2024 Roster Math

I think JD will have as high of a stock as possible, he has been the backbone of a good defense for the past 3 years. I think fisher should stay another year as I agree with the announcers during the Wake Forest game, he is still a project and he could come back and be "the guy."

Changing my predictions a bit...

I think Xavier Watts will come back. It's not a sure thing, but he was not announced during Senior Day, even though he has already graduated. Apparently, he is working on his masters and would likely need another two semesters to complete that degree. He is a finalist for a few national awards and will likely be named an All American (probably second or third team) at the end of this season. I thought he would strike while the iron is hot, but I respect it if he comes back to improve his draft stock. He has really only been a starter for one season, so another year could really help him develop into a Day 2 pick (no idea how his measurables compare).

I think Marist will come back. This is more of me hoping than hearing anything, like with Watts. He improved dramatically from last year to this year, but still has work to do. I think he needs another year of strength and conditioning - he seems too small to hold up in the NFL. If he leaves after this season, I bet he gets drafted in Day 3. Maybe coming back in 2024 will help him get to Day 2. I know Dane Brugler (The Athletic CFB Scouting/NFL Draft guy) loved him as an underclassman.

I still think Mills leaves. Nothing concrete on this, more of a hunch. It sounds like NFL scouts love him. He has great size. I bet he tests really well. I believe Bruce Feldman of The Athletic had him on his annual Freaks List.

I think Nana will leave. This is entirely based on Senior Day, as he seemed more emotional than most. I could see him going the grad transfer route to a lower-tier P5 team to get more playing time. But I'm sure ND will try to convince him to come back. He would likely be a captain if he did. He would just have to accept a similar role to this year as a second teamer getting 15-20 snaps a game.

To echo Big's post above, it sounds like Fisher will leave. Nobody thinks he is ready yet, and I'm sure the coaches will share his NFL feedback (he'll get a "return to school" grade) and try to convince him to stay. But it sounds like a situation where Fisher thinks he is more ready than everyone else does. Would be a huge loss, as there are not a lot of guys who can play OT on the current roster.

My opinions on the rest of the guys have not changed from the above post.

• Heart 2
  • Cheers 1

I've had the impression since your earlier post, tneun, that most grads are leaving.  Senior Day was packed, and that gave me the sense that a lot of them are heading out.

I hope Fisher and Watts stay, but Watts should probably take advantage of his buzz.  It solves the scholarship #'s real quick.  And we'll have a handful of transfers out, too, so I'm betting we'll again be active in the portal, as we'll need some experienced dudes and we'll have scholarship space.

On 11/10/2023 at 12:12 AM, Baldy said:

Same goes for Correll, because he has been put on his a** too many times this season. What sucks is he still has two years of eligibility remaining. 🙄

Agreed - Ashton looked  better, and has more eligibility / a higher upside

• Flames 1

On 11/20/2023 at 12:55 AM, Big23Head said:

Sounds like Fisher is looking to move on. All three senior LBs as well. I think if any of them come back it’s Marist. 

Sounds like Marist is gone. II is reporting Mills, Watts, Cross, Kiser are guys they think lean toward returning. Sounds like Cross is a definite yes right now. 

• Heart 2

43 minutes ago, Big23Head said:

Sounds like Marist is gone. II is reporting Mills, Watts, Cross, Kiser are guys they think lean toward returning. Sounds like Cross is a definite yes right now. 

This is good news for sure!

• 2 weeks later...

With the recent transfers and senior bowl invites accepted (Liufau, Bertrand, and Hart), ND is currently sitting at 88 scholarship players for 2024. Which is not too bad, however, I think everyone is expecting ND to get 3-5 players from the transfer portal. This means that ND will need to see 6-8 more departures from the current roster. I see a few people going through spring practice and realizing that they are not the starter, then transferring in April (particularly on the OL).

QB - Leonard
WR - Mitchell, maybe another one
DB - Clark

I like that DT from Penn that looks like a copy of R. Mills

• Heart 1

ND will have no issues getting under the 85-player limit.

There will be many more transfers out, probably at least 10 more - some in this first transfer window and some after spring practice when players find out where they stand on the depth chart.

In addition to Leonard, Mitchell, and Clark. I expect ND to land another WR, maybe an OT, maybe a TE, at least one DL (maybe 2), maybe LB (depending on if Kiser comes back), one safety, and one kicker. 

