Forum upgrades coming in 2024

Mike

I've probably said it before, but I generally don't like change.  However with the transitions this site has undergone over the past few years, I've been able to adjust, and I'm sure I'll be able to do it again.  There will be growing pains, but they can be overcome.

Thanks Mike, and the staff for your efforts.  I do appreciate what you do to keep the lights on so to speak.  This place is home for me, and I check in many times each day in and out of the season to get my ND fix, and discuss with a lot of great members here that I've gotten to "know" over the last dozen or so years.

• Heart 2

Just as long as I can get to recruiting news in a streamlined way…obviously, if I’m commenting about this, I’m fully exercising my Catholicism and have been drinking, but by now, you know I’m going to hit you on my inability to obtain recruiting news easily.  Otherwise, I’m cool with whatever…even the tons of commercials that like, literally nobody clicks on…Hope it‘s not pay per click…. If it is, I’ve been exploring other ways to make revenue for something unrelated, how to get sponsors/fundraise for kids golf, but the same logic could apply here.  We could coordinate.

Anyway, that’s all I got…screw it up too badly and I’ll just make a new site…. Haha.  Jk.  I’m too lazy….

• Trophy 1

Followup…something I would personally find useful is a list of ND Camps or Retreats/Experiences.  I know we’re looking to go to golf camp for my 10 year old in the Summer, but they haven’t posted it yet.  I actually don’t know any resource that centralizes Notre Dame camps, so that could be something that attracts folks to the site.  Just a thought….

• Heart 1

Thanks @jessemoore97. I love having you here and appreciate everything you bring to the community. I think most members will be on board with the changes and I don't expect too much of a learning curve this time. If there is anything that isn't working for you, please share and I'll see what I can do.

-----------------------------------------------

Thank you, @jimbo! I've been preparing for these changes since April or May, so I have enough where I can give a what to expect at this point. Plus, there really isn't anything to gain by surprising everyone out of the blue. I'd much rather give everyone a chance to process it for a bit and share feedback if they have any. That only makes for a better end result for everyone.

------------------------------------

@IrishGuy - I gotta keep you on your toes 😆.

------------------------------------

@irishwavend - Streamlining access to the most popular forums is very much a part of the plan and probably the #1 focus from a structural standpoint with the upcoming changes. As for the ads, they are impression-based, but I am always experimenting with trying to find the right balance. I'm doing my best to keep them as unintrusive as possible for members (sorry guests!), but it's been tough to find that right balance.

To be fully transparent, even with the ads in place, the site is still slightly below breaking even when you factor in the costs associated with the site. I have a lot of ideas I'd love to pursue such as more relevant sponsorships, but the biggest roadblock is here definitely a lack of time. I spend a lot of time working on the site, but it's very much a passion project of mine while my full-time gig can be very demanding. One day though.... 🤔💭

Oh, and definitely feel free to send me a message! I'd love to coordinate and see what else we can try. Thanks for your willingness to lend a hand.

P.S. For a more forum traditional layout, you can use this toggle to change the default way forums display for now:

image.png

• Heart 3

• 2 weeks later...

A Quick Update:

The big update isn't coming until 2024, but I need to move some things around in preparation. Since the changes I'm working on now are navigation-related, I can't do them behind the scenes without putting the site into maintenance mode. I'd rather leave the site open, so expect to notice a few changes here and there. 😉

• Heart 1

Notable Changes:

1. Removed the old homepage, making the site default to the forums page.
  2. Restructured the forums/new homepage to give an at-a-glance view of everything in one place.
  3. I cut down the board to 3 contained forums where subforums are grouped
  4. I updated the navigation to reflect the changes

Relevant Content Shown on the Homepage

• Forums
  • Recent Updates
  • YouTube Playlist - Curated by @FaithInIrish Forever
  • Popular Topics
  • Recruiting Updates

---------------------------

This was a big/necessary step to make sure the transition goes as smoothly as possible once we're ready. Please let me know if you have any feedback.

Thank you!

• Cheers 2

• 1 month later...

A Brief Update (January 2024)

• Recent forum layout changes are more prep for the update on the way.
  • I removed or cut back on a few features since I expect compatibility issues with the update. Certain areas like the homepage may look a bit more bare for a bit.
  • Date for the upgrade is still TBD. I expect it to be at least a few more months, but hopefully before the 2024 season starts.
  • Please let me know if you run into any issues

Thanks, everyone!

• Heart 2
  • Cheers 1

1 hour ago, TexasDomer said:

Just don’t mess up my IGNORE function, please!🙏 

I don't expect that to go anywhere or to have any issues. If it does, I'll be on it like white on rice.

All this rice cooker talk on the forums has it bleeding into my analogies now. Damnit.

• Laughing Leprechaun 2

• 5 weeks later...
19 hours ago, Rocketsan said:

I'd be happy to just stay logged in...

Do you ever delete your browser's history or cookies? You shouldn't be getting logged out and I'm not aware of it happening to anyone else.

Anyone else in the thread, can you let me know if you have issues with getting logged out?

1 hour ago, Mike said:

Do you ever delete your browser's history or cookies? You shouldn't be getting logged out and I'm not aware of it happening to anyone else.

Anyone else in the thread, can you let me know if you have issues with getting logged out?

I delete nothing and had to log in again to post this

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks, @Rocketsan for the new forum graphics on the homepage!

And for anyone wondering, we're still a few months away from the update. I expect to start beta testing sometime in May with a rollout well before the season starts.

• Heart 1
  • Cheers 2

• 1 month later...