Let's Go Bowling

It sounds like there are basically two bowls in play for ND. Either the ReliaQuest Bowl (formerly Outback Bowl) on January 1 against an SEC opponent (likely LSU or Tennessee, but have seen Ole Miss as another possibility) or the Pop Tarts Bowl (formerly the Camping World Bowl) against a Big 12 opponent (likely Oklahoma State or Kansas State, but have seen Oklahoma as another possibility). 

For me, I want Tennessee in the ReliaQuest Bowl. I get the BK narrative, but this is a more intriguing game to me. We have played LSU in bowl games twice in the last nine seasons, and I would love some new blood. I also don't want to imagine how terrible the offseason would be if ND lost to LSU/BK. I also think Tennessee presents a good matchup for ND. I've watched 2-3 of their games, and they looked terrible (albeit against some really good teams, Mizzou and Georgia). 

I really don't want ND in the Pop Tarts Bowl. ND just played Oklahoma State two seasons ago, and Kansas State just doesn't do it for me (it reminds me of the lack of intrigue surrounding ND's Camping World Bowl matchup against Iowa State in 2019).

For ND to get the ReliaQuest Bowl, it sounds like ND needs Michigan to go to the Playoff and Ohio State to go to the Orange Bowl. Ohio State goes to the Orange Bowl if it finishes higher than the highest ranked, non-Playoff SEC team (i.e., Alabama). If Georgia beats Alabama in the SEC Championship this weekend, then ND will be headed to Tampa for the ReliaQuest Bowl. But someone feel free to correct me if I'm wrong here.

Who do you guys want to see?

• Heart 1

22 minutes ago, tneun89 said:

It sounds like there are basically two bowls in play for ND. Either the ReliaQuest Bowl (formerly Outback Bowl) on January 1 against an SEC opponent (likely LSU or Tennessee, but have seen Ole Miss as another possibility) or the Pop Tarts Bowl (formerly the Camping World Bowl) against a Big 12 opponent (likely Oklahoma State or Kansas State, but have seen Oklahoma as another possibility). 

For me, I want Tennessee in the ReliaQuest Bowl. I get the BK narrative, but this is a more intriguing game to me. We have played LSU in bowl games twice in the last nine seasons, and I would love some new blood. I also don't want to imagine how terrible the offseason would be if ND lost to LSU/BK. I also think Tennessee presents a good matchup for ND. I've watched 2-3 of their games, and they looked terrible (albeit against some really good teams, Mizzou and Georgia). 

I really don't want ND in the Pop Tarts Bowl. ND just played Oklahoma State two seasons ago, and Kansas State just doesn't do it for me (it reminds me of the lack of intrigue surrounding ND's Camping World Bowl matchup against Iowa State in 2019).

For ND to get the ReliaQuest Bowl, it sounds like ND needs Michigan to go to the Playoff and Ohio State to go to the Orange Bowl. Ohio State goes to the Orange Bowl if it finishes higher than the highest ranked, non-Playoff SEC team (i.e., Alabama). If Georgia beats Alabama in the SEC Championship this weekend, then ND will be headed to Tampa for the ReliaQuest Bowl. But someone feel free to correct me if I'm wrong here.

I like either option since they are both in Florida and it gives me a chance to go  🙂

• Heart 1
  • Laughing Leprechaun 1

1 hour ago, tneun89 said:

Give me Tennessee. I would love to see them beat d!ckwad BK, and more than likely they’re playing without Daniels, but I want to see a different opponent after two bowl games against them recently.

• Heart 1

1 hour ago, tneun89 said:

I want Tennessee the most out of all of these potential matchups, specifically for the reasons you had mentioned here.

I think the last time Notre Dame played Tennessee was in 2004, and I believe the all time record is 5-5.

• Heart 1

I'm kind of ho-hum with any bowls with players opting out for both teams in what is a meaningless game anymore.  

But if I had to choose an option, I agree that Tennessee is the only intriguing match-up.

I miss the days before conference tie-ins with bowls.  When bowl representatives courted teams to play in their game.  There were also less bowls to go around then too, and was as "privilege" to get an invite to one.

• Heart 4

I am honestly treating the bowl game like the first game on next season / tryout.  Don't much care in the traditional way of winning out the season....more of I hope we see some  young guys we can then dream will become stars all winter and spring...

• Trophy 1

LSU scares me.  Not the team, just the possibility of losing to that dipshit BK.  I think the Irish D holds LSU just fine though, especially if Daniels doesn't play.  Also, playing LSU might convince some kids to actually play who might have sit out otherwise.  I'm sure there are some that might want a chance at beating their old coach.  Who knows.  Either way, I just can't wait to watch one more game.

• Heart 1
  • Flames 1

1 hour ago, NYGoldenDomer said:

LSU scares me.  Not the team, just the possibility of losing to that dipshit BK.  I think the Irish D holds LSU just fine though, especially if Daniels doesn't play.  Also, playing LSU might convince some kids to actually play who might have sit out otherwise.  I'm sure there are some that might want a chance at beating their old coach.  Who knows.  Either way, I just can't wait to watch one more game.

Exactly how I feel! It would make the offseason so, so horrible!!

The intrigue will be there for a ND/LSU matchup. My preference would be Tennessee, primarily because we have played LSU recently in the postseason bowls. New blood.

But if I were the Reliaquest Bowl  organizing committee, I’d be all in on making ND/LSU happen. The game would sell itself. 

• Heart 1
  • Cheers 1