displayimage_display_image.jpg?1270961178

I'm with you Colin. I'm sort of tired of the whole thing. I've stopped coming here as much. Don't watch NBA anymore. Gave up baseball. Only thing I watch with regularity is NASCAR.

Too much drama, too much coverage. Pace of play is too slow in all sports now. For someone who used to watch it all, I can't remember the last time I watched a full game other than Notre Dame.

Like 2lakes said, sports are for playing, so I'm making a go of be omit a golf pro, then I can watch my own highlights, that would be worth watching.

I've been like this for about 7 yrs now. First as a college baseball player, then coach, to now fan. College football used to be the one sport I really looked foward to during the year. Now I'm kinda blah. I've gotten to hockey if you can believe that. Seems legit now. But, I'm sure if I stick to watching it ill learn that it is just as tainted as all the others. Sad to have such a pessimistic outlook on sports these days.

The NBA died 15 years ago as far as I'm concerned. Even when the Piston's were playing for Titles, I had no desire to tune in.

I guess I'm just not as cynical as others... My baseball team has the best player in the game on it(Miguel Cabrera) and I know for a fact he isn't juicing, which is equally fantastic. We also have the best starting rotation, which means I have a wonderful summer ahead of me.

Hockey is a great sport, as it is devoid of most of the ego's and garbage that has befallen the NBA. And because it isn't covered by ESPN, it doesn't have the needless hype surrounding teams in major media markets.

I honestly think a lot of the burnout has to do with the coverage and where you get it. I watch more specialized networks now than I used to. Lots of MLB Network, NHL Network, been watching NBCSports. If you watch ESPN it's all sensationalized, it becomes less about the SPORT and more about the entertainment.

The NBA died 15 years ago as far as I'm concerned. Even when the Piston's were playing for Titles, I had no desire to tune in.

Tell that to Tim Duncan. He managed one hell of a career in the "dead" NBA.

I think this year's playoffs have been sensational, even with the marquee injuries.

I guess I'm just not as cynical as others... My baseball team has the best player in the game on it(Miguel Cabrera) and I know for a fact he isn't juicing, which is equally fantastic.

You really know that, and do you really care if you truly are right? Just wondering...

If you're not a big baseball fan, this is a tough time of the year unless there are Olympics to look forward to.

Some story lines for this summer...will Tiger win a major? Repeat for Heat or #5 for Pop? Another triple crown for Miguel?

Here's what you do: go play.

Watching sports is only for when you're too tired to play them. Watch too much and play too little and you are bound to get disillusioned. Lebron James is exciting and all, but he can not match the adrenaline rush you get from a front row seat of your own physical endeavor, be it racquetball, basketball, cycling, or running. It's no different that when you were a little kid, except that instead of your mother yelling at you to come home, it's usually someone you can ignore.

There's other benefits too. Here, for example, is my online skating partner Helga.

http://cdn.bleacherreport.net/images_root/slides/photos/000/182/761/JuliaMancuso2displayimage_display_image.jpg?1270961178

I mean, I'm no couch potato. I lift weights, practice yoga and run daily — I'm just sick of all the drama and constant coverage of sports. There's no magic for me anymore and it seems like more and more, every athlete of any note is a scumbag only matched by their coaches and owners.

I used to really hold up college sports as a shining example of what sports can be, but now? That's even more laughable than pro sports. It's all about the $$$ and how fast and how much you can grab.

I cover athletics at the high school level, and it's not like it's any better there. The kids are all full of themselves and the only people worse are their delusional parents who think it's my fault their 5-foot-8 kid didn't get a full ride to play for Ohio State or Alabama.

I just hate all of it. The only reason I'm still here on DD is because I genuinely like you guys and think you're mostly all good people.

Tell that to Tim Duncan. He managed one hell of a career in the "dead" NBA.

I think this year's playoffs have been sensational, even with the marquee injuries.

You really know that, and do you really care if you truly are right? Just wondering...

If you're not a big baseball fan, this is a tough time of the year unless there are Olympics to look forward to.

Some story lines for this summer...will Tiger win a major? Repeat for Heat or #5 for Pop? Another triple crown for Miguel?

The Heat are completely unappealing, they are everything I hate about the NBA. This years playoffs are the same as every other years NBA playoffs, only with more injuries to give the appearance that everything hasn't gone chalk.

Testing is at the point where, if you juice, you're gonna get busted. Whether or not you get suspended is another matter...(Brian Braun juiced and got away with it. But he's wearing the scarlet letter)

The Heat are completely unappealing, they are everything I hate about the NBA.

