Notre Dame’s Next Coach Will Demand Lower Academic Standards

• Replies 35
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Horning told ESPN's Dan Patrick that former coach Lou Holtz showed him a list of the top-50 recruits and explained to him that the University's admissions office was only going to allow him to recruit three players on the list.

Horning felt that in the late 1980's, when Notre Dame won its last national championship, academic standards were eased.

Gopal talked about the calculus requirement for all freshman and said, "It prevented Bob Davie from recruiting T.J. Duckett and David Terrell, both of who wanted to go to Notre Dame but couldn't pass calculus."

The argument that ND cannot successfully recruit championship caliber talent is over. And if you have any clue about Notre Dame you would know that the football coach doesn't dictate admissions.

Next subject.

I hear ya. If we recruit top 10, top 15 talent year end and year out, we should have no problem competing for a national championship every year. I am not looking for excuses just good student athletes who may not become mathematicians.

I don't know. I think calculus could give players the ability to have a decided schematic advantage on the football field. just sayin'

LOL!

I hear ya. If we recruit top 10, top 15 talent year end and year out, we should have no problem competing for a national championship every year. I am not looking for excuses just good student athletes who may not become mathematicians.

LOL!

Sure ND's recruiting ranking has been top 10 top 15 since '06, but it's a bit misleading. Charlie has no problem getting the skill players that play offense, the problem is he can't get the skill players that play defense. That's were the academic problem comes in. In his 5 years, he's only been able to recruit a handful of defensive blue chips.

Sure ND's recruiting ranking has been top 10 top 15 since '06, but it's a bit misleading. Charlie has no problem getting the skill players that play offense, the problem is he can't get the skill players that play defense. That's were the academic problem comes in. In his 5 years, he's only been able to recruit a handful of defensive blue chips.

I think a handful on the defense is overstating it a bit. We need DL that can read and write and maybe even add a little. WE have seen what Calculus does for our Defensive linemen. Their heads are so full of equations, they can't make a tackle, beat a block or get to the QB.

Not exactly true either. There are plenty that could get in they just chose elsewhere and they would have literally made the difference this season.

Omar Hunter

Justin Trattou

McCoy

just to name a few. Get off the crutch that we cannot get players on defense and get on the train that we DID not get players on defense. Actually, we did get good players....they just aren't developed yet.

Not exactly true either. There are plenty that could get in they just chose elsewhere and they would have literally made the difference this season.

Omar Hunter

Justin Trattou

McCoy

just to name a few. Get off the crutch that we cannot get players on defense and get on the train that we DID not get players on defense. Actually, we did get good players....they just aren't developed yet.

Fine, include those 3. That's still a drop in the bucket.

Omar Hunter

Justin Trattou

McCoy

Can Notre Dame get those kids the answer is yes....but with the standards the pool is much smaller to pull from thus making the odds of landing those kids smaller.

for every Justin Trattou there are 15 kids with similar talents that cannot meet the academic standards.

Example Alabama can offer 20 kids at DL simply because they can breathe

ND can only offer 4 kids you better hit on all 4 or you will take a big drop off in talent to fill the needs....also if Alabama misses they can bring in a JUCO ala Mt. Cody.

Charlie has proven you can bring in the talent but we are definitely at a disadvantage....because we have a smaller pool of students to recruit.

Keep the calculus class, dammit.

If I could pass it in 1968, these hot-shot recruits should have to pass it.

It is a right of passage at ND

I'm just saying, I'm a college student right now and don't have to take any math because I did 2 years of calculus in high school, but I really don't think calculus should be a requirement. It's not something most people will use in life regardless of what they tell you. A college algebra, geometry/trig class would suffice in my opinion.

I was not required to take calculus at ND. I was an econ major. That has now changed though as it shouldve been required. There are plenty of majors at ND where calculus is not a requirement.

On the whole Alabama/insert state school here academic requirements, those programs should have lower standards. They are public institutions and are taking kids who without football probably wouldn't have a shot in hell of even going to community college. Also, ND's athlete requirements are not that hard, but I wouldn't mind seeing an exception or three per recruiting cycle (ie Jon Baldwin).

Omar Hunter

Justin Trattou

McCoy

Tim, you make THE BEST TACOS EVER!!!!!

We haven't gotten ONE gamechanger on the D-line in like 100 years. We need some dumbasses!!!! :)

I think the #1 class that students would actually use in ''real life'' would be Public Speaking. Think about the people that are at the top of their respective fields. What do they have in common? The VAST majority can get up and speak to a group or crowd! I also think that there should be more writing and communication classes required. I think it is important to be able to form a thought and convey your message. IMHO, General accounting classes would suffice for the math requirement for the majority of students. I did use what I learned, in my physics class, to build a subwoofer box for my car!!! I was only able to tune it to 35Hz due to a lack of airspace for the size of the woofers that I bought.

Let's face it, as long as we can get decent kids,keep them out of jail and teach them to speak intelligently in front of the cameras then they will be a decent representative for the school.