Do you conceal carry?

here is a story for you speedster

Gotta love Florida 's concealed hand gun law!

Retired Marine and former Pan Am/Delta Pilot John Lovell is Top Gun at Subway Sandwich Shop

Plantation, Florida:

Last week police were called to investigate an attempted armed robbery: The 71-year-old retired Marine who opened fire on two robbers at a Plantation, Florida, Subway shop late Wednesday, killing one and critically wounding the other, is described as John Lovell, a former helicopter pilot for two presidents. He doesn't drink, he doesn't smoke, and he works out every day. Mr. Lovell was a man of action Wednesday night.

According to Plantation police, two masked gunmen came into the Subway at1949 N. Pine Rd. just after 11 p.m. There was a lone diner, Mr. Lovell, who was finishing his meal. After robbing the cashier, the two men attempted to shove Mr. Lovell into a bathroom and rob him as well. They got his money, but then Mr. Lovell pulled his handgun and opened fire. He shot one of the thieves in the head and chest and the other in the head.

When police arrived, they found one of the men in the shop, K-9 Units found the other in the bushes of a nearby business. They also found cash strewn around the front of the sandwich shop according to Detective Robert Rettig of the Plantation Police Department.

Both men were taken to the Broward General Medical Center , where one, Donicio Arrindell, 22, of North Lauderdale died. The other, 21-year-old Frederick Gadson of Fort Lauderdale is in critical but stable condition.

Mr. Lovell was a pilot in the Marine Corps, flying former Presidents John F. Kennedy and Lyndon B. Johnson. He later worked as a pilot for Pan Am and Delta Airlines.

He is not expected to be charged authorities said. ''He was in fear for his life,'' Detective Rettig said, "These criminals ought to realize that most men in their 70's have military backgrounds and aren't intimidated by idiots."

Something tells me this old Marine wasn't "in fear for his life", even though his life was definitely at risk. The only thing he could be charged with is participating in an unfair fight. One 71- year young Marine against two punks. Two head shots and one center body mass shot.

Outstanding shooting! That'll teach them not to get between a Marine and his meal.

Florida law allows eligible citizens to carry a concealed weapon. Don't you just love a story with a happy ending?

LOVE IT! It seems he waited for a tactical moment to defend himself. AFTER he gave them his money and their guard was probably down with the ease of it and focusing on the money.

When thugs realize most anyone is armed but don't know who, they will think twice whether to risk their lives for a few bucks!

It's funny because after all these years, even off duty, I find that when I sit in any public place, I tend to choose the furthest seat from the door with my back to a wall. That will probably never change.

• Replies 94
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It's funny because after all these years, even off duty, I find that when I sit in any public place, I tend to choose the furthest seat from the door with my back to a wall. That will probably never change.

I've started doing this and it drives my girlfriend crazy! She didn't understand what it mattered where we sat and which side of the table I was on but she sure gets it now...I don't even have to say anything, she already knows where we're gonna sit ha

Speedy, great post! A real public service.

My friend, I do not carry – that citizenship thing.

Yet another good reason to change that.

Conceal Carry puts law abiding citizens on level ground with amoral thugs.

Though those areas that allow open carry are fine by me --

that announces, “Don’t even think about it.”

I absolutely agree with Dylan’s ”Gun free zones only make victim rich environments...”

Emphatically disagree with Colt’s http://www.lcav.org/statistics-polli...statistics.asp

This is an organization on the wrong side of this argument, self-proclaimed to be “Dedicated to reducing gun violence through legislation, litigation, and education.”

What makes anyone in their right mind think that gun-toting career criminals are going to start obeying new gun laws? Not sure of their plans on litigation here or educating the criminal element. Good luck with that.

Plus, given the time and the inclination I bet you can examine all such statistics and find flaws. Oft cited, "People who carry guns get shot." When I read that I think of all those gangbangers out there killing each other.

The stat that having a gun is much more likely to result in the shooting of a family member? Hmm does that stat include family members of aforementioned gangbangers who leave loaded unsecured guns lying around at home? Perhaps their family members are a disproportionate number of victims of accidental shootings? I’m sorry but every gun owner I know is a strong proponent of gun safety and educating family members about safely handling guns.

Chicago has tons of gun-control laws. How’s THAT working out? You’re safer in a war zone than in some of Chicago’s neighborhoods. In fact, in three of the past four years more Americans have been shot and killed in Chicago than in Iraq and Afghanistan – combined.

