Is anyone else worried about strength & conditioning

In the 1st quarter several of the interior OL were blown off the ball.

Late 3rd 1/4 on the DL showed fatigue - missed tackles an got pushed back

It seems that as the season goes on, both lines are losing battles on this basis versus scheme / initial positioning.

How much do they miss Matt Balis?

But what do I know?

42 minutes ago, Wharton70 said:

In the 1st quarter several of the interior OL were blown off the ball.

Late 3rd 1/4 on the DL showed fatigue - missed tackles an got pushed back

It seems that as the season goes on, both lines are losing battles on this basis versus scheme / initial positioning.

How much do they miss Matt Balis?

But what do I know?

When the D is out there most of the 2nd half with little rest they are going to fold a bit.  Our OL was not firing off the ball and their short guys were getting up underneath and putting our guys on skates.  Only so much you can do sometimes.

• Heart 2

The defensive line is not great. Outside of Mills, Rubio and Baptiste, our defensive line is small and weak. Botelho has been a major disappointment and we don’t rotate guys in enough. 

Not as concerned with S&C, however it may be too early to tell. I expected a let down after an emotional game and playing a solid team on the road. Our lines got better as the game went on last week. 

• Heart 1

I'm more concerned about how two of our top receivers have hamstring injuries that prevent them from playing, 6 weeks into the season. I've never seen that at ND and don't know if it's due to S&C, or not enough simple warm up excercises, but something in the system is wrong. Has anybody else seen that in any other college fotball program this far in the season? I believe it's a very unique problem. 

• Flames 1

56 minutes ago, Frankus said:

I'm more concerned about how two of our top receivers have hamstring injuries that prevent them from playing, 6 weeks into the season. I've never seen that at ND and don't know if it's due to S&C, or not enough simple warm up excercises, but something in the system is wrong. Has anybody else seen that in any other college fotball program this far in the season? I believe it's a very unique problem. 

The times I've tweaked mine was usually not fully warming up and getting a good stretch, but that's me.  It could be a number of factors, but it's not unusual for a tweaked hammy.  Hopefully theirs aren't bad, but they can certainly linger.

1 hour ago, Rocketsan said:

funny, because for 85 percent of last week we were top tier in every facet of the game...

Agreed!

And maybe Notre Dame struggled due to  Duke being a lot better than anyone thought? Just maybe. 😜😂

• Heart 1

ND dominated the LOS against a much more talented team in OSU the previous week. 

Against Duke, the DL played well for a majority of the game. They gave up a lot of rushing yards by the end of the game, but there seemed to be 2-3 chunk runs that skewed the average. Duke had 34 and 33 yard runs. Their other 38 runs netted 122 yards (3.21 ypc). Obviously, the big runs count, but I thought the DL/front 7 played well for a majority of the game.

Not sure what is going on with the OL. A week after Coogan and Spindler looked like they took a step forward against the 4 and 5 stars from OSU, they looked really bad against Duke, as did Zeke Correll, who admitted after the game that it was his worst game. I think the OL's struggle was a combination of factors. They did not play their best by a long shot - Correll, Coogan, and Spindler really struggled. The Duke DL is better than their recruiting rankings would indicate. We know that Elko is a defensive wizard, so it's not surprising Duke played well. Also, ND was not able to pass effectively with only 3 healthy WRs, which probably allowed Duke to make it a priority to stop the run. I thought Parker's playcalling was suspect. It seemed like we only tried to hammer it inside, whereas we should have been running it outside the tackles with our superior athletes and solid blocking WRs/TEs. I would have liked to see Love and Price get some outside runs.

I think the OL will play much better against Louisville. While they have been really good against the run this year, they haven't really played anyone besides NC State (where their defense looked really good - only gave up 112 passing yards and 89 rushing yards). I can see ND having a lot of success on the ground on Saturday.

• Heart 3

On 10/1/2023 at 11:39 AM, Frankus said:

Earlier this year, I was looking at NFL injuries and it seemed that there were a ton of WRs with hamstring issues.

It certainly looked against Louisville that the lineman were not strong enough.

This can be poor S&C, too much banging in practice, and/or not proper rest.

Brian Kelly for many of his flaws had that regimen down to a science where ND wasn't having guys blow up all the time. He would talk about knowing when and how to rest guys so they're ready for kick off. It's no secret CMF practices are more intense than Brian Kelly's. 

This team needs rest and hopefully have enough juice not to get the brakes beat off next Saturday before the bye. 

• Flames 1

23 minutes ago, NYGoldenDomer said:

I am starting to feel like Balis sure is missed.  Even though the team is still running Balis' regimen, its likely not the same as if he was still here.

I agree. Sure was a sudden departure. S&C coaches are vitally important. Especially during the off season when they're basically the only one the players have continuous contact with. 

1 hour ago, The Captain 19 said:

I agree. Sure was a sudden departure. S&C coaches are vitally important. Especially during the off season when they're basically the only one the players have continuous contact with. 

Yea I really would love to know what happen with Balis.

• Flames 1
  • Cheers 1