Not a popular take about the Kicking game

It’s something we don’t think about often as an important part of our team. But I think Shrader is going to win a game we don’t expect to and lose a game we don’t expect to this season. We will be in some tight games coming up I think. He has a big leg but hasn’t had enough opportunities to “ get his legs under him” yet. Just a feeling.

I could see that, but to be fair, his misses have been far from gimmies. The Navy miss (42 yards) was not great, but his only other misses since then have been from 55+ yards out (56 yards at NC State, 59 yards against CMU). He's only 3-6 on the season, but 4 out of the 6 were attempts from 50+ yards. At least he has the leg and has Freeman's/Biagi's confidence. 

But get what you're saying. I wish he had some more attempts from 40 and in.

• Heart 1

So, my wife brought up a very good point, so I had to come back here to see what everyone thought. She said, why would Marcus continue to go for it on 4th down multiple times if he trusted his kicker? I know Marcus said he wants to be aggressive, but she said maybe he goes for it on fourth down more because he knows that Shrader is not accurate enough and doesn’t trust him.

Shrader’s one miss against Navy was wide left. The one against Ohio State was wide left too I think? I know Shrader hasn’t kicked many, but he’s 3-7! That’s 42%, which is so bad! I sit here and wonder why if he has such a big leg, he can’t kick it straight if it’s 40 yards or further? I mean, he is fine with extra points, so maybe the inaccuracy has to do with power?

I’m sure I’m overreacting here, but man, Biagi’s special teams has pretty much been a non factor all season. Seeing as how there are three parts to a team, and Special Teams is one part of it, that’s not good. That’s what makes the difference in beating very good teams, which against Ohio State, Special Teams would have made a difference.

Man, I really miss Mason and I hate that the Colts had to take him away. 😭 Eff the NFL and their selfish arse’s! 😡

Okay, rant over. It just makes me sad is all.

• Heart 1

8 hours ago, Baldy said:

So, my wife brought up a very good point, so I had to come back here to see what everyone thought. She said, why would Marcus continue to go for it on 4th down multiple times if he trusted his kicker? I know Marcus said he wants to be aggressive, but she said maybe he goes for it on fourth down more because he knows that Shrader is not accurate enough and doesn’t trust him.

Shrader’s one miss against Navy was wide left. The one against Ohio State was wide left too I think? I know Shrader hasn’t kicked many, but he’s 3-7! That’s 42%, which is so bad! I sit here and wonder why if he has such a big leg, he can’t kick it straight if it’s 40 yards or further? I mean, he is fine with extra points, so maybe the inaccuracy has to do with power?

I’m sure I’m overreacting here, but man, Biagi’s special teams has pretty much been a non factor all season. Seeing as how there are three parts to a team, and Special Teams is one part of it, that’s not good. That’s what makes the difference in beating very good teams, which against Ohio State, Special Teams would have made a difference.

Man, I really miss Mason and I hate that the Colts had to take him away. 😭 Eff the NFL and their selfish arse’s! 😡

Okay, rant over. It just makes me sad is all.

Dang she makes a real good point.  I love Freemans aggressive nature but she is right, take the points in big games, especially early.

• Flames 2

Agree with most of you guys here. I think this last game changed my mind into that they don’t have a ton of confidence in his accuracy right now. He’s certainly got the leg for it and they haven’t exactly put him in great high percentage situations, but I would not rate my confidence as high right now.

• Heart 2

6 hours ago, InLikeFlynn said:

Dang she makes a real good point.  I love Freemans aggressive nature but she is right, take the points in big games, especially early.

Yeah, agreed! Take the points when you can get them…at any point and in any game!

4 hours ago, mcgov12 said:

Agree with most of you guys here. I think this last game changed my mind into that they don’t have a ton of confidence in his accuracy right now. He’s certainly got the leg for it and they haven’t exactly put him in great high percentage situations, but I would not rate my confidence as high right now.

That is how it seems for sure. But as you said, put him in higher percentage situations, which should help build his and everyone else’s confidence! 🤞🏼

• Heart 1

19 minutes ago, NYGoldenDomer said:

And don't they have 2 or 3 other kickers on roster as well?  Unless Shrader is nailing everything in practice, more than the other guys, why isn't anyone else getting a turn in a game situation? 

I though of this exact same thing!

And who cares if you have a big leg, because if you can’t hit the board side of a barn, then to the bench you should go!

On 9/29/2023 at 3:19 PM, NYGoldenDomer said:

And don't they have 2 or 3 other kickers on roster as well?  Unless Shrader is nailing everything in practice, more than the other guys, why isn't anyone else getting a turn in a game situation? 

I heard on a podcast last week that there isn't even the slightest competition for place kicker. Schrader is the guy, regardless. 

I would like to see Zac Yoakam get a try - he did well kicking off last season, but I think the staff is going to role with Schrader and trust that he gets it figured out because they like his experience and his leg strength.

• Leprechaun 1

1 hour ago, tneun89 said:

I heard on a podcast last week that there isn't even the slightest competition for place kicker. Schrader is the guy, regardless. 

I would like to see Zac Yoakam get a try - he did well kicking off last season, but I think the staff is going to role with Schrader and trust that he gets it figured out because they like his experience and his leg strength.

Yea I heard the same...despite there actually being 4 rostered kickers.  And the funny part is we put a soccer player in the NFL as a kicker...

• Flames 1

2 hours ago, NYGoldenDomer said:

Yea I heard the same...despite there actually being 4 rostered kickers.  And the funny part is we put a soccer player in the NFL as a kicker...

Yup, and if’s so confusing!

And yeah, good ol’ Brandon Aubrey! That’s who tneun and I have for our fantasy kicker! 😂 He’s pretty darn solid!

Maybe Notre Dame needs to look at a soccer kicker for next season? 😜

• Laughing Leprechaun 1

2 minutes ago, FaithInIrish Forever said:

Blake Grupe? Think he kicks for the Saints now. I know Grupe is right not sure on his first name.

Yesss, Grupe.  Think I'm wrong about him though.  Maybe it wasn't last season.  Maybe '21?  I just remember another season recently that the kicker was a headscratcher.

4 hours ago, NYGoldenDomer said:

Who was the kicker last year?  I'm having a hard time remembering his name.  I just remember him being questionable most of last season as well.  I miss Justin Yoon lol. 

The Saints kicker last season, and who was with them for quite a while, was Will Lutz.

He was traded to the Broncos with the Sean Peyton deal.