The stat that having a gun is much more likely to result in the shooting of a family member? Hmm does that stat include family members of aforementioned gangbangers who leave loaded unsecured guns lying around at home? Perhaps their family members are a disproportionate number of victims of accidental shootings? I’m sorry but every gun owner I know is a strong proponent of gun safety and educating family members about safely handling guns.

Great post Celtic!

All I can say is that from the age of 10, my daughter knew how to handle a gun. She knew there was nothing magical or mysterious about it. I took her out shooting and she knows the damage and destruction a gun is capable of. She knew basic gun safety and how to even unload and break my weapon down and put it back together. I keep my weapon secure but mostly for her friends that would come by the house and not necessarily for her protection. She views the gun as a tool. A hunk of metal that is used for self protection and ONLY in time of dire emergency. This is how kids were taught in the days of hunting for your own food. Children as young as 6 would learn to hunt and shoot a rifle or shotgun. There weren't a lot of home invasions and burglaries back then because everyone had a rifle or gun and knew how to use one. It completely astounds me that some people actually think that if we were to outlaw guns, that criminals would give guns up or could not get them. In that case, criminals would be the ONLY ones that have them forcing the law abiding citizen to be a helpless victim.

Got this from one of the sergeant's at the academy ha

1. Bring a gun. Preferably, bring at least two guns. Bring all of your friends who have guns.

2. Anything worth shooting is worth shooting twice. Ammo is cheap – life is expensive.

3. Only hits count. The only thing worse than a miss is a slow miss.

4. If your shooting stance is good, you’re probably not moving fast enough or using cover correctly.

5. Move away from your attacker. Distance is your friend. (Lateral and diagonal movement are preferred.)

6. If you can choose what to bring to a gunfight, bring a long gun and a friend with a long gun.

7. In ten years nobody will remember the details of caliber, stance, or tactics. They will only remember who lived.

8. If you are not shooting, you should be communicating, reloading, and running.

9. Accuracy is relative: most combat shooting standards will be more dependent on “pucker factor” than the inherent accuracy of the gun. Use a gun that works EVERY TIME. “All skill is in vain when an Angel blows the powder from the flintlock of your musket.”

10. Someday someone may kill you with your own gun, but they should have to beat you to death with it because it is empty.

11. Always cheat, always win. The only unfair fight is the one you lose.

12. Have a plan.

13. Have a back-up plan, because the first one won’t work.

14. Use cover or concealment as much as possible.

15. Flank your adversary when possible. Protect yours.

16. Don’t drop your guard.

17. Always tactical load and threat scan 360 degrees.

18. Watch their hands. Hands kill. (In God we trust. Everyone else, keep your hands where I can see them.)

19. Decide to be aggressive ENOUGH, quickly ENOUGH.

20. The faster you finish the fight, the less shot you will get.

21. Be polite. Be professional. But, have a plan to kill everyone you meet.

22. Be courteous to everyone, friendly to no one.

23. Your number one option for personal security is a lifelong commitment to avoidance, deterrence, and de-escalation.

24. Do not attend a gun fight with a handgun, the caliber of which does not start with anything smaller than “4″.

25. You can’t miss fast enough to win.

26. Regardless of whether justified or not, you will feel sad for killing another human being. It is better to be sad rather than room temperature.

Edited by dylanbg20

Got this from one of the sergeant's at the academy ha

1. Bring a gun. Preferably, bring at least two guns. Bring all of your friends who have guns.

2. Anything worth shooting is worth shooting twice. Ammo is cheap – life is expensive.

3. Only hits count. The only thing worse than a miss is a slow miss.

4. If your shooting stance is good, you’re probably not moving fast enough or using cover correctly.

5. Move away from your attacker. Distance is your friend. (Lateral and diagonal movement are preferred.)

6. If you can choose what to bring to a gunfight, bring a long gun and a friend with a long gun.

7. In ten years nobody will remember the details of caliber, stance, or tactics. They will only remember who lived.

8. If you are not shooting, you should be communicating, reloading, and running.

9. Accuracy is relative: most combat shooting standards will be more dependent on “pucker factor” than the inherent accuracy of the gun. Use a gun that works EVERY TIME. “All skill is in vain when an Angel blows the powder from the flintlock of your musket.”

10. Someday someone may kill you with your own gun, but they should have to beat you to death with it because it is empty.

