Gun Control....

assume they needed banned? You yourself said your not a gun guy, why do you or others need to ban something that you do not understand? I showed you the stats rifles and the evil assault rifles accounted for less than 3% of the murders in the US. Handguns accounted for somewhere around 6000 murders almost 50%. Rifles and assault rifles were around 360. If someone wanted to ban the most deadly would it not be handguns?

I use a "assault style weapon" to hunt and also for protection. I have not violated any laws and millions of others that own these style weapons have not either. So why does Feinstein want them gone i have no idea.

Please do not assume that i am upset with you or take this the wrong way. I understand that you are more left and i enjoy understanding or trying to understand what you may think on the issue of gun control.

it was an honest question.

Going to surprise you here, I'm also not a hunter:) Doesn't tipping the scales in your favor take some challenge away? I say that having some friends who are bow hunters. That is why they bow hunt, it's more challenging.

I personally don't care about your guns but I care about my kids. My 5 year old starts school in the fall and Sandy Hook was scary on that level. When gun control is brought up, as a gun owner that becomes your issue. Perhaps the issue is more the irresponsible gun owner. Maybe they're more at fault for having this discussion than any liberal. If I were you, as a reasonable gun owner...I'd probably be pissed too. So I get that.

Strangely enough I lived in Boulder and used to go to movies in Aurora where that shooting was.

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

have a background check when you purchase a handgun. It is not the same a a class 3 or full auto. Those take up to one year sometimes to complete. The system in place is called NICS.

Gotcha. I didnt know that.

I guess I just dont understand what the objection is to background checks for all firearms.

it was an honest question.

Going to surprise you here, I'm also not a hunter:) Doesn't tipping the scales in your favor take some challenge away? I say that having some friends who are bow hunters. That is why they bow hunt, it's more challenging.

I personally don't care about your guns but I care about my kids. My 5 year old starts school in the fall and Sandy Hook was scary on that level. When gun control is brought up, as a gun owner that becomes your issue. Perhaps the issue is more the irresponsible gun owner. Maybe they're more at fault for having this discussion than any liberal. If I were you, as a reasonable gun owner...I'd probably be pissed too. So I get that.

Strangely enough I lived in Boulder and used to go to movies in Aurora where that shooting was.

I actually prefer bow hunting as well, but i dont discriminate on what weapon im allowed to use during each season. Its hard enough to get a deer with a gun let alone a bow. I have two children as well and im scared to death to leave them at daycare/school, but we cant let one or two lunatics make us live in fear. To be honest im most pissed at criminals for tarnishing the image of gun owners. The guns that the Sandy Hook shooter used were not his and actually his mothers from what ive read. If she knew that her son was a wack job those guns should not have been available to him at all. We will never know obviously becasuse he killed her as well.

Gotcha. I didnt know that.

I guess I just dont understand what the objection is to background checks for all firearms.

Anytime you buy a firearm in my state and almost every other state their is a background check on the federal level, if it is purchased from a dealer or say bass pro, gander, cabellas. a lot of states dont currently require a background check if a private citizen sells to another private citizen. This is what people call the "gun show loophole". People also think that if your at a gun show you dont get a BC, but you do if you buy from a dealer that has a booth setup.

Im not sure that universal BCs would help that much at this point, becasue of how long private sales have been going on without them. If i sold someone a gun five years ago and they used it in a crime after a law like universal BCs was put inot place, how can i prove that i didnt sell them that gun before or after the law is in place.

Anytime you buy a firearm in my state and almost every other state their is a background check on the federal level, if it is purchased from a dealer or say bass pro, gander, cabellas. a lot of states dont currently require a background check if a private citizen sells to another private citizen. This is what people call the "gun show loophole". People also think that if your at a gun show you dont get a BC, but you do if you buy from a dealer that has a booth setup.

Im not sure that universal BCs would help that much at this point, becasue of how long private sales have been going on without them. If i sold someone a gun five years ago and they used it in a crime after a law like universal BCs was put inot place, how can i prove that i didnt sell them that gun before or after the law is in place.

I agree that it wouldnt make much of an immediate impact but it could years down the road. To me it just seems like common sense to to BC on the sales because it doesnt seem like it would take much effortt but could make it harder for some people to get a gun who shouldnt have it.

The guns that the Sandy Hook shooter used were not his and actually his mothers from what ive read. If she knew that her son was a wack job those guns should not have been available to him at all. We will never know obviously becasuse he killed her as well.

