What are we looking for against Pitt?

I just want to see the boys play.  A week off is needed but for me as a fan, it sucks  HAHA  If that bonehead is their QB, I want to see him on his back all day.  Lets dominate the first half and give Minchey some snaps in the second half.  LETS GO IRISH!

How about you all?

• Flames 1

1 hour ago, InLikeFlynn said:

I just want to see the boys play.  A week off is needed but for me as a fan, it sucks  HAHA  If that bonehead is their QB, I want to see him on his back all day.  Lets dominate the first half and give Minchey some snaps in the second half.  LETS GO IRISH!

How about you all?

Agreed, on all accounts! 😂 Bye weeks are super boring, but at least relaxing! 😅

What I want to see against Pitt is a clean, and well managed game.

Offense: score on every possession and control the clock. Defense: tons of pressures with around four sacks, and at least +2 in the turnover margin.

Overall, Notre Dame to be in control by the end of the first half. 🍻

Narduzzi games worry me because "invented-loosely" this reactive quarters defense that ND has stuggled with so much. The safeties read the formation and can fairly easily get involved in the run game. Yet the pass game is still sound because if they read pass they will stay deep.

https://matchquarters.com/three-coverages-every-quarters-team-needs-in-its-toolbox/

As always the Play-Action Deep Shot, or any other route that puts the safeties to a decision or "read" is an area ND has to execute and win.

Three Coverages Every Quarters Team Needs in Its Toolbox – MatchQuarters //  #ArtofX

• Flames 1

I've seen too many Pitt games come down to the wire to consider this an easy win. Pitt is down this year, but Narduzzi will have those guys ready to play. And ND Stadium will be very low energy on Saturday.

Some defensive rankings for Pitt:

• Scoring Defense: 24.6 points/game (62nd)
  • Total Defense: 321.7 yards/game (26th)
  • Sacks: 3.1 sacks/game (11th)
  • Passing Efficiency Defense: 141.1 (95th)
  • Rushing Defense: 126.4 (45th)
  • Turnovers Gained: 9 (77th)

The offense, as common under Narduzzi, is poor: 24.6 points/game (86th) and 320.9 yards/game (113th), but the defensive numbers really caught me off guard. Pitt usually has a great DL that makes a ton of tackles behind the LOS - usually rank very highly in sacks (and they do this year, as they are 11th) - but their rushing defense is not as stout this year. And their passing defense is pretty bad. They have a couple of good corners, so not sure what the story is there. Narduzzi loves aggressive CBs, so expect a lot of press coverage. That is worrisome for me because NDs WRs could not get open against the teams with really good CBs this year (NC State, Ohio State, Duke). 

I expect Pitt to stack the box and force ND to pass the ball. They'll leave their CBs on islands because they won't fear that NDs WRs can win those matchups. ND/Parker will have to get creative in the passing game. I'd love to see them use the RBs more in that aspect - I think Love is a big play waiting to happen and Price deserves more touches. I expect the TEs to be targeted heavily - I think they match up well against Pitt's LBs (including former ND player Shayne Simon who is a starter and captain, I believe). That will open up the run game, but I think it'll be tough sledding for Estime in the first half.

The good news is that Pitt shouldn't score more than 14 points. Their offense is bad, their QB is inexperienced, and ND's defense has been great for most of the season. 

I think the spread is too high (it was 19.5 but I think it's up to 20.5) because I have too many bad memories of these Pitt games being closer than they should be. I would guess that ND has a small lead at halftime (10-3, 14-7), but then picks things up in the second half. The over under is 44.5, and I like the under because I don't think Pitt can score and until ND/Parker prove otherwise, I don't have confidence in our offense.

Give me an Irish win, 27-10.

• Heart 1
  • Flames 2

2 hours ago, tneun89 said:

I've seen too many Pitt games come down to the wire to consider this an easy win. Pitt is down this year, but Narduzzi will have those guys ready to play. And ND Stadium will be very low energy on Saturday.

The offense, as common under Narduzzi, is anemic: 24.6 points/game (86th) and 320.9 yards/game (113th), but the defensive numbers really caught me off guard. Pitt usually has a great DL that makes a ton of tackles behind the LOS - usually rank very highly in sacks (and they do this year, as they are 11th) - but their rushing defense is not as stout this year. And their passing defense is pretty bad. They have a couple of good corners, so not sure what the story is there. Narduzzi loves aggressive CBs, so expect a lot of press coverage. That is worrisome for me because NDs WRs could not get open against the teams with really good CBs this year (NC State, Ohio State, Duke). 

I expect Pitt to stack the box and force ND to pass the ball. They'll leave their CBs on islands because they won't fear that NDs WRs can win those matchups. ND/Parker will have to get creative in the passing game. I'd love to see them use the RBs more in that aspect - I think Love is a big play waiting to happen and Price deserves more touches. I expect the TEs to be targeted heavily - I think they match up well against Pitt's LBs (including former ND player Shayne Simon who is a starter and captain, I believe). That will open up the run game, but I think it'll be tough sledding for Estime in the first half.

The good news is that Pitt shouldn't score more than 14 points. Their offense is bad, their QB is inexperienced, and ND's defense has been great for most of the season. 

I think the spread is too high (it was 19.5 but I think it's up to 20.5) because I have too many bad memories of these Pitt games being closer than they should be. I would guess that ND has a small lead at halftime (10-3, 14-7), but then picks things up in the second half. The over under is 44.5, and I like the under because I don't think Pitt can score and until ND/Parker prove otherwise, I don't have confidence in our offense.

Great analysis, and I agree with it all!

Let’s hope it’s not a close game, and ND can stay in control throughout and win by at least 17-20 points. Would love to have them cover!

Go Irish!!! 🍀🏈

• Heart 2

15 hours ago, tneun89 said:

The offense, as common under Narduzzi, is poor: 24.6 points/game (86th) and 320.9 yards/game (113th), but the defensive numbers really caught me off guard. Pitt usually has a great DL that makes a ton of tackles behind the LOS - usually rank very highly in sacks (and they do this year, as they are 11th) - but their rushing defense is not as stout this year. And their passing defense is pretty bad. They have a couple of good corners, so not sure what the story is there. Narduzzi loves aggressive CBs, so expect a lot of press coverage. That is worrisome for me because NDs WRs could not get open against the teams with really good CBs this year (NC State, Ohio State, Duke). 

Yes, Pitt usually plays ND tough. I just don't think that will be the case this time. I'm looking for the D to come up with a few turnovers that the O will turn into some easy scores. And it's all downhill from there...(meant in a positive way!)

• Heart 1
  • Flames 2