11. Always cheat, always win. The only unfair fight is the one you lose.

12. Have a plan.

13. Have a back-up plan, because the first one won’t work.

14. Use cover or concealment as much as possible.

15. Flank your adversary when possible. Protect yours.

16. Don’t drop your guard.

17. Always tactical load and threat scan 360 degrees.

18. Watch their hands. Hands kill. (In God we trust. Everyone else, keep your hands where I can see them.)

19. Decide to be aggressive ENOUGH, quickly ENOUGH.

20. The faster you finish the fight, the less shot you will get.

21. Be polite. Be professional. But, have a plan to kill everyone you meet.

22. Be courteous to everyone, friendly to no one.

23. Your number one option for personal security is a lifelong commitment to avoidance, deterrence, and de-escalation.

24. Do not attend a gun fight with a handgun, the caliber of which does not start with anything smaller than “4″.

25. You can’t miss fast enough to win.

26. Regardless of whether justified or not, you will feel sad for killing another human being. It is better to be sad rather than room temperature.

Love them all but those are my favorites! lol

My company has a farmhouse in rural VA where we conduct all of our re-quals and our new inventory familiarization.

There's a sign posted at the entrance to the driveway that reads:

"This property protected by shotgun 3 days a week. You guess which 3."

Wow. How long ago was that, and was there any resolution? The concealed carry really was not the issue there, although it sounds like Zimmerman was not the kind of guy who should be allowed to carry at all. The guy thought he was a vigilante, and did not wait for the police to do their job. And doesn't a gated community usually have security too?

I would hypothesize the following: Zimmerman confronted the young man (Trayvon), the young man got angry about perceived (and probably actual) racism, there were words and then a physical confrontation, and Zimmerman used his gun to kill Trayvon Martin. That seems the most likely explanation, although there are a lot of variations -- for example, the young man might have reached for Zimmerman's gun.

Either way, Zimmerman should have never approached Trayvon just because of his race and place; Trayvon should have kept his cool; and Zimmerman should not have pulled his piece because of a scuffle. Three strikes plus ignorance multiplied by lack of self control raised to the power of a gun = manslaughter.

Edited by 2lakes

Wow. How long ago was that, and was there any resolution? The concealed carry really was not the issue there, although it sounds like Zimmerman was not the kind of guy who should be allowed to carry. The guy thought he was a vigilante, and did not wait for the police to do their job. And doesn't a gated community usually have security too?

I would hypothesize the following: Zimmerman confronted the young man (Trayvon), the young man got angry about perceived (and probably actual) racism, there were words and then a physical confrontation, and Zimmerman used his gun to kill Trayvon Martin. That seems the most likely explanation, although there are a lot of variations -- for example, the young man might have reached for Zimmerman's gun.

Either way, Zimmerman should have never approached Trayvon just because of his race and place; Trayvon should have kept his cool; and Zimmerman should not have pulled his piece because of a scuffle. Three strikes plus ignorance multiplied by lack of self control raised to the power of a gun = manslaughter.

It happened last month.. this is what worries me about certain ppl who conceal carry.

It happened last month.. this is what worries me about certain ppl who conceal carry.

Tenacious_ND, I can't say that I've never had concerns about the CC law even though I'm a supporter of it. Believe me there are people, albeit a few, who I knew would qualify to get one, but maybe shouldn't. Mainly because their f*ing idiots. I also say that about many other things in life, an example giving everyone a driver's license who "qualify". I know many will say its apples and oranges in comparison. The point is that there are numerous people out there who have no business getting behind the wheel of a two thousand pound missile, because they are irresponsible drivers who engage in many types of activities that distract them from driving or just plain ignore the rules of the road.

Speed,

In Iowa, we have a newer law on the books that is much less stringent than it has been, that allows concealed carry to those who qualify. I personally have a Walther PPK .380 for CC and a Sig P226 .40 for home protection. I am looking at a P229 (smaller version of the P226 for those who don't know) but the Sig's can be pricey. Both of my kids are able to handle the PPK, field strip it and use it proficiently. I am in favor of the newer CC laws and hope that in the long run that it will decrease some of the more heinous crimes committed against defenseless people.

As a former law enforcement officer, there were many times that I wish a trained civilian was around to have my back. Situations can escalate in the blink of an eye but back-up usually happens in minutes, not seconds like the crimes that are committed do.

My question to you, as I have not read up on this much, is portability. More to the point, taking a CC weapon across state lines. I know that there is some reciprocity among states. I have heard Illinois is one of the states that will not allow it. Do you know of any sites or links that detail the CC reciprocity information?

