Hold on to your ND Football fan "Stock Shares"

3 hours ago, jessemoore97 said:

I'm very interested in the off season.  I think Golden will be gone for another job, and I don't know if Freeman will retain Parker or not.  Potentially we could lose both coordinators, and what does that process look like this time around?  Will Freeman be able to go out and get people he wants, or will Jack insist on having to hold his hand at the bargain bin yet again?

And for us all to learn, again, that after exhaustive national searches, it turns out that the best candidates to replace them just happen to already be on staff!

• Laughing Leprechaun 2

10 hours ago, mcgov12 said:

Not really, I was pretty pleased with a 4 TD victory over a top 10 undefeated team, all while ruining our biggest rivals’ playoff chances and qb’s heisman chances

I tend to agree.  The offense did what it needed to do.  It took advantage of both interceptions by Watts by scoring touchdowns on the short field.  With Morrison's interception, the offense again marched 50 yards for another touchdown.  In the second half, when USC pulled to 24-13, the offense answered with the long pass touchdown to Tyree. 

I think with the score and the defensive play, the offense did not need to press.  Still, I would have liked to see Estime get 100 yards.  I would have liked to see a couple of more scoring drives, including the two failed drives to start the second half.  

• Heart 1

On 10/22/2023 at 1:09 AM, nremdn said:

It will be very interesting to see how Freeman handles the offense going forward. I can’t imagine he’s too happy the offense has been so consistently bad since he took over.

To be fair, the offense was good early this season. Opponents were weaker and teams did not have a 'book' on Parker. Once opposing defenses started routinely pressuring the three interior OL and things imploded offensively for the Irish, Parker did not have a good counter. IMO, this is a sign of inexperience. Hopefully, the bye week will give Parker and team an opportunity to regroup.

My guess is that Freeman will retain Parker for another year. 1) Just like the D last year, the offense should improve in the second half (easier opponents except for Clemson and potentially the bowl game plus WRs should be healthier. 2) I think he will want to give Parker (and Rudolph) a full off season to have an impact. 

It would be great if ND could hire a seasoned analyst to give Parker someone to lean on. Someone with years of experience as a play caller as a type of mentor.

Edited by jbrown_9999
  • Heart 2
  • Flames 1

I'm still good with the Freeman hire. He's approaching the end of his 2nd season, so that 'inexperience' is fading fast.

Golden's D is so good now. Yes, there has been a period of adjustment, not only for Al Golden but also for the players going from Clark Lea to MF to Al Golden is a span of 3 seasons. That has to come into play.

Parker, hopefully, turns the corner these last 4 games of the season and gets back into that groove he had at the beginning of the year. I'm not ready to write him off just yet.

I also don't think MF would hesitate to make a change if he thought it was best for the team.

• Heart 4

7 hours ago, jimbo said:

I'm still good with the Freeman hire. He's approaching the end of his 2nd season, so that 'inexperience' is fading fast.

Golden's D is so good now. Yes, there has been a period of adjustment, not only for Al Golden but also for the players going from Clark Lea to MF to Al Golden is a span of 3 seasons. That has to come into play.

Parker, hopefully, turns the corner these last 4 games of the season and gets back into that groove he had at the beginning of the year. I'm not ready to write him off just yet.

I also don't think MF would hesitate to make a change if he thought it was best for the team.

Agreed. If the recruiting and the general feeling around the program was different, I’d be tempted to think otherwise. But he’s recruiting well, he’s fixed former player and other relationships his predecessor ruined, by all accounts loves being at ND, players families former players and everyone seems to love the guy. Is he the answer? I don’t know, but he’s worth giving a little bit of a leash to.
Interested in seeing how he handles coordinator situations if it comes down to it. He’s also got some guys on staff that are young and upcoming dudes that could get a shot, even if these internal promotions make some fans a little wary. Mickens, McCullough, Stuckey are all going to get a shot somewhere or another real soon.

• Heart 3

5 hours ago, mcgov12 said:

Agreed. If the recruiting and the general feeling around the program was different, I’d be tempted to think otherwise. But he’s recruiting well, he’s fixed former player and other relationships his predecessor ruined, by all accounts loves being at ND, players families former players and everyone seems to love the guy. Is he the answer? I don’t know, but he’s worth giving a little bit of a leash to.
Interested in seeing how he handles coordinator situations if it comes down to it. He’s also got some guys on staff that are young and upcoming dudes that could get a shot, even if these internal promotions make some fans a little wary. Mickens, McCullough, Stuckey are all going to get a shot somewhere or another real soon.

Yes, I’m hoping ND can hold on to guys like Mickens, Stuckey et al for at least another year or 2. If Al Golden moves on, and I really hope he doesn’t,  Mickens should get serious consideration for DC. The off-season will be interesting to see what current ND coaches get some consideration from other schools.

• Heart 1
  • Leprechaun 1

Gonna be another interesting spring, for sure.  There's sure to be some coaching attrition with outside opportunities.  Hopefully not too much.  Golden and Stuckey are going to get a lot of calls IMO.  I agree we probably retain Parker and Guidugli, so I don't expect an OC change - yes, an analyst or some sort of subtle role adjustment seems likely, and necessary.

Coaching changes aside, if we can close out the season and limit player transfers (or recruits leaving with the coach), I really like the trajectory.  Every team has positional questions to answer in the off-season, but I like the look of almost every position group.  Freeman's staff has improved recruiting a lot.  Now they have to retain and develop these kids.

We're going to be young next year - especially on D -  so growing pains are likely.  But I'm looking forward to December football in South Bend, and I think that's coming very soon with this group.

• Heart 1
  • Leprechaun 1