From what I read in a recent article, the guns were secured and he killed his mother to gain access to those guns. I do not have a link to the article but it sounds like she tried to stop him and he killed her for it. She was in fact a gun enthusiast and was adamant about keeping them locked up. It is just too bad that she couldn't stop him before he got control of those guns.

Before these dirty ass politicians f with our weopons, they need to make a law that says each state must require persons wishing to conceal carry legally to apply for a permit and extensive background check.

I'm PRO gun, but it's flippin ridiculous that we have open carry states.

Edited by SpeedsterX

So yesterday during surgery at work, we happened to glance out our window and see a white car come to an abrubpt stop, a guy get out and point a gun at a car(who had happened to be following him) and fire off a round. Later we found out it was the guy who killed those two attorneys(in AZ) and the building it happened to be at was right next to ours! That is not gun control. That's a mental issue. The problem I see in our wonderful country is Americans have become a bunch of PUS@@#$! Nobody takes a ass whooping anymore. Nobody can handle their own shit. Nobody can handle the stress of living. Now, everybody thinks they are Matt Dillon of the 80's, and the first sign of trouble they pull a gun. Their should be yearly mental checks on ownerships of guns. Higher penalties if caught with a gun without a permit. It could be life, I don't care. Ban assault rifles. I believe we shouldn't own weapons that the Army uses for it's own purposes. I can't own a armed tank or a fully armed F-16 fighter jet. What's the difference with owning an assault rifle. You going to unload an Ak on a elk? Piratey's, right. It's our culture that has the problem and we need to start thinking logically about what is needed to turn this gun problem around.

Before these dirty ass politicians fuck with our weopons, they need to make a law that says each state must require persons wishing to conceal carry legally to apply for a permit and extensive background check.

I'm PRO gun, but it's flippin ridiculous that we have open carry states.

Sorry, for posting twice, but after the AZ shooting, I went to Wal-mart and I see a guy with a glock holstered out in the open. Not shitting you, I ended up going to Carl Jr's later that night and I see TWO guys with holstered guns out in the open. I have no idea what training these clowns have. I will say, I am ok with people owning guns, as long as training and checks are done yearly!

Lots of holes in that blanket. I don't think the real bad guys are adverse to shopping at Bass Pro.

Who are the "real bad guys"?

I don't suspect that the person who buys the registered firearm from a reputable dealership is as much a threat as the guy who buys it (Maybe stolen from the guy who bought it legitimately) from Dumpster Dan down on the corner who sleeps in the El Camino with no wheels.

So yesterday during surgery at work, we happened to glance out our window and see a white car come to an abrubpt stop, a guy get out and point a gun at a car(who had happened to be following him) and fire off a round. Later we found out it was the guy who killed those two attorneys(in AZ) and the building it happened to be at was right next to ours! That is not gun control. That's a mental issue. The problem I see in our wonderful country is Americans have become a bunch of PUS@@#$! Nobody takes a ass whooping anymore. Nobody can handle their own shit. Nobody can handle the stress of living. Now, everybody thinks they are Matt Dillon of the 80's, and the first sign of trouble they pull a gun. Their should be yearly mental checks on ownerships of guns. Higher penalties if caught with a gun without a permit. It could be life, I don't care. Ban assault rifles. I believe we shouldn't own weapons that the Army uses for it's own purposes. I can't own a armed tank or a fully armed F-16 fighter jet. What's the difference with owning an assault rifle. You going to unload an Ak on a elk? Piratey's, right. It's our culture that has the problem and we need to start thinking logically about what is needed to turn this gun problem around.

1. How in the world could our broke country afford that, even considering its totoally unconstitutional.

2.Your comparing owning a tank and F16 to owning small arms? Seriously? Read the second Ammendment. Also carrying a firearm without the proper license is a felony in most states.

3.Piratey couldnt be further from the drunken rant stance you posted.

4. You state that it is a culture problem then go and say its a gun problem????

I seriously hope you started drinking at lunch today, because that was almost as bad as my post about hating on Johnny Football earlier.

Edited by nickman54
forgot something

Sorry, for posting twice, but after the AZ shooting, I went to Wal-mart and I see a guy with a glock holstered out in the open. Not shitting you, I ended up going to Carl Jr's later that night and I see TWO guys with holstered guns out in the open. I have no idea what training these clowns have. I will say, I am ok with people owning guns, as long as training and checks are done yearly!

I agree. There are so many measures our lawmakers could take to eliminate senseless shootings without taking away our right to carry or own high powered rifles.

They are not very smart for having guns holstered outside. A gun is 100x more effective when people do not know you're holstered. I suggest an IWB holster. My first advice is not to conceal carry in the first place because you can get yourself in a world of trouble whether or not you shoot someone.

