What to Watch - Week 4

Very good slate of games this week ladies and gentlemen; get your popcorn ready. There is a Thursday game at 6:30 on ESPN, but both teams are uninteresting...

* All times are Central Time Zone

Friday
6:00 - NC State @ Virginia - ESPN - Would like to see NC State keep winning to make us look good
6:00 - Wisconsin @ Purdue - FS1 - Should be a decent game if the NC State game is a blowout.

Morning Games - Saturday
11:00 - #4 Florida St @ Clemson - ABC - Massive game!!! Can Clemson make a statement and get back into the national picture?
11:00 - #16 Oklahoma @ Cincinnati - FOX - The first decent test for Oklahoma who has been bulldozing the little peewee teams
11:00 - Auburn @ Texas A&M - ESPN - Neither team will be a contender this year, but this should be entertaining
11:00 - SMU @ TCU - FS1 - This should come down to the wire in my opinion

Afternoon Games - Saturday
2:30 - #19 Colorado @ #10 Oregon - ABC - The first test for Colorado against a good opponent, will the magic continue?
2:30 - #22 UCLA @ #11 Utah - FOX - Moore has looked good, should be a good matchup in the Pac12
2:30 - #15 Ole Miss @ #13 Alabama - CBS - Tale of two teams, one has a massive QB issue and the other has a solid QB. Will Bama be upset? Is it even considered an upset right now?

Evening Games - Saturday
6:00 - #14 Oregon St @ #21 Washington St - FOX - The two teams that got left out of the realignment, both have a desire to make a statement
6:30 - #6 Ohio State @ #9 Notre Dame - NBC - Go Irish!!!
6:30 - #3 Texas @ Baylor - ABC - Texas did not look great last week, will they bounce back and be dominant on the road?
6:30 - #24 Iowa @ #7 Penn State - CBS - Penn State gets a tough B1G game at home.

Late Night Games - Saturday
9:30 - #5 USC @ Arizona St - FOX - Future opponent in USC against a team with a pulse
9:30 - California @ #8 Washington - ESPN - May be a blowout, but only other game of any interest this late. How good will UW continue to look?

Edited by NDhoosier
  • Heart 1
  • Trophy 2
  • Cheers 1

Yes, finally a worthwhile slate of games! Here's my take on it all.

FSU/Clemson - Go FSU

Okie/Cincy -  Would like to see Cincy win this, but I don't think they will.

Auburn/Texas A&M -  Hope they both lose.

SMU/TCU - TCU back down to earth.

Colorado/Oregon - Think the Ducks take this going away. I see Deion talking about the death threats against the CSU player, basically saying that's nuts. Good on him. Sometimes he's 100% correct about things going on in college football. Other times, he's just a .....

UCLA/Utah - another good one, pulling for UCLA

Ole Miss/bama - Just don't care for Kiffin or Ole Miss. If they're going to beat bama anytime soon, this is probably their best shot.

Oregon St/Wash St - should be a good one, think Ore St pulls this out. Been impressed with the Oregon St coach the past few seasons.

OSU/ND - Of course ND and I hope it's not even close (though I doubt that!).

Iowa/Penn St - Iowa is boring

Finally USC/Arizona St - Not so sure if ASU actually does have a pulse!

• Heart 2

I'm rooting for Clemson since it will help ND in two ways: 1) Team above ND loses and 2) Helps ND's strength of schedule (assuming ND beats Clemson)

Likewise, I want Iowa to win to hurt Penn St. since they are above ND in the rankings

It would probably be better for Southern Cal to win so that they have a better record when they play ND but I am always happy to see the Trojans lose. 

• Heart 2
  • Flames 1

2 hours ago, jbrown_9999 said:

I'm rooting for Clemson since it will help ND in two ways: 1) Team above ND loses and 2) Helps ND's strength of schedule (assuming ND beats Clemson)

Likewise, I want Iowa to win to hurt Penn St. since they are above ND in the rankings

It would probably be better for Southern Cal to win so that they have a better record when they play ND but I am always happy to see the Trojans lose. 

I love hoping that teams above ND lose.