ND will likely add between 8-10 transfers when all is said and done.

• Cheers 2

57 minutes ago, tneun89 said:

There will be many more transfers out, probably at least 10 more - some in this first transfer window and some after spring practice when players find out where they stand on the depth chart.

In addition to Leonard, Mitchell, and Clark. I expect ND to land another WR, maybe an OT, maybe a TE, at least one DL (maybe 2), maybe LB (depending on if Kiser comes back), one safety, and one kicker. 

So by this math ND will need to lose close to 30 players to NFL / exhausting eligibility, transfer or medical?   I.E. 15-21 more than we know about already? 

Agree with tneun.  I didn't see it going down like this, but they will easily reach the 85 without much restraint or further pain (hopefully).

7 are graduating. 10 have entered the portal already.

6 Alt, Estime, Bertrand, Liufau, Hart, and probably Watts are going pro. I'd bed Mills, too.

9-12 other portal, retirement, and NFL possibilities, including spring transfers:  Fisher, Kristofic, Minchey, Angeli, Payne, Colzie, Bauman, Mills, Cross (hope he stays), Kiser, Lewis and whoever else couldn't hack the lonely winter.

We're down 32 scholarships with a class of 23 coming in.  Talich eared a ride, Kia back from mission.  Still have 7 incoming transfer spots. and there will be some more unexpected departures from the young guys that just aren't thriving at ND.

• Heart 2

6 hours ago, tneun89 said:

OT - Only if he is a stud, I have my doubts that they will get one from the portal

TE - I doubt that as well. Evans and Raridon will be 1A and 1B next year and there are less than a handful of TEs out there that could challenge those two.

LB - I do not think they will get a LB at all, they are stacked with young talent at LB

DL - I do think they will get one, but not sure who at this point. I think a lot depends on what Cross/Mills do.

Kicker - I think they HAVE to get a kicker because they do not have anyone for next year

59 minutes ago, NDhoosier said:

OT - Only if he is a stud, I have my doubts that they will get one from the portal

TE - I doubt that as well. Evans and Raridon will be 1A and 1B next year and there are less than a handful of TEs out there that could challenge those two.

LB - I do not think they will get a LB at all, they are stacked with young talent at LB

DL - I do think they will get one, but not sure who at this point. I think a lot depends on what Cross/Mills do.

Kicker - I think they HAVE to get a kicker because they do not have anyone for next year

Agree on OT. Has to be a starter, and those are hard to find in the portal.

Disagree on TE. Evans is coming off an ACL and won't be fully healthy until the season - will miss all of spring and fall camp (ramping back up). Raridon has had two ACLs. ND can't rely on those two, plus Flanagan (who I'm really high on), walk-on Davis Sherwood, and true freshman Jack Larsen. They need a guy for depth purposes at least, IMO.

I go back and forth. Agree they are stacked with young guys, but do they really want to go with 2-3 really inexperienced guys next season? If Kiser stays (which sounds possible), then I agree - no need to grab one. But if he goes, they sure could use a guy with some experience.

On DL, it sounds like there are a couple of Duke DLs in the portal that might have interest. But haven't heard anything concrete on this position.

And it seems to be the philosophy to get a transfer kicker every year. Hope they land someone as talented as Schrader.

• Heart 1

• 1 month later...
10 hours ago, Baldy said:

As a vet myself, I just absolutely love this!

Good pickup to add some depth too!

Interesting pick up.  It does not hurt our numbers, but how does he even have any eligibilty left?  I must misunderstand the rule, but I thought a player has four years of eligibility to complete typically within five years.  Wouldn't Goins' time have run out?  

1 hour ago, brian_nd88 said:

Interesting pick up.  It does not hurt our numbers, but how does he even have any eligibilty left?  I must misunderstand the rule, but I thought a player has four years of eligibility to complete typically within five years.  Wouldn't Goins' time have run out?  

That is correct but there are a few things that stop the clock. The biggest being religious missions (why BYU Players are older) and military service is also one, just not typical

• Flames 1

5 hours ago, Synoptico said:

That is correct but there are a few things that stop the clock. The biggest being religious missions (why BYU Players are older) and military service is also one, just not typical

Thanks.  That makes sense.  

• Heart 1