Handgun of Choice

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I am looking for a home defense gun, it will be my first gun. My friend's recommend a shotgun. A Remington 870 express. What do you guys think? After reading this thread it sounds like you guys love the handguns. Is it because this is a handgun thread? hehe.. thanks

remington 870 tactical or marine magnum are both good guns, mossberg 500 persuader is similar and cheaper. I like handguns for home defense because with kids in the house we can keep them in small safes by the bed, shotgun is just a little harder to manuever and not as many rounds.

I am looking for a home defense gun, it will be my first gun. My friend's recommend a shotgun. A Remington 870 express. What do you guys think? After reading this thread it sounds like you guys love the handguns. Is it because this is a handgun thread? hehe.. thanks

I think for home defense a shotgun would be my first weapon of choice, if I didn't own any other guns. I already have several shotguns, so my natural expansion was into pistols and then a modern sport rifle (AR).

When it comes to home defense, and depending on your state castle laws, you don't want to fill an intruder with 15 rounds. The rule of thumb is 3 shots and if the perp is down, call 911 and tell the dispatcher what happened while standing within a short distance to make sure they stay down. IF they get up, 3 more shots. You don't want to make it look like you were taking out a bad day on the intruder.

High capacity pistols are pretty easy to rail off 8-10 rounds before you know what you are doing.

remington 870 tactical or marine magnum are both good guns, mossberg 500 persuader is similar and cheaper. I like handguns for home defense because with kids in the house we can keep them in small safes by the bed, shotgun is just a little harder to manuever and not as many rounds.

I agree with your assertion of storage, definitely want to keep them locked away. The biggest problem with pistols it that the projectile can travel a much greater distance and you really need to be aware of where that bullet may go. It will go through walls, windows, across the street and any other number of places. Awareness and understanding of your surroundings is critical!

I think for home defense a shotgun would be my first weapon of choice, if I didn't own any other guns. I already have several shotguns, so my natural expansion was into pistols and then a modern sport rifle (AR).

When it comes to home defense, and depending on your state castle laws, you don't want to fill an intruder with 15 rounds. The rule of thumb is 3 shots and if the perp is down, call 911 and tell the dispatcher what happened while standing within a short distance to make sure they stay down. IF they get up, 3 more shots. You don't want to make it look like you were taking out a bad day on the intruder.

High capacity pistols are pretty easy to rail off 8-10 rounds before you know what you are doing.

Not to split hairs but you shoot to stop the action. If it takes 15 shots then so be it. 3 shots may not do it if a person is doped up or mentally prepared to harm you without regard for their own life. Unless an actor is struck in the brain or spinal cord they can still fight on for a bit.

Not to split hairs but you shoot to stop the action. If it takes 15 shots then so be it. 3 shots may not do it if a person is doped up or mentally prepared to harm you without regard for their own life. Unless an actor is struck in the brain or spinal cord they can still fight on for a bit.

Absolutely agree with you, there will be cases where it is absolutely necessary. I had to deal with people like that on a pretty regular basis. And if that is the case, I am sure the coroner's report will show that stuff in their system and all will be fine. I was just stating that in general, you don't want overkill when it comes to self-defense.

The biggest thing to always remember is that you have use your head. That is why practice with your weapon of choice is so critical. When you are in the heat of a situation, you may not be thinking and muscle memory and training kick in. When you are trying to remember how to use your gun, you are not thinking about what is going on around you and what you need to do next.

Every situation will be different, obviously you have to do what is necessary to stop the action but you do have to try and maintain control. When the cops show up, you will get handcuffed, you will probably be slightly manhandled, you will have to go to jail, you will have explain yourself, the evidence needs to add up. I could go on and on about what you need to do if you, pray to god none of us have to, end someones life.

Hard to beat the simplicity of a snub-nose .38 with no hammer, especially for a woman. It being hammer free means she can slide it out without it getting hooked up on crap in her purse; it's relatively small but a .38 has plenty of stopping power, and being a revolver, you can't very well forget a round in the chamber and blow your foot off when you're cleaning or handling it later. My .02 cents.

Edited by NicePost
adding comment

I'm looking to go into Law Enforcement just wondering what everyone thinks would be the best handgun/caliber for the job. I know that glocks (especially the glock 22) are popular and was just wondering if anyone knows pros and cons of that gun, and what they'd prefer instead. Thanks to any and all help!

Well it depends, most agencies will issue duty firearms although some dont. These days you have a mix ranging from 9mm, .40 and .45 depending on agency. I use to have a Glock 22 and never had any complaints. Im pretty sure .40 is still the most preferred cartridge in LE. As someone who carries a Glock 37 now I have zero complaints other than the magazines hold 10 rounds as opposed to the 15 round magazine capacity in a Glock 22. But that isnt really a big deal to me. Your best bet is to go with a weapon that you like to fire and feel comfortable with. As you can tell everyone has their favorites!

I'm looking to go into Law Enforcement just wondering what everyone thinks would be the best handgun/caliber for the job. I know that glocks (especially the glock 22) are popular and was just wondering if anyone knows pros and cons of that gun, and what they'd prefer instead. Thanks to any and all help!

I was lucky to be issued a Sig P229 .40cal and it's my "baby"!

All I've known since joining the force was a Glock. We just had our Gen 4's issued to us, and I also bought my Gen 3 on a buy back with our department. I have a 22, but about a third of the department elected to use a 23 instead, which is slightly smaller.

In 14 years I can't say that I've had a lot of complaints with Glock as far as performance, handling, and maintaining it. I was an avid hunter, but lacked experience with handguns when I joined. The Glock is good for cleaning etc since it breaks down real easy. I can't say that I've messed around with too many other handguns that much to get a judgement on other brands. I will stand by my experience with the Glock though.

As I posted above, I really don't think you can go wrong with Sig or Glock. I don't have any experince with the S&W M&P or the Springfield Arms XD guns but would like to shoot them.

I am sure what ever dept you get on will have a duty issue weapon. Other than that it all comes down to personal preference. Sig owners and Glock owners both will defend their weapon of choice all day long becasue they are both a high quality piece. Depending on personal preference, you can't go wrong with either of them.

at the CZ-75 compact in 40 or 9. I personally own a G26 and a CZ 75 compact. I carry the G26 because of size, but as far as shooting the CZ is the most balance compact pistol i have ever shot, plus it has alot better trigger than any glock i have ever shot.