Gun Control....

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I don't have a gun, but I have no problem with people having guns.

I find it hilarious that we always try to stop the surface issue, rather than trying to figure out why people use guns for wrong.

Much easier to take everyone's guns I guess then to make sure they are functioning members of society.

Just curious on how people stand on the gun control issue. I am very pro gun being from a rural community in Nebraska but would like to hear how other people feel about the subject. Please keep it civil....

If we want to be honest about it and really discuss gun control...it's not the guns that are the problem...it's not the video games...it's not the movies...it's our culture. Switzerland and Norway both have high % of gun ownership amongst their population(Both are at 45 guns per 100 residents) yet have a fraction of the gun related crime. Why is that? Honestly? ...Minorities. Yes, Sandy Hook, Columbine, Aurora shootings were all carried out by white males. That was 57 killed. From 2003 to July 2011, 3,313 people were murdered in Detroit. To put that in perspective, a little more than 2,000 Americans have died in Afghanistan.

The media is REALLY scared about digging into the real problem with gun violence and murder...because what you find is that it's almost entirely broken down by racial/economic lines. Maybe I'm jaded because I watch my morning and evening news out of Detroit. But look at Chicago...Look at Washington DC...Look at LA...Look at East St.Louis...Look at all the top 5 murder cities of american and what do they have in common?

1. Detroit 82.7%Black, 10.6%White, 6.8%Latino

2. East St. Louis 97.74%Black

3. Oakland 35.66%Black, 31.29%White, 21.89%Latino

4. Memphis 62.6%Black, 31.7%White

5. Birmingham 62.46%Black, 35.07%White

What I'm not saying is that Black People = Crime. What I AM saying is that inner city black culture is one that promotes/fosters crime. Sorry, there is no arguing that. The largest problem facing America is THE CULTURE OF OUR INNER CITIES. Black on black violence. The rise of Latino gangs and sanctuaries out west.

http://www.bridges4kids.org/articles/3-08/DetroitNews2-25-08.html

32% of kids in Detroit graduate from High School. Less than a 1/3rd. Where do they work?

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2011/05/07/detroit-illiteracy-nearly-half-education_n_858307.html

47% of Adults in Detroit are FUNCTIONALLY ILLITERATE.

Guns are the problem? Give me a break. Come watch my news every morning. We had 411 murders in Detroit last year, 377 in 2011. How many of those were committed by guns obtained by legal means? Murder went UP this year, even though Mayor Bing set up 13 city wide centers where the city was buying back guns for $100 a piece.

Until you change the culture of inner cities, you'll never fix the problem.

If we want to be honest about it and really discuss gun control...it's not the guns that are the problem...it's not the video games...it's not the movies...it's our culture. Switzerland and Norway both have high % of gun ownership amongst their population(Both are at 45 guns per 100 residents) yet have a fraction of the gun related crime. Why is that? Honestly? ...Minorities. Yes, Sandy Hook, Columbine, Aurora shootings were all carried out by white males. That was 57 killed. From 2003 to July 2011, 3,313 people were murdered in Detroit. To put that in perspective, a little more than 2,000 Americans have died in Afghanistan.

The media is REALLY scared about digging into the real problem with gun violence and murder...because what you find is that it's almost entirely broken down by racial/economic lines. Maybe I'm jaded because I watch my morning and evening news out of Detroit. But look at Chicago...Look at Washington DC...Look at LA...Look at East St.Louis...Look at all the top 5 murder cities of american and what do they have in common?

1. Detroit 82.7%Black, 10.6%White, 6.8%Latino

2. East St. Louis 97.74%Black

3. Oakland 35.66%Black, 31.29%White, 21.89%Latino

4. Memphis 62.6%Black, 31.7%White

5. Birmingham 62.46%Black, 35.07%White

What I'm not saying is that Black People = Crime. What I AM saying is that inner city black culture is one that promotes/fosters crime. Sorry, there is no arguing that. The largest problem facing America is THE CULTURE OF OUR INNER CITIES. Black on black violence. The rise of Latino gangs and sanctuaries out west.

http://www.bridges4kids.org/articles/3-08/DetroitNews2-25-08.html

32% of kids in Detroit graduate from High School. Less than a 1/3rd. Where do they work?

