What are you Looking for Against NC State?

I want to see alot more of the same.  O-Line setting the tone and the D staying stingy.  

Other than that I want to see how the young bucks perform in their first true road game.  I have been pleasantly surprised by the freshmen and see big things in the future for them.

What say you?

• Heart 2

I'm looking for another game where the offense doesn't turn the ball over. Hartman wasn't always stellar when playing NC State when he was at Wake, but obviously he had less talent around him at Wake than ND (although, Wake's WRs were probably better as a whole). The OL has to get better - there were some misses in the first half against TSU that put pressure on Hartman and gave the RBs less room to run. A few of Estime's longer runs were the result of him breaking tackles, not necessarily the size of the hole he was running through. I like the TEs to continue to get more involved, and - simply for the sake of the WR room - I hope Merriweather makes some plays. 

On defense, I'm looking for the DL to set the edge and keep contain. I don't expect ND to get more than one or two sacks. But that's fine - Armstrong is a very dangerous runner and breaks a lot of tackles. The DL can't let him get outside where the LBs/DBs will have to take him one-on-one. This is also the first real test for the secondary, but I expect them to play well because (1) they have good players, and (2) Armstrong is not a strong downfield passer - against UConn, he made most of his passes at or near the LOS.

I think Marcus has done a great job of getting the team ready to play each week. There was no let down against TSU, although it took a series or two for the defense to settle in. But you can't beat your first two opponents 98-6 without being an extremely well coached team. You can't score 11 TDs in 12 drives with the starting QB (the other being a missed FG) without having a great offensive gameplan. And you can't hold opponents to 6 points total and no TDs in two games without being able to adjust defensively early on in the game.

The competition is much better this week, but NC State is mid-tier ACC team that has lost at least 4 games every season since 2002, except for 2021 (9-3). Road games are tough, but ND is better in the trenches and Hartman is better than Armstrong. It won't be blowout, but I think ND should win by 10+ points. 

• Heart 1
  • Flames 2

On 9/6/2023 at 8:23 AM, InLikeFlynn said:

I want to see alot more of the same.  O-Line setting the tone and the D staying stingy.  

Other than that I want to see how the young bucks perform in their first true road game.  I have been pleasantly surprised by the freshmen and see big things in the future for them.

What say you?

Yup if the Wolfpack comes out in true single safety. I look for it to be on Hartman to make them pay, If they play double safety look for "Run Show" to continue. I look for one of these good teams to try single safety. Double safety Sam's wiling just to hand it off and take underneath passes all day.

• Heart 3

2 hours ago, Rocketsan said:

In all honesty, I want to see struggles on both sides of the ball to see how these guys handle adversity. I’d rather have to work through some issues today than I would against OSU…

I'm down with that.  Define struggles though.  I'd really prefer to handle a team like this easily but if there are some struggles to be worked out I agree wholeheartedly get it figured out against a team like this than OSU or USC.  

• Flames 1

Mike
This post was recognized by Mike!

"Rocketsan is a psychic 🔮"

Rocketsan was awarded the badge 'Superstar' and 25 points.

4 minutes ago, NYGoldenDomer said:

Define struggles though. 

Some adversity...turnovers...some deep pressure challenge on our DBs...a cake walk at the end is fine but I'd far more prefer some quality reps.

• Leprechaun 1