Coordinator Diaco believes in a simple style

http://www.southbendtribune.com/article/20100120/SPORTS13/100129936/1021/Sports

Snippet:

http://www.southbendtribune.com/apps/pbcsi.dll/bilde?Site=SB&Date=20100120&Category=SPORTS13&ArtNo=100129936&Ref=AR&Profile=1021&MaxW=290&MaxH=240

"We'll have a clear focus on those nuts and bolts - blocking and tackling; block destruction; ball security. At particular points in the season, where you're so focused on a particular formation, or player, or system, you lose some of those core fundamentals. (Head) Coach (Brian) Kelly, our philosophy, that never happens. The nuts and bolts things are addressed each day and worked each day."

..."At the end, Thursday night, Friday, as we transition into the real prep for game day, (the players) are gonna feel well-prepared," Diaco said. "They're gonna be well-prepared. There won't be a situation where we're trying to con them into feeling well-prepared with some kind of fabricated, ‘Hey, you've gotta have a swagger; some kind of pep talk.'

"Never happens. Coach Kelly doesn't do it. They're not gonna play great because of some speech. It's in the preparation."

The passion burst in Diaco's eyes.

"When (the ND defenders) grab the opponent," he said, both hands clenched, trembling, in a blocking motion, "they got 'em. There's confidence there."

Edited by RockneDrive

• Replies 21
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Guest irishrick

Rockne, i agree Kelly should have a good year IF HE CAN DEVELOP THE INCOMING AND TEACH THE TEAM HOW TO TACKLE, HE HAS AN EXPERIENCED STAFF ON BOARD, AND A FAIRLY EASY SCHEDULE , AT FIRST IT LOOKED LIKE A 6-6 SEASON AFTER JC AND TATE LEFT , AND WITH FLOYD' STATUS UNKNOWN WE SHOULD BE IN PRETTY GOOD SHAPE WITH THE TALENT , BUT WITH STANFORD LOSING A FEW AND USC DOING THERE THING KELLY NOW HAS TO WIN 10 GAMES TO HAVE SUCCESSFUL SEASON IMO, WE HAVE A FEW GIMMES ON THE SCHEDULE . AND A FEW TOUGH BUT WINNABLE GAMES MICHIGAN PITT AND MICH STATE , WILL BE TOUGH. WHAT SAY YOU ?

Those are mighty pretty words for someone who's been a failure as a defensive coordinator to this point in his career.

They were 44th in the country in scoring defense in the man's first year as a defensive coordinator on a team that went 12-1 and won a conference title (and was replacing 10 starters). I mean, he wasn't exactly Jim Johnson, but failure might be a little harsh.

Then again, you hate all things Brian Kelly, so hate on hater.

They were 44th in the country in scoring defense in the man's first year as a defensive coordinator on a team that went 12-1 and won a conference title (and was replacing 10 starters). I mean, he wasn't exactly Jim Johnson, but failure might be a little harsh.

http://www.kikareichert.com.br/inspirations/wp-content/uploads/2009/02/haters.gif

You are right on that last part, I'm really not a Brian Kelly fan. Then again, I've never tried to hide that from anyone. I've been more than forthcoming with the notion that I think he's going to be the next Davie/Willingham/Weis at Notre Dame.

That said, I can throw out stats too. Cincinnati finished 67th in total defense in 2009.

Alabama, Texas, TCU, Florida, Ohio State, Iowa, Boise State...All fellow BCS teams, all Top-20 total defenses.

Cincinnati finished 67th. They got their lunch eaten by Florida. Stats never lie and they were the one team that was out of place in the BCS.

In 2004, Diaco was the Co-DC at Central Michigan. They finished 105th in total defense. In 2005, he was again Co-DC at Central Michigan. They finished 74th.

So, yes. As a DC, he's been a failure because his units haven't produced to a level needed to win anything of note in big-time college football. Cincinnati gave up over 30 points in 4 of its last 5 games in 2009. If winning the Big East by the skin of your teeth is cool, then that's great. Unfortunately, we're not in a conference, so he's going to have to aim for a BCS title.

You'll never win anything more than the worst BCS conference in America if your defense can't hold up its end of the bargain. If ND wants to get to the absolute top, he better do a lot more time coaching and a lot less time talking like he's proven anything. We just fired a head coach who couldn't put a good defense on the field, we don't need another one.