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2011/05/07/detroit-illiteracy-nearly-half-education_n_858307.html

47% of Adults in Detroit are FUNCTIONALLY ILLITERATE.

Guns are the problem? Give me a break. Come watch my news every morning. We had 411 murders in Detroit last year, 377 in 2011. How many of those were committed by guns obtained by legal means? Murder went UP this year, even though Mayor Bing set up 13 city wide centers where the city was buying back guns for $100 a piece.

Until you change the culture of inner cities, you'll never fix the problem.

Very good analysis.

The step that I do wish would be taken is for universal background checks. I have no problem with gun ownership but without universal background checks I find it difficult to believe that it wouldnt deter some unfit for gun ownership.

It just seems like a fairly easy step to me that wouldn't deter lawful gun owners from being able to purchase.

Very good analysis.

The thing is, everyone is afraid to say that. Bill Cosby did about 10-15 years ago and basically had to go into hiding. The inner city culture is the problem but if you bring that up, you're racist. You'll get all kinds of excuses, pointing the blame elsewhere. Just like you saw when a Japanese official got CRUSHED when asked why there was little to no crime and looting after the Tsunami compared to what we saw post Katrina.

I hear stuff like "Snitches end up in ditches" and see a community that doesn't WANT to clean itself up.

The thing is, everyone is afraid to say that. Bill Cosby did about 10-15 years ago and basically had to go into hiding. The inner city culture is the problem but if you bring that up, you're racist. You'll get all kinds of excuses, pointing the blame elsewhere. Just like you saw when a Japanese official got CRUSHED when asked why there was little to no crime and looting after the Tsunami compared to what we saw post Katrina.

I hear stuff like "Snitches end up in ditches" and see a community that doesn't WANT to clean itself up.

Its sad that anytime you bring up this argument, you will be immediately called a racist. The facts speak for themselves. The other problem is the national media would rather talk about an instance like Sandy Hook Tragedy, and not talk about the 100s of inner city kids that are being killed daily and where the underlying issues with that are.

The step that I do wish would be taken is for universal background checks. I have no problem with gun ownership but without universal background checks I find it difficult to believe that it wouldnt deter some unfit for gun ownership.

It just seems like a fairly easy step to me that wouldn't deter lawful gun owners from being able to purchase.

That's like trying to get rid of weeds with a lawnmower... You literally need to get to the root of the problem. But America is REALLY scared of talking about what the actual root causes are. We're dipping our toe into the mental health debate but the kid gloves are on. We won't touch the inner city debate with a 50 foot poll. We have a president who could actually wade into that but is too much of a coward to do so. People go nuts about these high profile shootings for two reasons.

1. The high volume of life lost

2. The demographics. Young, white kids are dying. Big story.

9month baby gets shot up by some kids with an AK47? Just another day in Detroit:

http://www.loop21.com/life/detroit-9-month-old-baby-killed-stray-ak-47-bullets

Mom stabs 9year old daughter? That's Detroit!

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2013/01/03/tameria-greene-detroit-mother-stabbing_n_2402209.html?utm_hp_ref=detroit

20 kids under the age of 18 were murdered in Detroit in 2011. 29 in 2012. 29 children killed in Detroit last year, did you know that? Unless you're from around here you didn't because America doesn't want to talk about it.

That's like trying to get rid of weeds with a lawnmower... You literally need to get to the root of the problem. But America is REALLY scared of talking about what the actual root causes are. We're dipping our toe into the mental health debate but the kid gloves are on. We won't touch the inner city debate with a 50 foot poll. We have a president who could actually wade into that but is too much of a coward to do so. People go nuts about these high profile shootings for two reasons.

9month baby gets shot up by some kids with an AK47? Just another day in Detroit:

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2013/01/03/tameria-greene-detroit-mother-stabbing_n_2402209.html?utm_hp_ref=detroit

20 kids under the age of 18 were murdered in Detroit in 2011. 29 in 2012. 29 children killed in Detroit last year, did you know that? Unless you're from around here you didn't because America doesn't want to talk about it.