But, having witnessed ND getting absolutely hammered in the championship game and in the playoff game, I'm now hoping that ND is really good and deserving of being in those games.  I no longer want luck.  I want ND dominance.  Show it on the field.  Leave no doubt to anyone who didn't even see the game, just looked at the score.  Beat Ohio State by 10.  Then beat USC and Clemson, and do not lose to any other team (and Duke is looking tougher each week btw).  

Leave. No. Doubt.

I do believe this may be the best ND team in the last 15 or so years.  But they still have to earn it.  And if they do earn it, don't get embarrassed again.

• Heart 1
  • Flames 3

3 hours ago, AnTostal said:

I love hoping that teams above ND lose.

But, having witnessed ND getting absolutely hammered in the championship game and in the playoff game, I'm now hoping that ND is really good and deserving of being in those games.  I no longer want luck.  I want ND dominance.  Show it on the field.  Leave no doubt to anyone who didn't even see the game, just looked at the score.  Beat Ohio State by 10.  Then beat USC and Clemson, and do not lose to any other team (and Duke is looking tougher each week btw).  

Leave. No. Doubt.

I do believe this may be the best ND team in the last 15 or so years.  But they still have to earn it.  And if they do earn it, don't get embarrassed again.

Some luck is involved for any NC. Injuries (or lack of them), turn-overs in key games, etc. If ND played Kansas St in 2012, there is a good chance that the Irish might have won that NC while Alabama was left out in the cold. But it didn't happen...

For me, I would rather get into the CFP than not. Even if the results are not pretty. So I root for the Irish to make it in the top 4. 

• Heart 2

On 9/19/2023 at 1:36 PM, NDhoosier said:

Very good slate of games this week ladies and gentlemen; get your popcorn ready. There is a Thursday game at 6:30 on ESPN, but both teams are uninteresting...

* All times are Central Time Zone

Friday
6:00 - NC State @ Virginia - ESPN - Would like to see NC State keep winning to make us look good
6:00 - Wisconsin @ Purdue - FS1 - Should be a decent game if the NC State game is a blowout.

Morning Games - Saturday
11:00 - #4 Florida St @ Clemson - ABC - Massive game!!! Can Clemson make a statement and get back into the national picture?
11:00 - #16 Oklahoma @ Cincinnati - FOX - The first decent test for Oklahoma who has been bulldozing the little peewee teams
11:00 - Auburn @ Texas A&M - ESPN - Neither team will be a contender this year, but this should be entertaining
11:00 - SMU @ TCU - FS1 - This should come down to the wire in my opinion

Afternoon Games - Saturday
2:30 - #19 Colorado @ #10 Oregon - ABC - The first test for Colorado against a good opponent, will the magic continue?
2:30 - #22 UCLA @ #11 Utah - FOX - Moore has looked good, should be a good matchup in the Pac12
2:30 - #15 Ole Miss @ #13 Alabama - CBS - Tale of two teams, one has a massive QB issue and the other has a solid QB. Will Bama be upset? Is it even considered an upset right now?

Evening Games - Saturday
6:00 - #14 Oregon St @ #21 Washington St - FOX - The two teams that got left out of the realignment, both have a desire to make a statement
6:30 - #6 Ohio State @ #9 Notre Dame - NBC - Go Irish!!!
6:30 - #3 Texas @ Baylor - ABC - Texas did not look great last week, will they bounce back and be dominant on the road?
6:30 - #24 Iowa @ #7 Penn State - CBS - Penn State gets a tough B1G game at home.

Late Night Games - Saturday
9:30 - #5 USC @ Arizona St - FOX - Future opponent in USC against a team with a pulse
9:30 - California @ #8 Washington - ESPN - May be a blowout, but only other game of any interest this late. How good will UW continue to look?

NC State
IDC
Clemson
Cinnci
IDC
IDC
Oregon
UCLA
Ole Miss
IDC
GO IRISH
Texas
Iowa
USC
Cal

Gotta hope to continue to prop up the teams the Irish already beat and the teams they have to play down the line.  I also hope to move some higher ranked teams out of the way.  Regardless, just take care of business on the football field and everything should work itself out.  

