Useless Facts,,,just for fun, post 'em

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Wow, these are fun; how did I miss these before? Just what I need is another time distraction like Pirate's Positively Perfect thread...

Here's my contribution...

Mussolini, Hitler, and Stalin (twice) were all nominated for the Nobel Peace Prize. The USA has 21 individual Laureates, followed by France (9) and England (7.)

The total weight / biomass of ants in the world is roughly equal to that of humans.

India has more cellphones than toilets.

Not a single engineer made it off the Titanic. They all stayed and kept power on so others could escape

The average NFL game consists of only 10 minutes and 43 seconds of game action. Commercials: 60 minutes of 3 hours. During live action, most of it is players huddling and replays.

The 1896 Missouri football team went AWOL. Known as the "lost team", the University of Texas convinced them to go on an exhibition tour in Mexico. They voted unaminously to do it, and didn't alert the university. They returned a month later after 6000 miles of travel.

Warning: Rick Reilly article.... A high school football coach convinced half of his fans to root for the other team. They were from a maximum security prison and had no fans of their own.

After the success of the Hangover, Zach Galifinakis was approached by Nike to do some advertising. During the conference call, he broke the ice by saying, "So, do you guys still have 7-year-olds making your stuff?"

In 1861, a slave took over on a confederate ship and delivered it to the Union. He later was given the ship to command during the Civil War. After the war he bought the house he was a slave in and became a US congressman.

Mr. Rogers received a letter in the mail from a blind girl expressing her concern about whether or not he feeds his fish every day. After reading it, he made a point to narrate that he was feeding his fish every time. Also, he gave this stirring speech [ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yXEuEUQIP3Q]Mister Rogers defending PBS to the US Senate[/ame] to Congress to keep funding for public television. Seriously, watch that video.

Mt. Everest was once surveyed at 29,000 feet on the dot. They lied and added 2 feet (making it 29,002) because they didn't think anyone would believe that.

Edited by ND3

For those with small children (so not entirely useless), Dolly Parton feels that it's so important that kids have books to read that she started a foundation that will mail an age-appropriate book monthly from birth until the age of 5.

http://i.imgur.com/S3TQ78v.jpg

HEY! As an engineer, this stuff is anything but useless.

Seriously though, relativity is weird. So are quantum mechanics and thermodynamics. Really, anything past Physics II gets really strange. Don't even get me started on theorectical physics or astrophysics.