SAme thIng in Chicago. 15 year old girl, who just performed at the inauguration, shot and killed. Main headline? Chicago needs gun control.

How about Chicago needs less thugs and gangsters who have to "man-up" and settle everything with bullets.

Its sad that anytime you bring up this argument, you will be immediately called a racist. The facts speak for themselves. The other problem is the national media would rather talk about an instance like Sandy Hook Tragedy, and not talk about the 100s of inner city kids that are being killed daily and where the underlying issues with that are.

You mean like how there were protests, rally's, thousands of hours of TV programming, the president coming out and making comments, when Travon Austin was killed? But when this 16 year old honor roll student in Chicago gets beaten to death by thugs, the story goes away quickly.

http://abcnews.go.com/US/police-arrest-teens-chicago-student-beating-death/story?id=8696090

SAme thIng in Chicago. 15 year old girl, who just performed at the inauguration, shot and killed. Main headline? Chicago needs gun control.

How about Chicago needs less thugs and gangsters who have to "man-up" and settle everything with bullets.

It's a main headline because she performed at the inauguration. If she was just a random 15 year old black girl who was gunned down, it'd be page 5 news in the Tribune...

The racism goes two ways and that's what's the crux... America would be up in arms if a 9month old white baby was shot, but with the case in Detroit, since it was a black baby? No national coverage, that's just Detroit. But then on the otherside, the black community doesn't say anything about it because they don't want to acknowledge their warts. They don't want to draw attention the problem because it will cast them in a bad light. What's the old phrase? The first step in recovery is admitting you have a problem....and inner city cultural has a massive problem that is growing....

Edited by piratey

I am under no illusion that it would solve a problem. My point is that we have the necessary technology, it wouldnt be a burden, and could prevent people who are not allowed/should not be allowed to have a weapon from making it harder or preventing them.

I agree that it wouldnt fix the problem, but it also wouldnt hurt the problem and would potentially prevent some individuals from having weapons that shouldnt.

You mean like how there were protests, rally's, thousands of hours of TV programming, the president coming out and making comments, when Travon Austin was killed? But when this 16 year old honor roll student in Chicago gets beaten to death by thugs, the story goes away quickly.

http://abcnews.go.com/US/police-arrest-teens-chicago-student-beating-death/story?id=8696090

The reason that happened in the case of Trayvon Martin is because he was killed by a "white latino". At least thats how the media reported it to make it fit the agenda better.

The reason that happened in the case of Trayvon Martin is because he was killed by a "white". At least thats how the media reported it to make it fit the agenda better.

Fixed it for you. Unless you watched Fox News, they never reported that he was half Latino. That's a whole other issue...the Latino/Black racism, especially out in SoCal. They didn't want to make it a Latino/Black race war so they didn't draw attention to that. That's a growing problem that is under reported is that those two minorities are having serious issues with one another out west....

I saw a few weeks ago that the top 5 movies just released contained 187 acts of violence. We are feeding this crap to our kids. The movie industry pumps millions of dollars into the liberal side of politics. Things are only going to get worse from here on out.

But the same movies are released in other countries.

I saw a few weeks ago that the top 5 movies just released contained 187 acts of violence. We are feeding this crap to our kids. The movie industry pumps millions of dollars into the liberal side of politics. Things are only going to get worse from here on out.

Don't blame video games, movies and televisions.... Parents need to teach their kids the difference between right and wrong, you can't mimic shit you see on TV or hear in a song.

[ame]www.youtube.com/watch?v=mAedkNCjnOQ[/ame]

That song is spot on...

We have a president who could actually wade into that but is too much of a coward to do so.

Remember Larry Fishburne in Boyz in the Hood pointing out the liquor stores in Watts? He was illustrating the # of liquor stores in black neighborhoods compared to white ones and questioning why.

Similar question to be begged here.

Half our country thinks the President is illegitimate already (for many colorful and interesting reasons) and you want him to peel that onion?

How about just confronting the actual issue to start? God knows there are alot of people unwilling to even discuss it.