Texas A&M and Mike Elko Agree on Coaching Deal

https://www.espn.com/college-football/story/_/id/38986402/texas-nearing-deal-mike-elko-next-coach

Texas A&M and Duke's Mike Elko have reached an agreement to make him the school's next head coach, sources told ESPN on Sunday.

Elko addressed the potential move with his Duke team at a team meeting Sunday. Sources told ESPN in the afternoon that an official announcement was expected in next 24 hours.

Elko is a former Texas A&M defensive coordinator who left there two years ago to take the Duke head-coaching job. Elko was the coordinator for some of Texas A&M's best recent seasons, including the 9-1 campaign in 2020 that culminated with an Orange Bowl victory.

Since Elko's departure after the 2021 season, A&M's performance has dipped on the field. The Aggies went 12-12 the past two years, which is why the school paid a record $76 million buyout to fire coach Jimbo Fisher. The buyout is not subject to offset or mitigation and is by far the biggest in the history of the sport.

3 hours ago, AnTostal said:

Sounds like A&M had a deal in place with Mark Stoops from Kentucky, but when word got out among the A&M faithful, a revolt ensued:

https://www.si.com/college/tamu/football/tamu-aggies-mark-stoops-board-of-regents-jimbo-fisher-fired-mike-elko

Stoops is the first hire I heard about as well.  I didn't know about what happen regarding the link you posted so I was surprised when I saw that Elko was hired.