Agree. I cannot stand the Heat. I am rooting for teams I never dreamed of rooting for just to watch this team fall.

This years playoffs are the same as every other years NBA playoffs, only with more injuries to give the appearance that everything hasn't gone chalk.

Disagree, much more parity than last few years. Love the physical play.

Testing is at the point where, if you juice, you're gonna get busted. Whether or not you get suspended is another matter...(Brian Braun juiced and got away with it. But he's wearing the scarlet letter)

There are no scarlet letters in pro sports and there isn't a single athlete that would surprise me if it came out they were juicing. That definitely includes Miguel...and I would also extend that to Verlander. Maybe it's just a matter of time....

Agree. I cannot stand the Heat. I am rooting for teams I never dreamed of rooting for just to watch this team fall.

Disagree, much more parity than last few years. Love the physical play.

There are no scarlet letters in pro sports and there isn't a single athlete that would surprise me if it came out they were juicing. That definitely includes Miguel...and I would also extend that to Verlander. Maybe it's just a matter of time....

If the, then, richest player in baseball couldn't hide the fact he juiced, A-Rod, what makes you think Miggy or Justin could? If the NL MVP couldn't, why would the AL MVP be able to hide it? If a Melky Cabrera couldn't hide the fact he juiced, why can a Miguel Cabrera?

MLB has the strictest testing in american sports

Edited by piratey

I don't watch ESPN. It just riles me up - I feel like they are trying to mainipulate me. I just stick to game time. Very little Sports Illustrated too. I try and filter out as much hype as possible. Although when my teams are being hyped - I do love it so.

If the, then, richest player in baseball couldn't hide the fact he juiced, A-Rod, what makes you think Miggy or Justin could? If the NL MVP couldn't, why would the AL MVP be able to hide it? If a Melky Cabrera couldn't hide the fact he juiced, why can a Miguel Cabrera?

I can't answer those questions, I can just look at recent history.

Strictest testing? Cycling and Lance used that argument.

Why would Merky and Arod get caught (same lab?) and not Miguel or whoever? Not sure...is the jury still out? Is there more info to come in?

Even during the "steroid" era, the triple crown stood for years and years...and I'm not the self labeled "cynic" but these #s tend to stand out.

I just assume all athletes (including ND's ones) these days are scumbag cheaters. The ones who haven't been outed yet are just the ones who haven't been caught yet.

Anyone raising their kid to look to athletes as role models are fools, in my eyes.

I would argue that once you get beyond a certain level of wealthy, it becomes less about how much you make and more about who you know, who you trust, and what you can access- which is not necessarily dependent on money.

The juicers will always be one step ahead of the testers because: 1) There is more money in developing new forms of performance enhancers than in finding and catching them, and 2) Testing for a particular performance enhancer is always reactionary to it's development.

Piratey, your team has perhaps the best hitter in baseball, but the best player Plays for that other team in LA.

Naw. Mike Trout is propped up by goofy statistics and plays with absolutely no pressure. Miggy has gotten the fewest number of "quality" pitches to hit over a two year period since Barry Bonds was still juicing it up in San Fran. Mike Trout is was hyped up to serve an agenda. White. English speaking. Young. ESPN and marketing can get behind. Mike Trout is essentially baseball's Sydney Crosby or Lebron James. They try to crown them as the best before they do anything to warrant it.

Baseball is hitting or it is pitching. Miguel will go down in history as the greatest right handed batter of all time. Trout is going to footnote at best.

Edited by piratey

Naw. Mike Trout is propped up by goofy statistics and plays with absolutely no pressure. Miggy has gotten the fewest number of "quality" pitches to hit over a two year period since Barry Bonds was still juicing it up in San Fran. Mike Trout is was hyped up to serve an agenda. White. English speaking. Young. ESPN and marketing can get behind. Mike Trout is essentially baseball's Sydney Crosby or Lebron James. They try to crown them as the best before they do anything to warrant it.

Baseball is hitting or it is pitching. Miguel will go down in history as the greatest right handed batter of all time. Trout is going to footnote at best.

Come on, even without "goofy" stats, Trout was top 10 in all th triple crown stats while not playing until May. I don't see the agenda, by any measure he had one of the 3 best rookie seasons ever, probably the best. That isn't hype.

Plus he will steal you a base and play gold glove caliber defense, something Miggy can do neither of.

Pure hitter? Sure, I'll take Cabrera. Overall player? Give me the guy who can do it all.

