Next Pope?

Donjuan

• Replies 30
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I have to be a methodist now piratey---:grin:---i don't know, jesus seemed to be a pretty liberal fella--pacifist,anti-authoritarian,uber-tolerant, the classic wealth redistributor, pro-universal helath, anti-materialsim--:grin:---indeed perhaps the only rare expression of anger was at the ( money changers) capitalists putting wealth & power above all else.

Now if he had set up the loaves and the fishes as simply an "equal opportunity" to get some---everyone starts at the olive grove & races to the hilltop and to the victor belongs the spoils, the meek & the weak can simply eat their dust---then maybe i would expect a more conservative bent from catholicism, but alas jesus was way off in left field, waay off--:grin:--I think expecting more liberalism from the representive of jesus in the church should not force me out among the heretics of the reformation--:grin:

aloha's

Edited by hawaiiirish

I have to be a methodist now piratey---:grin:---i don't know,jesus seemed to be a pretty liberal fella--pacifist,anti-authoritarian,uber-tolerant,the classic wealth redistributor,pro-universal helath,anti-materialsim--:grin:---indeed perhaps the only rare expression of anger was at the(money changers)capitalists putting wealth&power above all else.

Now if he had set up the loaves and the fishes as simply an"equal opportunity"to get some---everyone starts at the olive grove&races to the hilltop and to the victor belongs the spoils,the meek&the weak can simply eat their dust---then maybe i would expect a more conservative bent from catholicism,but alas jesus was way off in left field,waay off--:grin:--I think expecting more liberalism from the representive of jesus in the church should not force me out among the heretics of the reformation--:grin:aloha's

Lmao! I know you're joking here. I'm Thinking you are a fellow member of the Knights of Columbus

Peter Turkson is the way to go. African Born. American educated. Young(64). He might be a little more conservative than I think you're hoping for, but if you're looking in that direction...try the Methodist Church. I like his stance on contraception in Africa, slyly acknowledging condoms but pointing out their poor quality in Africa. I don't want a a liberal pope, a liberal pope would be disastrous. I want a pragmatic pope.

No more European Pope's please...They don't represent the religion, for it has left Europe...I want an African/North/South American pope.

I was thinking unitarian "church"...

St Malachy and his papal predictions --fortelling of future events---end of days stuff--

I'm sorry but i find this somewhat disturbing--i thought most all the nostradamus stuff and the end of days chatter was the purview of Born again evangelicals---not the more rational elements of catholicism.

Please tell me this is just a little fun exercise and is not really taken seriously.

On the pope---i have NEVER been a fan of this pope for so many reasons----- hopefully he is resigning for the reasons he says and not because he is about to be emersed in scandal. i will say his departure does not bother me one iota.

I hope we get to a more progressive pope---young and preferably italian---so many of the italian candidates have been passed by because they are for the most part, much more liberal.

Reason can coexist with Faith IMO. But its often challenging.

aloha's

Hawaii how can you say Benedict excludes reason? Have you ever read any of his work? It's incredibly philosophical and theological.

I meant that in a more generic sense coaster--my lack of enthusiasm for this pope is not rooted in intellectual ground , he's always been simply too much of a power player IMO , i found his whole selection lacking , and i have several other problems with him that are more of a personal nature then philosophical , but lets not speak ill of the soon to be resigned.

Anyhow its on to the college of cardinals, a charming exercise in nonpolitical goings on--:-)

aloha's

Edited by hawaiiirish

Benedict's been pretty good in my opinion. Took on the sex abuse scandal as soon as he was elected unlike many before him who often passively-aggressively allowed the decisions to roll down hill so as not to divide followers.

Benedict was hand picked by John Paul to keep the Church true to its roots. I thought he did quite well and being 85 years old he may well be making the right choice.