Freeman’s Offense - 1st Down

1 minute ago, Baldy said:

Speaking of the offense…

I guess it doesn’t matter at this point, because if true, this should have happened after the Louisville loss.

I haven't seen any ND sites corroborate this. Doesn't mean it didn't or won't happen, but I think this is more wishful thinking (that twitter account is run by a pro-ND person).

3 hours ago, tneun89 said:

I haven't seen any ND sites corroborate this. Doesn't mean it didn't or won't happen, but I think this is more wishful thinking (that twitter account is run by a pro-ND person).

Yeah, I tried to find more evidence to support this as well, and found nothing. Like you said, wishful thinking of a big time fan run site. 😂

• Heart 1

8 hours ago, Frankus said:

After a history of failure with 1st time head coaches-Terry Brennan-Gerry Faust, Bob Davie and Charlie Wies- Notre Dame hired another one. That says a lot, but that’s another discussion. 

What does Marcus Freeman have to do to not be in the failure category?

Let’s focus on his offensive philosophy, particularly 1st down  

Freeman came in with a simplistic, dogmatic offensive philosophy. We’ve got to run the football no matter what. That sounds great on paper, but what are the consequences? When you run Audric Estime on 1st down time and time again, defensive coordinators are going to adapt. When you mostly run on running downs and pass on passing downs, you’re tipping your hand. 

Freeman must develop an offense where  the QB can check out of runs with easy to complete passes on 1st down when the numbers aren’t favorable. You see this all the time in the NFL, where time and time again the best QB’s in the world, who can complete the most difficult passes,  check out of  1st down plays and throw simple to complete 2-7 yard passes designed to be “catch and run” plays.

This accomplishes a few things. Defensive Coordinators have to start adjusting to stacking the box and having the front 7 thinking run first. The QB gets into a rhythm of completing passes, and 2nd and short gives an offense a lot more options than second and 10. These passes aren’t wide throws to the far side of the field, like the pick six Hartman threw on 1st down Saturday. They are often very short inside throws to running backs, or quick slants and quick TE routes. The pass travels 2-7 yards from the QB to the target. This approach also takes into account personnel, which mean you  aren’t throwing to a TE on Clemson’s Jeremiah Trotter’s side. You throw it to the other side. You attack the defense’s weakest personnel, not their strongest. 

I don’t expect any changes this season, but if Freeman doesn’t change his approach on 1st down, it doesn’t matter who he brings in as an OC. As we saw this year, an inflexible smash mouth offensive philosophy only works when you have far superior talent. When the talent is similar, or better it is a recipe for failure. 

I don’t know how flexible, or willing to take a risk, Marcus Freeman is. In his post Clemson Press Conference, he talked about being spooked after Hartman threw his pick. Football isn’t a game of superstition. When a QB throws a pick on a difficult  far sideline route, you don’t stop throwing the football. You give him easy to complete passes to regain confidence and move the chains. 

It’s pretty easy to see why Marcus Freeman’s offense doesn’t move the chains. It is dogmatic and predictable. It’s not going to be fixed by harder work and more repititions. It’s only going to be fixed if Marcus Freeman changes his philosophy and adapts to being more flexible and multi dimensional in his offense’s philosophy. 

Will he change? We’ll see. The one similarity I see between Freeman and Faust is that he answer’s schematic questions with platitudes. If Freeman is going to succeed, he’s going to have to do a deep dive into schematic offensive football. I hope he can do it. He seems lost right now on the offensive side of the ball, but that doesn’t mean, despite his inexperience, that he can’t use the off season to get better at articulating and designing a better offense. And that starts on 1st down. 

Well said.  This is exactly why I stated in another thread that I would like to see Parker run the offense the way he wants to run it these last two games.  Right now he is calling plays according to how Freeman wants to run the offense.  Take the reigns off of Parker and see what he can do.  Its likely too late regardless.

• Flames 1

3 hours ago, NYGoldenDomer said:

Well said.  This is exactly why I stated in another thread that I would like to see Parker run the offense the way he wants to run it these last two games.  Right now he is calling plays according to how Freeman wants to run the offense.  Take the reigns off of Parker and see what he can do.  Its likely too late regardless.

It is too late, but at this point if doesn’t matter. So, I would agree…let’s see what he can do!

I know MF has talked about what he wants to see from the O as far as being able to run the ball at will, he has also admitted to his lack of experience on that side of the ball. I think the actual offensive design/plan and play calling is more on Parker. MF is an intelligent guy, he knows this is not his forte.

Yes, at the end of the day, as the HC he is responsible for everything: O, D, special teams etc. I have a hard time believing he will not make some changes whether its for these last few games or before next season rolls around.

• Heart 1
  • Leprechaun 1

Offense is definition of insanity right now.  It would be interesting to know how they're coming up with game plans and who's driving the in-game adjustments.  We're not making plays, and we don't seem to be adapting much.  I'd be surprised if it isn't already a committee, but they clearly need to change it up.

I always enjoy your posts @Frankus  

I’ll have to disagree with a few things as I think they are a little disingenuous. Call these excuses or whatever. But I do think Freeman has been a dealt a bad hand in some regards. 
For instance, last year Freeman had Pyne(which I just met recently) and Buchner as qb’s. We can blame him for not diving in the portal for one but hind sight is 20/20. Also looking back. Who was good?  That portal class for qbs really stunk. Freeman learned from that mistake and went and got one of the most decorated qbs in college history. He just hasn’t gotten the job done. 

This year…look at the state of the receiving class. ND is now starting a walk-on lacrosse player. A true freshman in Flores. Greathouse, another frosh, has started and got meaningful snaps, and then a litany of injuries including your best receiver who is a tightend in Evans. 
Blame that on whoever but it’s not like ND didn’t try the portal there. Smith the VT guy just up and retired after committing. So their is that. 
Then who schedules 4 straight prime time games against top 25 competition. I’d love to see Saban and Bama do that. I doubt they have ever in his tenure there. That type of scheduling is insane for anyone. Let alone a first time coach and ND. 

People can complain about Rees all they want but at least he was established. Rees leaving last second gave Freeman zero chance to hire a big time OC. He tried, something f’d that up. So he had to hire within. We’ll see what Freeman does in the off-season to negate this problem. 

Now after defending Freeman I will say he isn’t without faults. Play clock management has been an issue. Going for it and controlling g the refs is another issue. On that note, does anyone else find it weird that the other teams ND plays are hardly getting flagged. It’s like this every game. Not even a hold or illegal procedure?  I’m not a conspiracy theorist but something is definitely happening here. I don’t remember Clemson even having a flag until the second half. Really?  
Anyways, I’m willing to give him a leash for the time being. I’m not seeing Fuastian type losses by Freeman that looks like the team has zero clue on what they are doing. 

• Flames 1