Explosion in Texas

• Replies 29
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Spraying the hydrous with water sounds like it wasn't the best approach. As a kid, I remember drenching rain-soaked leaves with gasoline, hoping to dry them out & burn them to smithereens so I didn't have to gather them, only to find out that I had unknowingly created bomb-like explosions in each pile. Wonder if any of that 'logic' applies here??

I just had a horrible thought. April 19th is the 10 year anniversary of the Branch Davidian siege in Waco Texas.

Yeah April is hitlers birthday, the columbine shootings, and the OKC bombing too I think. The nut jobs are out this time of the year

....I thought the fire was caused by the explosion....,,needless to say that was a suprise....some terrible things are happening lately

I am hoping that this was the inevitable accident that just happens sometimes. Fingers crossed because I am tired of all this violence.

I did search for the article I referred to in the Boston thread though that suggests societies world wide are less violent than times past. That is encouraging because in general, the trajectory is going in the right direction I think. The biggest challenge might just be the easy access of extremists to tools that inflict a lot of damage.

Here is one such article that suggests violence is going down overall. http://online.wsj.com/article/SB10001424053111904106704576583203589408180.html

I am hoping that this was the inevitable accident that just happens sometimes. Fingers crossed because I am tired of all this violence.

I did search for the article I referred to in the Boston thread though that suggests societies world wide are less violent than times past. That is encouraging because in general, the trajectory is going in the right direction I think. The biggest challenge might just be the easy access of extremists to tools that inflict a lot of damage.

Here is one such article that suggests violence is going down overall. http://online.wsj.com/article/SB10001424053111904106704576583203589408180.html

Its true, in many places violent crime has gone down overall. However 24/7 media coverage of every single thing is off the charts.

Its true, in many places violent crime has gone down overall. However 24/7 media coverage of every single thing is off the charts.

I am as guilty as anyone for that phenomenon. I can't help but slow down and look at the car accident. I know there are some news sites out there that focus on good news but the public does not seem to have embraced them to the point that major networks try to emulate them.

Not to mention the lack of wars...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_wars_1800%E2%80%931899

Just look at the 1800's for example. Capitalism has essentially ended wars. No two capitalist nations have ever been at war.

http://vincentgeloso.files.wordpress.com/2011/09/peace2.png

There will always be people with a disposition to violence, as morbid as it sounds, wars were an outlet for that violence. ::shurg:: You can't have your pie and eat it too I suppose.

WWi and WWII were both post industrial revolution wars. In my mind, those were Nations with capitalist centered economies warring with each other.

Still, one of the alleged benefits of free trade is that countries will be better off economically through cooperation than through armed conflict. I think it does work.

Religion, nationalism or tribalism, and form of government (eg democracy vs a dictatorship) seem like the big culprits right now that trigger wars. Economic disparity is a factor as well I suspect. I am sure there are other reasons as well.

The media is a joke anymore, its all about shock and awe. Reporting a story first even if its not true is more important to them.

The knee-jerk political solution to this will be to ban all fertilizer!!!

It's coming just wait!!

Um...what? Try buying large quantities of Ammonium nitrate and see how long it take before the ATF pays you a little visit with several SWAT teams.

After the Oklahoma City bombing, there was a lot of focus, legislation, and funding that went into tracking and controlling explosives. If anything, you are hurting your anti-gun control argument with this comparison.

Edited by KellyisNasty

Um...what? Try buying large quantities of Ammonium nitrate and see how long it take before the ATF pays you a little visit with several SWAT teams.

After the Oklahoma City bombing, there was a lot of focus, legislation, and funding that went into tracking and controlling explosives. If anything, you are hurting your anti-gun control argument with this comparison.

Relax much?? It was a joke.

When will the US wake up and do something about the true root cause, which is mental health, instead of trying to regulate all the tools and infringe on American's rights?