Longo putting them to work

• Replies 26
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I don't want to $hit on the old regime, because what's done is done...

But anyone who saw S&C workouts under Mendoza, and now under Longo, should be completely thrilled with the stuff that they're doing. I have a background in this stuff, and even if the clip was only 3 minutes, it was absolutely fantastic.

That's all I'm going to say about it. That video was awesome, and sold me completely on Longo.

Whassup with the chains? I know it's added weight, but...

The idea is that as you are finishing your lift, the weight increases b/c you "pick up" another link.

So for example, on the bench press, the weight is heaviest at the top. So as you lower it down it slowly gets lighter as your arms "hinge" and the links rest on the ground. Then as you explode up from your chest the weight gets heavier and heavier the higher you get.

It is an effective way to maximize total weight throughout the motion of a lift.

The idea is that as you are finishing your lift, the weight increases b/c you "pick up" another link.

So for example, on the bench press, the weight is heaviest at the top. So as you lower it down it slowly gets lighter as your arms "hinge" and the links rest on the ground. Then as you explode up from your chest the weight gets heavier and heavier the higher you get.

It is an effective way to maximize total weight throughout the motion of a lift.

Yeah its very effective. I've recently started chains in the gym and love it.

Guest rocketsan22

Well I learned something cool today, thanks :)

The only thing bad about the chains is it actually decreases the use of fast twitch fibers in the lift...studies on their effectiveness are inconclusive. (Sorry to get scientific)

I can't see the video. Are they using chains for bench and/or leg work?

I'd much rather have the fast twitch muscle development in the legs where you need the explosion.

I'll just take brute strength in the arms and chest.

Also, how big are the chain links?

Are they huge chains, like 1 pound per link or something?

I would guess 2-3 lbs.....here's the theory..

"For example if you have 225 on the bar with the Westside chains, you will be holding 305 at lockout and only 225 off your chest. As the weight comes up to the 25% phase of the lift you should be moving 250, at the half way point 275 and at the finish 305. You are literally overcoming "EVERY" sticking point during the full range of motion of the bench press. You see normally in benching off our chest, we lose speed coming off of our chest and it hurts our lockout. With chains we are now forced to build explosion off our chest and greater lockout power. And using chains on other exercises like the squat and deadlift are no different."

http://www.criticalbench.com/bench-press-chains.htm

We always did a lot of incline and decline Bench. As our coach said if you are benching someone off of you ...you are laying on your back and that is not where you want to be in football. We also did a lot of power cleans and full squats. also a lot of circut training. I did get a lot stronger and faster so it definitely worked

It seemed like every year after the coaches conference he would have seen some presentation and we would be trying it out. One year they bought a bunch of tractor tires and we had to flip them the entire length of the field. The other was taking a 45 pound plate behind a 2 by 4 and pushing it the length of the gym and back in a bear crawl position.

I can't see the video. Are they using chains for bench and/or leg work?

I'd much rather have the fast twitch muscle development in the legs where you need the explosion.

I'll just take brute strength in the arms and chest.

Also, how big are the chain links?

The players were doing hang snatches, kettlebell swings (so fired up that Longo uses kettlebells!) and shuttle drills -- those will develop the fast twitch muscles just fine.

Also, just because they were using chains in this workout doesn't mean they use them in all workouts. We were just seeing a peephole into the S&C program, which is most definitely varied considerably.

We always did a lot of incline and decline Bench. As our coach said if you are benching someone off of you ...you are laying on your back and that is not where you want to be in football.

Incline and decline bench are, no offense to your training regiment, pointless for power. The bench press is the deepest range of motion for the chest (and it's supporting muscles) and is the best exercise to exert strength in that area. Incline and decline were exercises created for body builders to gain a more "muscle fiber" look -- they have no practical use otherwise.

We also did a lot of power cleans and full squats. also a lot of circut training. I did get a lot stronger and faster so it definitely worked

The squat is, hands down, the absolute best exercise you could ever do for your body, when done right. Doing it right means squatting below parallel (having your butt hit your heels.) From the video, they were doing it right.

Power cleans are awesome, too.

It seemed like every year after the coaches conference he would have seen some presentation and we would be trying it out. One year they bought a bunch of tractor tires and we had to flip them the entire length of the field. The other was taking a 45 pound plate behind a 2 by 4 and pushing it the length of the gym and back in a bear crawl position.

Flipping tires, running in sand, and bear crawls are all metabolic conditioning, and they're fantastic.