Edited by ColinKSU

You are right on that last part, I'm really not a Brian Kelly fan. Then again, I've never tried to hide that from anyone.

That said, I can throw out stats too. Cincinnati finished 67th in total defense in 2009.

Alabama, Texas, TCU, Florida, Ohio State, Iowa, Boise State...All fellow BCS teams, all Top-20 total defenses.

Cincinnati finished 67th. They got their lunch eaten by Florida.

In 2004, Diaco was the Co-DC at Central Michigan. They finished 105th in total defense. In 2005, he was again Co-DC at Central Michigan. They finished 74th.

So, yes. As a DC, he's been a failure because his units haven't produced to a level needed to win anything of note in big-time college football. Cincinnati gave up over 30 points in 4 of its last 5 games in 2009. If winning the Big East by the skin of your teeth is cool, then that's great. Unfortunately, we're not in a conference, so he's going to have to aim for a BCS title.

You'll never win anything more than the worst BCS conference in America if your defense can't hold up its end of the bargain. If ND wants to get to the absolute top, he better do a lot more time coaching and a lot less time talking like he's proven anything. We just fired a head coach who couldn't put a good defense on the field, we don't need another one.

I was at CMU for the 2004 defense, and you're right, it wasn't pretty. But that wasn't Diaco's, he was at Western as the LB coach then. So in his first year as co-DC at Central, which hadn't had a winning record since 1998 and was the worst team in the MAC for the first half of the 2000s, the defense improved by quite a bit, and the team had a winning record. He then went to Virginia and worked under Al Groh, who isn't an awesome head coach, but is considered by many to be a pretty good defensive mind.

In his first year as a D-coordinator (I'm sorry, I was wrong in my first post) the Virginia defense was 40th in the country.

Now he's going to be working with more talented players than he's ever dealt with (and mind you, if ND's defense was 40th or 44th last year, we're not even having this conversation).

Again, he hasn't been a world-beater, but what the hell do you want him to say?

"I suck at my job, but hey, this inter-locking ND is pretty awesome!"

He focuses on fundamentals with his defense, which is a bonus for Irish fans since nobody on this team can tackle consistently. The guy is 36 years old, has plenty of energy and room to grow, and I for one am excited to have him around.

(I only use scoring defense numbers, by the way, because those are the only numbers that count)

Edited by Ital-Irish
I've been drinking and forgot words

Guest rocketsan22
If ND wants to get to the absolute top, he better do a lot more time coaching and a lot less time talking like he's proven anything.

How long has he been on campus? Because unless you are getting secret signals, this is the first we've heard from him in the two or three weeks he's been around...

How long has he been on campus? Because unless you are getting secret signals, this is the first we've heard from him in the two or three weeks he's been around...

Let it go rocket, unless Kelly goes 13-0 and wins every game by 20+ points, some people are just gonna bitch - its all they know how to do.

People need to realize - WE SUCKED. We weren't decent with a few bad breaks, we weren't even just bad, we absolutely sucked. Brian Kelly is, by far, the best coach we had a chance to hire. People need to let go of the notion that we had a shot at Stoops or Meyer, we didn't. Coaches don't leave great programs where they have complete control to go to a team that absolutely sucks and they don't have complete control - plain and simple. Money doesn't matter. Its about control, and the university isn't going to that to a football coach, and if you think they should, then go be a Florida, Alabama, Texas, Oklahoma or any other football school.

Notre Dame is different and we all know that and thas why we are fans of ND and not some other school. Stoops and Meyer are not coming to ND because they don't want to have to deal with the headaches that come with being Notre Dame. They have complete autonomy where they are at, and they are not going to give it up to come ND and not have it....

Edited by ND FANATIC

You are right on that last part, I'm really not a Brian Kelly fan. Then again, I've never tried to hide that from anyone. I've been more than forthcoming with the notion that I think he's going to be the next Davie/Willingham/Weis at Notre Dame.

Cincinnati finished 67th. They got their lunch eaten by Florida. Stats never lie and they were the one team that was out of place in the BCS.

Mr Statistician man....please to look up John Tenuta's defensive statistics and then pronounce him the best DC in the nation :hand:

BTW, you are not allowed to jump on Kelly's bandwagon when he becomes successful at ND. You're line is drawn in the sand and your stance is clear. Excuse many of us if we just don't give a crap if a journalist who's never had anything to do with football in his life is calling out a man that has a 171-57-2 record as a head coach with subpar athletes for D1.