Example: Crooks come into rob walmart, deal goes south and then shots ring out.. the first person to get bullets in the back will be the jackass with an exterior holster.

I just wanted to see what specific people he thought would determine my right to defend myself. See where im going with this?

Sorry should've made it a little more clear. In recent instances, signs were ignored by mental health professions about potentially dangerous individuals. The Aurora shooter for instance had many red flags that would've or should've been raised by doctors(whatever type) and some if not all of those concerns should have had a way of being forwarded to LE officials.

For instance if a shrink contacts the local sheriff's department, who at least here in Iowa is the agency responsible for issuing gun permits, and says I've got a guy who I REALLY believe is about to go shoot up a school, theater, church, mall, or whatever. The sheriff would/should be able to easily access data regarding firearms purchases made by said individual, could potentially suspend their gun permits, etc and investigate this matter further. Yet that doesn't happen often.

I just think its utter BS when mental health professionals are hamstrung in dealing specifically with individuals who have shown a propensity of violently acting out. Even though as a cop "every call is a gun call", information provided to me about an individual having violent tendencies is very beneficial to me.

Sorry should've made it a little more clear. In recent instances, signs were ignored by mental health professions about potentially dangerous individuals. The Aurora shooter for instance had many red flags that would've or should've been raised by doctors(whatever type) and some if not all of those concerns should have had a way of being forwarded to LE officials.

For instance if a shrink contacts the local sheriff's department, who at least here in Iowa is the agency responsible for issuing gun permits, and says I've got a guy who I REALLY believe is about to go shoot up a school, theater, church, mall, or whatever. The sheriff would/should be able to easily access data regarding firearms purchases made by said individual, could potentially suspend their gun permits, etc and investigate this matter further. Yet that doesn't happen often.

I just think its utter BS when mental health professionals are hamstrung in dealing specifically with individuals who have shown a propensity of violently acting out. Even though as a cop "every call is a gun call", information provided to me about an individual having violent tendencies is very beneficial to me.

'This was a quck who wanted to shoot people and was close enough to the mental field who knew how to set up his defense as to appear mentaliy "crazy" Let this motherfucker fry. Let us all watch it.

There are already Tarasoff Laws in most states that require mental health professionals to report to the person and/or police if a client expresses they are going to harm another. Most mental health professionals are also mandatory reports. A helping profession should not be blamed for mass-murders when there are already laws in place for therapists to make reports. If a person was to say they are going on a murdering spree, therapist can legally break confidentiality and make that call. Unfortunately, without the actual words it is hard to make that decision and the therapist could be sued by the client for speculation, big time.

Banning solves nothing. Even improvements in mental health (whatever the hell that means, seriously explain that to me) won't solve anything, not unless you're willing to lock 'em all up in an asylum. You're missing the point. Norway has some of the strictest gun control laws in the world, did that stop Anders Behring Breivik from murdering 77 people? He was initially diagnosed as a paranoid schizophrenic.

You can't stop these things from happening any more than you can end war. To focus time and energy to prevent these headline killings and ignoring the murders that happen DAILY in American inner-cities is everything that is wrong with America. We're reactionary and prone to sensationalism. 20 kids die in one day at Sandy Hook elementary in an affluent white community, let's change laws. Never mind that more Americans were shot and killed in Chicago (228 ) than died in Afghanistan (144) as of August of this year. Never mind that a vast majority of those shootings were with unregistered, illegal handguns. Never mind that gang violence is climbing. Don't look at this hand because you should focus on this one instead!

http://www.kansascity.com/2012/12/21/3976754/4-year-old-shooting-victim-dies.html

http://www.denverpost.com/breakingnews/ci_22208753/family-denver-teen-shot-killed-looks-answers

http://www.gadailynews.com/news/147066-police-teen-paul-sampleton-jr-shot-to-death-at-home-in-grayson.html

The only solution is to change culture that promotes this violence and it starts and ends with the parents. I don't know if these people need to find jobs or Jesus but something has to change. And sadly, I don't see it ever happening. It's just going to get worse and worse. And the sentiment that the government has to become our nanny will continue to grow. Brave New World indeed.

Oh and chew on this little nugget

Statistics from the recent past show states that passed concealed carry reduced their murder rate by 8.5%, rapes by 5% and robbery by 3%. Florida, which passed concealed carry in 1987, saw its higher than average homicide rate drop 52% during the following 15 years after passage, to below the national average.

Edited by piratey