And Cabrera is a great hitter, but he still has a bit to do before he gets past Hank Aaron as best RH hitter ever. Plus I'd put Mays, Pujols, Jimmie Foxx and Joe Dimaggio ahead of him as well at this point. Even a guy like Hank Greenberg who lost his prime to the war is probably above Miggy at this point.

If he keeps this up, he'll get into the conversation, but those guys are all HOF'ers with entire careers to judge. Cabrera needs 6-7 more really good years to join that group.

Edited by corysold

Come on, even without "goofy" stats, Trout was top 10 in all th triple crown stats while not playing until May. I don't see the agenda, by any measure he had one of the 3 best rookie seasons ever, probably the best. That isn't hype.

Plus he will steal you a base and play gold glove caliber defense, something Miggy can do neither of.

Pure hitter? Sure, I'll take Cabrera. Overall player? Give me the guy who can do it all.

And Cabrera is a great hitter, but he still has a bit to do before he gets passed Hank Aaron as best RH hitter ever. Plus I'd put Mays, Pujols, Jimmie Foxx and Joe Dimaggio ahead of him as well at this point. Even a guy like Hank Greenberg who lost his prime to the war is probably above Miggy at this point.

If he keeps this up, he'll get into the conversation, but those guys are all HOF'ers with entire careers to judge. Cabrera needs 6-7 more really good years to join that group.

In 11 seasons, Miggy has the following statline... .320ba, 335HR, 1180RBI...he's never had less than 103RBI in a full season. At a month over 30, he's going to crush Foxx and Mayes numbers and is the only player who can conceivably pass Hank Aaron's 2297RBI total.

Trout's season was propped up entirely by the fashionable WAR. And Gold Glove "Caliber"? Well for one thing, he didn't win it. He hardly in the top 5 in ANY statistical measurement of fielding. He made a couple of diving catches and everyone forgets he was a middle of the pack CF according to fielding %. Miggy was tops in putouts, 3rd in fielding %, 5th in range, and did I mention it was his first season at 3rd base in 4 years?

And stealing bases? Really? Does that enter into the equation when discussing whether Ted Williams is the best positional player in baseball history?(Which he is)

Miguel Cabrera is looking to take a SECOND straight triple crowd and a THIRD straight batting title(He finished 2nd in 2010, FYI), either of which is a feat no man in history has ever accomplished. Mike Trout's team is floundering 8.5 games out of first and he's not coming close to replicating his rookie campaign.

http://cdn.fangraphs.com/blogs/wp-content/uploads/2013/05/miggy_composite.gif

Edited by piratey

In 11 seasons, Miggy has the following statline... .320ba, 335HR, 1180RBI...he's never had less than 103RBI in a full season. At a month over 30, he's going to crush Foxx and Mayes numbers and is the only player who can conceivably pass Hank Aaron's 2297RBI total.

Trout's season was propped up entirely by the fashionable WAR. And Gold Glove "Caliber"? Well for one thing, he didn't win it. He hardly in the top 5 in ANY statistical measurement of fielding. He made a couple of diving catches and everyone forgets he was a middle of the pack CF according to fielding %. Miggy was tops in putouts, 3rd in fielding %, 5th in range, and did I mention it was his first season at 3rd base in 4 years?

And stealing bases? Really? Does that enter into the equation when discussing whether Ted Williams is the best positional player in baseball history?(Which he is)

Miguel Cabrera is looking to take a SECOND straight triple crowd and a THIRD straight batting title(He finished 2nd in 2010, FYI), either of which is a feat no man in history has ever accomplished. Mike Trout's team is floundering 8.5 games out of first and he's not coming close to replicating his rookie campaign.

Well, I didn't realize that team results mattered in discussing best hitter, but anyway.

Besides, Trout is on pace at this point to top his numbers in every category from last year except batting average. Even taking into account he missed 20 games or so at the start of last year, he is still ahead of pace in most numbers. So he started a bit slow this year, but his is still having a pretty great season.

Now, if you want to talk about best hitters by age 30, Pujols blows Cabrera away, and it really isn't even close. At age 30, Pujols had:

73 more HR than Miggy.

50 more RBI.

.331 vs. .320 BA

30 more doubles

Slugging % more than .6 higher.

Or his totals after 11 years are: .328 445 HR 1329 RBI .617 SLG , dramatically higher than your boy.

And that is all in one less season at that age. So we have to expect Miggy to have a similar slow down in production as Pujols, which most guys do as they get older, especially guys of Miggy's body type, unless he is getting "help".

So in conclusion, Cabrera, great hitter, but won't be the best at age 30, or the best at career's end.

Edited by corysold