Postgame - #13 Notre Dame vs Tennessee St. (Win 56-3)

Not sure I can find much of a fault here. Little bit of a slow start, but both sides came around and turned it into the type of game it should have been. Good getting backups in, 8 different players scores a td, starters played a half or a half plus. 

• Heart 2

First off, it was an FCS team, and Notre Dames’s first. But, they beat them the way they should have!

Offense: Just clicking on all cylinders. Hartman, once again, was in control and made some great plays. He just read the field so well, made good decisions, and put the ball in the right places. He did make a few mistake at times though, and was slow on some of his throws. Offensive Line had issues in the first half, but got it going in the second half. I feel some of the poor blocking was on late execution by Hartman. Running backs played very well, and is so deep! Three out of the five had TDs, which is crazy! WRs we’re one of the best, and made plays when they needed to. There were no crucial drops, and appeared to catch everything! So happy for Chris getting his first receiving TD of the season, along with Staes, and Evans making huge plays late in the game.

Defense: Started out slow, as always, but made a lot of great plays, buckled down late and held TSU to three points! Botelho and Jean-Baptiste had some great moments. Bertrand and Sneed as well, along with Burnham late in the game. So happy for Lewis getting that pick six too! Morrison should have had a pick, but he was only thrown to like two times the whole game! 😳

Special Teams: Much better than the last game. Field goal blocked, and we’re close to one punt block. Late in the game, had decent returns and looked in control besides that one kick return for TSU that went 40+ yards.

Overall, very happy Notre Dame kept their foot on the pedal and beat the crap out of TSU! Covered the spread! 😆

Oh, and super happy to see the second and third team get reps…finally!

• Heart 2

I didn't like the way the D started the game but obviously everything turned out as good as you could have hoped for.

My main takeaway is that Angeli looks poised and accurate.  I am well aware of who the opponent was but it was still nice to see.

If Angeli's performance is hypothetically a true indication of his abilities, the level of potential transfer QB ND should consider, just went up.  If his talent is truly what we saw today, ND shouldn't bring in a transfer with anything less than Hartman's ability.  

Nice start to the season boys!!

• Heart 1
  • Flames 1

Best part of this game was watching the backups.  I know it was an FCS school, but even our walk on RBs ran hard.

Also, didn't matter in this game, but I'm not sure why the guy who knocked out Devyn Ford didn't get ejected for targeting.  That was a much more egregious hit than Carter's and clearly the guy led with his head.

• Flames 1
  • Cheers 1

Just got home from the game. HOT HOT HOT

I never thought I’d see another band come in and drown out the ND band during the game.  I am now a huge fan of the TSU band. If the ND band could be that entertaining and loud during the game it might be helpful. Im tired of hearing Taylor swift songs at a college football game

• Heart 2

3 hours ago, Joey D.... said:

Just got home from the game. HOT HOT HOT

I never thought I’d see another band come in and drown out the ND band during the game.  I am now a huge fan of the TSU band. If the ND band could be that entertaining and loud during the game it might be helpful. Im tired of hearing Taylor swift songs at a college football game

Taylor Swift songs should never be played at any FB game!!

• Heart 1

I got to see most of the first half, and none of the rest.  I was happy to see that we didn't give up any more points and almost hung 60 on them.  As it's already been mentioned, take it with a grain of salt considering the level of completion, however just like Navy last week we took care of business like good teams should and left no doubt by halftime.  So we seem to be learning from last season, and in general from the previous staff.  Keep the foot on the gas.

I have no real complaints from what I did see and from the highlights.  I'm glad to see the back-ups get PT, and not just the last series.  Now the real work is beginning against better opponents.  Hopefully a good comfort level is setting in for the team with these two dominant victories and their confidence levels are high, but realistic in the weeks to come in each other and the staff.  It just seems like a much different team this year for a lot of reasons even against weak opponents thus far.  They seem more polished thus far.

• Heart 2

17 hours ago, 4thand1 said:

If Angeli's performance is hypothetically a true indication of his abilities, the level of potential transfer QB ND should consider, just went up.  If his talent is truly what we saw today, ND shouldn't bring in a transfer with anything less than Hartman's ability.  

On its face, I agree.  But Angeli's performance benefits from two factors which keep me from this conclusion:

1) This was Tennessee State.  Can't evade that.

2) This was an already demoralized team, down 35-3.  It wasn't even Tennessee State at its best at that point.

• Heart 1
  • Cheers 1

8 hours ago, ndmike88 said:

The score looks great and playing more players is beneficial but remember this was TSU. It was like watching a professional sports team playing against a high school varsity team.

ND has looked great the past few weeks, but the level of competition hasn't been there. The NC State will give everyone a better of who ND really is.

Season 1 Drama GIF by The Roku Channel

• Heart 1
  • Laughing Leprechaun 1

Here’s where I’m at… The offense looks different, as much as Tommy’s offensive mind could scheme and gameplan… I think he got in his own way at times. Over thinking and trying to be precise with every single playcall. It is refreshing to feel like we have a play caller willing to just look at what he has and put his players in positions to make plays.

I’m obviously partial to Marcus given my time with him but he’s as good as they get! This unit will continue to grow. I don’t know that they have an elite playmaker but they may be the best overall unit he’s had here. Sound. We will get to know a lot more in Raleigh this weekend.

• Heart 1
  • Flames 1
  • Cheers 1
  • Leprechaun 1

6 hours ago, TexasDomer said:

On its face, I agree.  But Angeli's performance benefits from two factors which keep me from this conclusion:

1) This was Tennessee State.  Can't evade that.

2) This was an already demoralized team, down 35-3.  It wasn't even Tennessee State at its best at that point.