• Heart 2

23 hours ago, jimbo said:

FSU/Clemson - Go FSU

Iowa/Penn St - Iowa is boring

Finally USC/Arizona St - Not so sure if ASU actually does have a pulse!

I gotta cheer for Clemson because like jbrown said, it helps ND in two ways

I do agree that Iowa is boring, but Penn State is finally playing a decent team and part of me still thinks Penn State is overrated.

You may be about ASU, they have looked pretty bad this year...

• Cheers 2

11 hours ago, NDhoosier said:

I gotta cheer for Clemson because like jbrown said, it helps ND in two ways

I do agree that Iowa is boring, but Penn State is finally playing a decent team and part of me still thinks Penn State is overrated.

You may be about ASU, they have looked pretty bad this year...

Its the one thing I hate about college football.  Always having to root for opponents on weeks ND doesn't play them.  There's times I almost feel like I am a USC fan...ewww I almost threw up in my mouth... 

But yea, Clemson gotta win this weekend.  It props them up, therefor ND's SOS, as well as removing FSU from the picture in front of us.  Same reason to root for USC, hopefully they're still undefeated when they come to South Bend.  Same reason to root against Penn State, so they move out of the way.  I will admit, me rooting for Texas kinda contradicts where I am going with this though.  I like Texas so I don't mind if they're up in the top 4 with Notre Dame.  Regardless, none of this matters if the Irish don't take care of their own business.  GO IRISH

• Laughing Leprechaun 2

6 hours ago, NYGoldenDomer said:

Its the one thing I hate about college football.  Always having to root for opponents on weeks ND doesn't play them.  There's times I almost feel like I am a USC fan...ewww I almost threw up in my mouth... 

But yea, Clemson gotta win this weekend.  It props them up, therefor ND's SOS, as well as removing FSU from the picture in front of us.  Same reason to root for USC, hopefully they're still undefeated when they come to South Bend.  Same reason to root against Penn State, so they move out of the way.  I will admit, me rooting for Texas kinda contradicts where I am going with this though.  I like Texas so I don't mind if they're up in the top 4 with Notre Dame.  Regardless, none of this matters if the Irish don't take care of their own business.  GO IRISH

I love you dude, but I have to disagree about rooting for USC. No matter what, I will never, ever…ever, root for them! I just hate them so much! Same goes for Michigan! 🤢🤮

20 hours ago, Baldy said:

I love you dude, but I have to disagree about rooting for USC. No matter what, I will never, ever…ever, root for them! I just hate them so much! Same goes for Michigan! 🤢🤮

The better USC's record, the better ND's strength of schedule.  The NFL is checkers, college football is chess.  Every bit helps.  Starting next season, when the field widens to 12 teams, it won't be as necessary.  We don't play Michigan every year so there is no reason to root for them lol

• Heart 1

7 minutes ago, NYGoldenDomer said:

The better USC's record, the better ND's strength of schedule.  The NFL is checkers, college football is chess.  Every bit helps.  Starting next season, when the field widens to 12 teams, it won't be as necessary.  We don't play Michigan every year so there is no reason to root for them lol

Trust me, I get it. And that‘s a great point, so well said! 🍻

9 minutes ago, Baldy said:

Trust me, I get it. And that‘s a great point, so well said! 🍻

Also, let me clarify.  I wouldn't say I "root" for USC, or anyone else.  I don't get excited when they make plays, score, win, etc.  I just hope that they win for ND's sake.  As soon as ND is out of it and it doesn't matter what any of our opponents do I am back to rooting against everyone.

• Flames 1

1 hour ago, NYGoldenDomer said:

Also, let me clarify.  I wouldn't say I "root" for USC, or anyone else.  I don't get excited when they make plays, score, win, etc.  I just hope that they win for ND's sake.  As soon as ND is out of it and it doesn't matter what any of our opponents do I am back to rooting against everyone.

Yeah, makes sense. And no need to clarify, because I know you don’t “root” for USC. I normally “pull” for our opponents once ND has beaten them, but I can just never for do it for USC.