Useless Facts,,,just for fun, post 'em

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I couldn't think of any off hand so I googled it. There are actually sites that have lists.

Here is one that caught my eye. The three most well known brands on earth are in order: (1) Marlboro; (2) Coca Cola; and (3) Budweiser.

I couldn't think of any off hand so I googled it. There are actually sites that have lists.

Here is one that caught my eye. The three most well known brands on earth are in order: (1) Marlboro; (2) Coca Cola; and (3) Budweiser.

Wow! No wonder America is addicted to stuff! lol

I did notice that. Nicotene, caffeine plus sugar, and alcohol.

Here is a "fact" I heard a few years ago. Even though Coke has long been the most visible world wide brand, you supposedly will rarely find it in the Middle East because coke set up a bottling plant in Isreal. The Muslim countries just drink Pepsi.

A man named James Harrison's blood contains a rare antigen that cures Rhesus Disease. He has donated blood over 1,000 times and saved an estimated 2 million lives.

Volvo invented the 3-point safety belt and gave a free license to all other manufacturers to produce it.

The Houston Airport once was receiving many complaints about baggage waiting time. They simply moved baggage claim further away so the walk was longer than the wait.

Bill Gates has donated over $36 billion dollars in charity in his lifetime, which is over half of his current net worth.

A man named James Harrison's blood contains a rare antigen that cures Rhesus Disease. He has donated blood over 1,000 times and saved an estimated 2 million lives.

Volvo invented the 3-point safety belt and gave a free license to all other manufacturers to produce it.

The Houston Airport once was receiving many complaints about baggage waiting time. They simply moved baggage claim further away so the walk was longer than the wait.

Bill Gates has donated over $36 billion dollars in charity in his lifetime, which is over half of his current net worth.

That's pretty crazy about Gates' donation. I had no idea he was that generous. Isn't he the guy that wouldn't buy his kid a new car or bought them a cheapo? Either way, interesting info ND3.

That's pretty crazy about Gates' donation. I had no idea he was that generous. Isn't he the guy that wouldn't buy his kid a new car or bought them a cheapo? Either way, interesting info ND3.

Not sure about that anecdote, but I do know that he only (heh, "only") plans to leave $10 million to each of his kids and the rest will go to the Bill & Melinda Gates Foundation when they pass.

He also doesn't just take his money and throw it at charities. If I'm remembering this correctly (I'll try to find a link later), he personally convinced the 10 biggest drug companies to share research on the elimination of tropical diseases. And the work he's done to eliminate malaria has been incredible.

I have nothing but the utmost respect for that man.

EDIT: Just remembered this picture exists...

h06D03478

Edited by ND3

Upper and lower case letters are named 'upper'

and 'lower' because in the time when all original

print had to be set in individual letters, the upper

case' letters were stored in the case on top of the

case that stored the smaller, 'lower case' letters.

Not sure about that anecdote, but I do know that he only (heh, "only") plans to leave $10 million to each of his kids and the rest will go to the Bill & Melinda Gates Foundation when they pass.

He also doesn't just take his money and throw it at charities. If I'm remembering this correctly (I'll try to find a link later), he personally convinced the 10 biggest drug companies to share research on the elimination of tropical diseases. And the work he's done to eliminate malaria has been incredible.

I have nothing but the utmost respect for that man.

EDIT: Just remembered this picture exists...

h06D03478

He's unbelievably brilliant no doubt. That is really cool how he has significant input in his charity donations. Guess with the amount of coin he's throwing at it, an input is pretty predictable. But don't think the money has as much to do with it as the intent. Good stuff.