Next Pope?

Donjuan

• Replies 30
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Is this another "Coach Kelly is leaving" rumor thread? Get over it DonJuan ;)

Interesting stuff though. I haven't read too much on it yet, but I believe this is the first time a pope has resigned since sometime around 1200? It's also pretty significant day in a historic way for the church...

Any American candidates?

Agree with corysold. Last time an African was being considered and ended being one of the serious candidates. He is still serving as an influential cardinal. It would be an interesting choice if he is elected as he is a convert and would be the first Pope from Africa.

If I was a bettin' man, I'd put serious money on Peter Turkson. He's young and charismatic. I think his energy would definitely motivate the faithful.

^^^^This.

Paddy Power already has odds for the new pope.

Cardinal Peter Turkson 9/4 fav.

Cardinal Keith O'Brien 40/1.

Father Dougal Maguire 1000/1

Apparently cardinal Dolan and cardinal DiNardi of the United States could be candidates. If the new pope takes the name of Peter he is supposed to be the last pope. St. Malachi predicted every pope about 1,000 years ago and told something of each one. He has been spot on up to this point.

And this is what I was referring to when I said "Peter the Roman"... The last Pope during the endtimes is supposedly this very next Pope according to St. Malachi's writings. "Petrus Romanus"...and again, crap. This guy's been spot on.

The Prophecy of the Popes, attributed to Saint Malachy, is a list of 112 short phrases in Latin. They purport to describe each of the Roman Catholic popes (along with a few anti-popes), beginning with Pope Celestine II (elected in 1143) and concluding with current pope Benedict XVI's successor, a pope described in the prophecy as "Peter the Roman", whose pontificate will end in the destruction of the city of Rome. --- Wiki

Disconcerting to say the least.

The Prophecy of the Popes, attributed to Saint Malachy, is a list of 112 short phrases in Latin. They purport to describe each of the Roman Catholic popes (along with a few anti-popes), beginning with Pope Celestine II (elected in 1143) and concluding with current pope Benedict XVI's successor, a pope described in the prophecy as "Peter the Roman", whose pontificate will end in the destruction of the city of Rome. --- Wiki

Disconcerting to say the least.

A tad worrisome.

Wait. So what you are saying is some guy 1,000 years ago predicted all of the popes. He's been mostly spot on to this point, depending on interpretation.

His last pope predicted will be next. The name predicted is Peter.

The current favorite among many is a man named Peter.

Good gosh, I better get to confession.

St Malachy and his papal predictions --fortelling of future events---end of days stuff--

I'm sorry but i find this somewhat disturbing--i thought most all the nostradamus stuff and the end of days chatter was the purview of Born again evangelicals---not the more rational elements of catholicism.

Please tell me this is just a little fun exercise and is not really taken seriously.

On the pope---i have NEVER been a fan of this pope for so many reasons----- hopefully he is resigning for the reasons he says and not because he is about to be emersed in scandal. i will say his departure does not bother me one iota.

I hope we get to a more progressive pope---young and preferably italian---so many of the italian candidates have been passed by because they are for the most part, much more liberal.

Reason can coexist with Faith IMO. But its often challenging.

aloha's

St Malachy and his papal predictions --fortelling of future events---end of days stuff--

I'm sorry but i find this somewhat disturbing--i thought most all the nostradamus stuff and the end of days chatter was the purview of Born again evangelicals---not the more rational elements of catholicism.

Please tell me this is just a little fun exercise and is not really taken seriously.

On the pope---i have NEVER been a fan of this pope for so many reasons----- hopefully he is resigning for the reasons he says and not because he is about to be emersed in scandal. i will say his departure does not bother me one iota.

I hope we get to a more progressive pope---young and preferably italian---so many of the italian candidates have been passed by because they are for the most part, much more liberal.

Reason can coexist with Faith IMO. But its often challenging.

aloha's

Peter Turkson is the way to go. African Born. American educated. Young(64). He might be a little more conservative than I think you're hoping for, but if you're looking in that direction...try the Methodist Church. I like his stance on contraception in Africa, slyly acknowledging condoms but pointing out their poor quality in Africa. I don't want a a liberal pope, a liberal pope would be disastrous. I want a pragmatic pope.

No more European Pope's please...They don't represent the religion, for it has left Europe...I want an African/North/South American pope.

Peter Turkson is the way to go. African Born. American educated. Young(64). He might be a little more conservative than I think you're hoping for, but if you're looking in that direction...try the Methodist Church. I like his stance on contraception in Africa, slyly acknowledging condoms but pointing out their poor quality in Africa. I don't want a a liberal pope, a liberal pope would be disastrous. I want a pragmatic pope.

No more European Pope's please...They don't represent the religion, for it has left Europe...I want an African/North/South American pope.

Was he the one that was mentioned when Pope John Paul passed away