Speed,

In Iowa, we have a newer law on the books that is much less stringent than it has been, that allows concealed carry to those who qualify. I personally have a Walther PPK .380 for CC and a Sig P226 .40 for home protection. I am looking at a P229 (smaller version of the P226 for those who don't know) but the Sig's can be pricey. Both of my kids are able to handle the PPK, field strip it and use it proficiently. I am in favor of the newer CC laws and hope that in the long run that it will decrease some of the more heinous crimes committed against defenseless people.

As a former law enforcement officer, there were many times that I wish a trained civilian was around to have my back. Situations can escalate in the blink of an eye but back-up usually happens in minutes, not seconds like the crimes that are committed do.

My question to you, as I have not read up on this much, is portability. More to the point, taking a CC weapon across state lines. I know that there is some reciprocity among states. I have heard Illinois is one of the states that will not allow it. Do you know of any sites or links that detail the CC reciprocity information?

If you are a retired police officer you may want to check out H.R.218: The Law Enforcement Officers Safety Act of 2004. If you left law enforcement for another job then it won't apply.

Tenacious_ND, I can't say that I've never had concerns about the CC law even though I'm a supporter of it. Believe me there are people, albeit a few, who I knew would qualify to get one, but maybe shouldn't. Mainly because their f*ing idiots. I also say that about many other things in life, an example giving everyone a driver's license who "qualify". I know many will say its apples and oranges in comparison. The point is that there are numerous people out there who have no business getting behind the wheel of a two thousand pound missile, because they are irresponsible drivers who engage in many types of activities that distract them from driving or just plain ignore the rules of the road.

i dont understand wanting to cary a gun around for protection unless you live in a high crime area. Ive got friends that CC just because they can.

i dont understand wanting to cary a gun around for protection unless you live in a high crime area. Ive got friends that CC just because they can.

Violent crimes can and will occur anywhere at anytime as evidenced by Columbine, Virginia Tech, Northern Illinois, and the numerous other incidents where active shooters picked a target of opportunity that was considered a "safe" area(s). I know the ones I mentioned were all school shootings and there is the ongoing debate about allowing faculty to carry in the school's, which I'd support. I just remembered the attack on Rep. Gifford in Arizona at a public speaking event. Fort Hood also may have been prevented/minimized if soldiers or officers on base were allowed to carry a sidearm, which would make sense IMO since they train a lot on how to use them in combat.

In active shooter situations, it has been found that the most effective way to stop these maniacs is confrontation, usually in the form of force on force. Most active shooters are cowards and intentionally pick weak targets where they believe they will be able to cause the most damage and casualties and receive the least resistance(fight) from their victim's. Once confronted by like force, the active shooter is extremely likely to flee and take their own life. Its not an exact science, but these are the lessons that we in law enforcement are taught should an active shooter situation arise. Unfortunately I know my department's average response time for a call, which generally is counted as a couple minutes. Really bad things happen in seconds. An armed citizen who happens to be on scene of an event like this as its happening, can help to save countless lives by engaging the shooter quickly, either ending the threat or causing the POS to run like the coward they are.

Another example involves terrorists. Terrorists also choose soft targets, as evidenced by the 9-11 hi-jackings. They took over four planes using box-cutters and the threat of a bomb on board, knowing that they would not encounter armed individuals in that situation who could stop them and their goal. The Beslan school massacre in Russia and the attacks at the hotel in Mumbai, India also are examples of terrorist picking soft targets to engage to further their political agendas. These types of events could easily occur in the United States by any number of motivated terrorists groups. One factor that many experts believe may may help alleviate that is the presence of armed citizens. States that are perceived as "pro gun" states may cause a terrorist to reconsider plans those areas.

Its a personal choice and a big responsibility to carry, and frankly its not for everyone. I am thankful for those that do and I know that someday my bacon my be in the fryer and they may be the ones bailing me out or help to protect someone I love before the police can get on scene.

odds are not likely.

Odds are not likely that an unarmed kid carrying Skittles would get gunned down either but guess what?

Shit happens.

Since you posted a rare news article of when an armed citizen used his right to carry in a tragic way, I could argue my point about the reasons you SHOULD carry by linking news articles about defenseless people getting robbed, raped and killed but this website does not have the bandwidth to list all of them.

You have obviously never been a victim,,,, Yet.